laundry packing dog

cole.nelson782

laundry packing dog

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Well every time someone comes through the front door my dog thinkd he needs to go into the laundry room and bring laundry out to whom ever it is, I don't want him to do this. Even after he brings it to you and releases it to hand and you put it back and tell him leave it he will continue you to do it. Any ideas.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: laundry packing dog

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Shut the door.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mstng_ray

Post by Mstng_ray » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

My girl does the same thing and I end up with 15 socks and my wife's bra under our bed. So now the doors stay shut.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm

if there isn't a door teach leave it and get on her for not leaving it...doesn't sounds like she understands what leave it means...

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm

You nailed that he thinks i dont know he goes in there he only leaves it when he can see me.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Shut the door to the laundry room :roll:

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Your dogs bored. Take him out more to burn energy

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 am

He packs pillows the rug from the kitchen whatever he can get a hold of. He only does it when someone walks through the door.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 am

Sounds like you have a great retriever there. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Try closing the door if you have one. Other then that your dog sounds to be a supurb in the retrieving department. I wouldn't make a fuss over it with him. He's doing what he's breed to do. Even if its your laundry to hand. :lol:

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 am

As soon as the door bell, rings, get your dog. Take him to the door with you and tell him to sit. Make him heel and sit quietly beside you until you are finished with the company. You can train this by having "scheduled company." Ask your girlfriend/wife/friend/neighbor to help and set a time. Have a leash handy and leash him right before they ring the bell (cell phones work). Bring the dog as described and let the helper in. Talk just a moment or two. Helper leaves. Go to the kitchen and get a treat. Door bell rings again, back to the door with dog. Helper leaves and it's treat time. You can see where I am going. Repeat the training two or three times per session for 2 or 3 days in a row and reinforce each time the bell rings and he'll be waiting at the door for burglars when they ring to see if you are home.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 am

By the way, your problem is HILARIOUS! I can just imagine my dog dragging out some of my wife's lingerie for my parents to see when they cam a'callin.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 am

Hattrick wrote:Your dogs bored. Take him out more to burn energy
naw, just excited. My pup picks up his toys to show off every time some one comes in the door as well. He could have just hunted 8 hrs or not been run in a week, his reaction is the same.

I would second the door bell training, but I prefer having him go to his kennel when people come to the door. That way you don't have to deal with him at all and you can focus on the person at the door. Once they are settled in I'll let him come out and introduce himself :)

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 pm

If he packs it its always my clothes. Ill try the door training and see if that helps at all if you dont call him to you he will carry them around for what seems like forever but more like 30 mins.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 pm

I have 2 that do the same thing but I get dinosaur bones from my butcher for them and it's funny as heck when they greet people with hugs bones in mouth. Incidentaly they are the two best retrieving Vizslas that I've had.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm

My older dog Roxi loves to carry things, socks are a favorite. As a pup, I never scolded her for "stealing" anything, usually let her prize the item for a moment, commanded give, gave the item back to her, command give again, and put the item up, with a pat for being a good girl. She will carry grocery bags, backpacks, whatever...and she is so proud about the whole thing. I never leave the laundry room door open, but when she came out in the living room with a dirty sock, I realized I had today. What was really interesting today, is that my husband went into town to get our mail and took Roxi for the ride. It happened that other volunteer firemen were at the station across the street, so he stopped in and Roxi got to run around the building, soaking up the attention. After a while, and out of no where, she started prancing to him with a sock. What in the heck he thought. Where could she have gotten that? He went across the building and behind some trucks to the rows of open closets where they hang their gear. He had had a pair of wool socks stuck inside his boots, beneath turnout clothing, and like a heat seeking missile--she perused the building and found them. This is a big building building with 3 rooms, 6 big trucks, and around 24 personnel gear closets. I'm sure she used her nose :lol: , but dogs just amaze me sometimes.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Thats funny he hasnt done that yet