Off season

terrym

Off season

Post by terrym » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I have a problem. My 2.5 yr old Britt is now used to being hunted 3 times a week and busting with energy. He gets walked and run off leash everyday but he's always looking for more. How often do you get your dogs out into the woods in the off season? I plan on taking him to the game farm as often as i can afford it but that does add up quickly.
Last edited by terrym on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Brittany getting agressive.... Help!

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:09 am

You need to know that neutering DOES NOT stop agressiveness if that's the reason your thinking about it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 am

Sounds like he's using pre-emptive aggression to keep younger dogs in line. Just exactly what is he doing? Posturing? Growling? Attacking?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:10 pm

How do you get those hunt test scores. I must be missing something The highest you can get here is 60. Cj

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:15 pm

cjhills wrote:How do you get those hunt test scores. I must be missing something The highest you can get here is 60. Cj
CKC hunt tests are scored on 100 point scale.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Sounds like he's using pre-emptive aggression to keep younger dogs in line. Just exactly what is he doing? Posturing? Growling? Attacking?
If the young dog gets too close he will start a fight with it. Ignores older dogs.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You need to know that neutering DOES NOT stop agressiveness if that's the reason your thinking about it.
That is the only reason i would have him neutered but trust me it will take allot of expert convincing to get there. Just looking for options.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:28 pm

An alpha mentality dog is going to be that way all his life most likely.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Is it young dogs, or in your face ill mannered dogs. I have a hard time believing he thinks to himself, any dog under 4 comes near me and you are dead.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Stay out of the dog parks for more reasons than his aggression. Only hunt him with dogs he knows, but watch him closely around people, especially around young kids that might run up to him, startledly him.

Enjoy him, I don't think you have a real problem.

Neil

pointer

Post by pointer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Im with Winchey in that I have a hard time believing the dog knows the age of the dogs it fights. I suspect it is a posturing issue you are not noticing. Fixing the dog wont help but it won't hurt either. I would neuter the dog because of future health issues and because I would not consider the dog to be breed worthy. Others might disagree, but a young dog with aggression issues is not breed quality to me. I have plenty of alpha males and females and fighting other dogs has never been an issue. A dog fight is always possible, but should not be a constant pattern. I also agree with Neil in that you need to watch this dog around people and particularly little guys.

I would keep and hunt this dog in situations where I could control things at all times. I would not trust him otherwise until he has proven and earned the right to be trusted around both other dogs and people. Otherwise, I wish you the best in fixing your issue.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Have you ever heard of a non agressive dog becoming agressive after being neutered? I HAVE!!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:55 pm

I have a dog that can be intolerant of rude dogs. I agree with neil and pointer. Don't put him in situations you can't control, like dog parks. I can work it out with borded dogs I have in my control. 99% of the time I can predict the dogs that dog will attempt to put in their place. Not an ideal dog to have, get good at reading and handling him or get rid of him.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:02 pm

cjhills wrote:How do you get those hunt test scores. I must be missing something The highest you can get here is 60. Cj
And you can't get a 60 at an AKC test. They average them so the highest you can get is a 10.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:44 pm

pointer wrote:Im with Winchey in that I have a hard time believing the dog knows the age of the dogs it fights. I suspect it is a posturing issue you are not noticing. Fixing the dog wont help but it won't hurt either. I would neuter the dog because of future health issues and because I would not consider the dog to be breed worthy. Others might disagree, but a young dog with aggression issues is not breed quality to me. I have plenty of alpha males and females and fighting other dogs has never been an issue. A dog fight is always possible, but should not be a constant pattern. I also agree with Neil in that you need to watch this dog around people and particularly little guys.

I would keep and hunt this dog in situations where I could control things at all times. I would not trust him otherwise until he has proven and earned the right to be trusted around both other dogs and people. Otherwise, I wish you the best in fixing your issue.
Nope. Dog adores people and kids. Hunts with other dogs quite a bit and never had any issues. As for breeding him i couldn't care less. Didn't buy him to breed just my personal hunting dog/pet. He hasn't got into a serious fight yet as i have always been close enough to intervene and break it up. I have seen other dogs do the same to him so I doubt this is unique.

pointer

Re: Off season

Post by pointer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:32 pm

I guess we don't have a problem then. Your the one who asked for help with aggression or at least I think that was what was asked.

It would appear we no longer have an aggressive dog but an energetic one that needs exercise based on the changing of the OP. I hope the abundant energy stays towards dogs and good luck with your energetic dog.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Talk about a hijacked thread.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 pm

terrym wrote:I have a problem. My 2.5 yr old Britt is now used to being hunted 3 times a week and busting with energy. He gets walked and run off leash everyday but he's always looking for more. How often do you get your dogs out into the woods in the off season? I plan on taking him to the game farm as often as i can afford it but that does add up quickly.

That is not the post I responded to. So? ?????

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Public forums are probably the worst place to ask about aggression. I have never met a person yet that wasn't defensive when someone said they or their dog has a problem. Lets just forget it and in tune with the season worry about what is actually important.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:23 pm

PM me Terrym. I have a dog like that and it is mostly a posturing thing that I learned to watch for. Good dog, but I know how to read him now....
terrym wrote:
pointer wrote:Im with Winchey in that I have a hard time believing the dog knows the age of the dogs it
. I suspect it is a posturing issue you are not noticing. Fixing the dog wont help but it won't hurt either. I would neuter the dog because of future health issues and because I would not consider the dog to be breed worthy. Others might disagree, but a young dog with aggression issues is not breed quality to me. I have plenty of alpha males and females and fighting other dogs has never been an issue. A dog fight is always possible, but should not be a constant pattern. I also agree with Neil in that you need to watch this dog around people and particularly little guys.

Nope. Dog adores people and kids. Hunts with other dogs quite a bit and never had any issues. As for breeding him i couldn't care less. Didn't buy him to breed just my personal hunting dog/pet. He hasn't got into a serious fight yet as i have always been close enough to intervene and break it up. I have seen other dogs do the same to him so I doubt this is unique.