Pup Eating Stools

Sierra Wirehair

Pup Eating Stools

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

A disgusting habit. I was wondering if anyone had any causes or fixes for this behavuior? We have tried pinapple juice in the foods and it does help when we are consistent.

Luisia02

Re: Pup Eating Stools

Post by Luisia02 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 am

Try 1 teaspoon of tomato paste in their food.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

Sierra Wirehair wrote:A disgusting habit. I was wondering if anyone had any causes or fixes for this behavuior? We have tried pinapple juice in the foods and it does help when we are consistent.
I heard giving actual pineapple works better than just juice.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

go to the health store and buy some chlorpphyll ,after a few days your dog will stop eating it.
It helps aid in digestion, cleanses the blood and neutralizes odors ,once your pup get out of the habit you can stop.
stool will be green and will not have an odor, do not use. if your trying to breed a bitch as she will not have as strong of an odor that attracts the male.
or change your dog food ;your pup is not digesting all what he eats.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Almost every dog does this if given the chance. There is still lots of "good stuff" in that feces and it is not to be wasted. :? Only solution is to pick up the poop immediately.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 pm

taxidermy wrote:go to the health store and buy some chlorpphyll ,after a few days your dog will stop eating it.
It helps aid in digestion, cleanses the blood and neutralizes odors ,once your pup get out of the habit you can stop.
stool will be green and will not have an odor, do not use. if your trying to breed a bitch as she will not have as strong of an odor that attracts the male.
or change your dog food ;your pup is not digesting all what he eats.
I think it has been proven over and over it has nothing to due with the feed or the digestion. It just plain smells good to a dog and I think it is more an act of boredom than anything else.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

out of more than 135 hunting dogs i never had one eat their own poo but most of them like the cat poo, as far as the smell ;that is why you use the chlorophyll if you have the prob.
i do not think this is true "Almost every dog does this if given the chance."
I'v had hunting dog since 1970 and foo-foo dogs since 1952.
the food thing was my opinion after reading many vet articles,
but you may know better than i, ezzy, so i'll go with that.

BTW i think it's nasty

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Nothing like a smoking pile of horse doo to arouse a young dog
Fester :oops:

carlsutton

Post by carlsutton » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Every dog I have had has eaten poop when young. Youngun's also love to roll in cow dung, the fresher the better, roll over on dead critters especially dead skunks and porkies. Pulling quills out later does not seem to discourage the next roll on a dead porky. Eating fresh horse droppings seems to be a fun past time for the young one's. Somehow someway it must go back the genetic behavior of the wolf. Just get a doggie bath tub and be prepared to give baths. Diaper changes come with babies, dog baths come with puppies. It's just part of life's cycle and no way no how are you going to change it. Just accept it, and by the way, a doggie tooth brush helps with bad breath, or at least makes me not want to cringe with the next affectionate lick.

Carl Sutton

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 am

I have seen several poo eaters cattle, horse and even dog eating other dogs doodle, they get over it. It will not harm the pup as much as it harms the owners stomach, not nice to watch. Lions that are the top predators and they also do it!

Would not worry to much about it as soon as the dogs gets to work and find birds most naughtiness stops, my 2c.

Remember to enjoy your dog :D

sean english

Post by sean english » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 pm

I am having the same problem with my pup. I contacted the vet and they said give them the pineapple treatment. That only works if they eat their own. She eats other dogs' stool. I cant feed all the dogs in the neighborhood pineapple. lol
So, I watch her closely when we go for a walk and as soon as she gets close to eating stool or anything else, I say No. She is getting better. I hit her the other day with rolled paper after she defied my "No" command and after that she does a lot better. I think she will grow out of it.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:34 pm

My Vet told me that if I could come up with a solution to the stool eating I would be a millionaire.
Frozen turds seem to be the most enticing. Rather than feeding them their food, pickup some frozen turds and put them in the bowl. I look at it like this, if you want to eat skat have at it, have all you want. Turns them right off.

Have had some success with Adolphs meat tenderizer sprinkled on the feed.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Vman wrote:My Vet told me that if I could come up with a solution to the stool eating I would be a millionaire.
Frozen turds seem to be the most enticing. Rather than feeding them their food, pickup some frozen turds and put them in the bowl. I look at it like this, if you want to eat skat have at it, have all you want. Turns them right off.

Have had some success with Adolphs meat tenderizer sprinkled on the feed.
Man! There's an idea! They're not called s**t eatin' dogs for nothing! I've seen dogs absolutely chow down on horse droppings, although they seem to have an affinity for cat poop. Turkey will pick through horse poop for spent grain. And chickens? Well, they're just chickens!

Yes, it's gross to us humans, but the critters don't seem to make the same value judgements.