Words of Wisdom

GSPDoglover

Re: Words of Wisdom

Post by GSPDoglover » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 am

I find it quite interesting how different the rules are for you guys. For us the dog should automatically sit when a bird is flushed after a point. If not you will be penalised in a field trial. We are however not allowed to give the sit command in the FT, as the dog should do it automatically. The dog must then retrieve the shot bird on command. We never use the whoa command. Also e collars are not at all allowed and it seems as if you are allowed to use them.

It is interesting to know that there are differences.

So let me correct my initial post.

In South Africa the most important command is the sit command as this is how we train our dogs and what is expected at our field trials.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am

Lol.

Ya for south Africa that seems like it would be the #1 command.

For American field trials if your dog sits after the point, sits on a stop to flush, or while backing you will take everyone's breath away (in a bad way) . Although you won't have to pick up your dog you might as well.

We can not use e-collars during a field trial. Also depending on the circumstances you can not give your dogs certain commands or caution the dog

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm

It is not easy !
Basic training with a snack on a young dog is not to difficult, I figure in 7 months you got to win on the sit command at any distance. All you have to teach most hunting breeds is discipline and be able to stop them, the hunt they born with !

By spending 10–15min a day and not over train you will have a hunting buddy for many years to come.
Keep it short and exciting when they young rather praise rather than punish possitive reinforcement works far better a friend will help you far easier than the enemy.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 pm

ultracarry wrote:Lol.

For American field trials if your dog sits after the point, sits on a stop to flush, or while backing you will take everyone's breath away (in a bad way) . Although you won't have to pick up your dog you might as well.

We can not use e-collars during a field trial. Also depending on the circumstances you can not give your dogs certain commands or caution the dog
We are all novice handlers that train on trial and error in SA, the sit command is basic and this way you can stop your young dogs when furr comes into play(rabbit&buck) without a e collar. They only sit/stop if they run into birds when scenting is bad and they fly up without being pointed. This breed hunts well handling them is the final test for any handler the kind of dog and style is bred, that is why it is importend to choose right when buying a dog.

Pity trials with German Shorthaires are only bound to the country you live in, English pointers have a Championship level were all dogs that qualify can compete from all over the world.

blackbart

Post by blackbart » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:08 pm

hi I"m looking for an english pointer. any advice?

Leadhead

Post by Leadhead » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Rule Number 1: Never give commands that you dog has not mastered or understands
Rule Number 2: Nerve never forget rule number 1

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

blackbart wrote:hi I"m looking for an english pointer. any advice?

Get one.

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 pm

I have learned that when you go to pick up your dog from your trainer (if you use one), you may find that your dog might do everything perfect for your trainer,,,but that won't necessarily be true when you get your dog out to work for you. I have had to let my dogs know that i too know how to work the EC. It is hard to do your own training if you dont have access to birds and land. I have since joined a pheasant club, where i can go to buy birds (quail) and work my dogs anytime i want to. It has helped tremendously.
Glenn

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Birddawg wrote:I have learned that when you go to pick up your dog from your trainer (if you use one), you may find that your dog might do everything perfect for your trainer,,,but that won't necessarily be true when you get your dog out to work for you. I have had to let my dogs know that i too know how to work the EC. It is hard to do your own training if you dont have access to birds and land. I have since joined a pheasant club, where i can go to buy birds (quail) and work my dogs anytime i want to. It has helped tremendously.
Glenn
This is why it is important that YOU also participate in the training. While it may not be practical for those who send their dogs great distances to a trainer, it will certainly work out better for all concerned if you start training with your dog under the trainer's guidance ASAP. Even if it means every other weekend or something similar, you'll wind up learning as much as the dog. Plus you will both know & understand the trainer's methodology so that when the dog comes home you can build on that foundation.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:50 am

Your Dog will make you a better hunter, watch him and learn.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 pm

1. The only think anyone really NEEDS to fully train a dog is a piece of rope and birds.

2. Don't get in a hurry to put your hands all over your dog in training. Sometimes the worst thing a trainer can do is anything.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

james0225

Post by james0225 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 am

dog training lesson should be short in duration (most of the time) and high in reps to obtain the best results. Far too many pet owners make the following mistakes:

a. long sessions, no reps
b. a few days a week, rather than a few short session a day.

JOESTEAD

Post by JOESTEAD » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Dogs, like humans, have bad days. Some days it's best to just bring him home or put him back in the kennel.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:37 am

When you train a "flusher / retriever" you want them to sit at the flush (hup). A pointing dog must stop (stand still) to flush.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:When you train a "flusher / retriever" you want them to sit at the flush (hup). A pointing dog must stop (stand still) to flush.
No you do not, but there's already about 20 threads on that topic.
Last edited by nikegundog on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:53 pm

nikegundog wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:When you train a "flusher / retriever" you want them to sit at the flush (hup). A pointing dog must stop (stand still) to flush.
No you not not, but there's already about 20 threads on that topic.
I stand corrected. Thats what you get when your a pointing breed guy and go by word of mouth and what you hear.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:41 pm

hunting birds in pa for 46 yrs.growing up we had no training advice like we get on here.
we just went hunting with our dog. no training .
secret was LOTS OF BIRDS and time to hunt.

it was that easy.we always had real good hunting dogs,some were not great and others were.
so my advice is this.

spend time in woods around BIRDS.
if you dont have lots of birds,you will not have a dog that is real good.
get in car or truck and get to state where there are birds.i know most cant do this .

me i enjoy just being in woods with dog.sad what has happened to our hunting in pa.
i go to maine every year for 3 weeks.
i flush about 15 grouse a day .dog goes CRAZY.

without these wild birds, your dog is not going to learn as much.

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am

I remember these words I was given by the guy we bought our first bird dog from. We were rookies and the dog was a very good 6-year old hunter (still is). He said "If she's not hunting right, then you're doing something wrong." Sometimes you have to trust your dog.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am

Words of dog training wisdom....
#1 "Shut up" or "keep quiet" in a more polite expression.
#2 Trust
#3 Patience and keep it fun
#4 Don't reward bad behavior
#5 Make sure the dog understands any discipline
#6 Let the dog drive the progression rather than any age
#7 Watch Internet advice

yogi

Post by yogi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I hunted with a some friends and one friend of mine who has a Gsp that does not hold point. He breaks faster than a union worker at 10:00. The rest of the day everyones dogs broke on every bird. My advise, if you hunt with someone whos dog isnt trained. leave, or leave your dog in the truck.

mask

Post by mask » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:33 pm

yogi wrote:I hunted with a some friends and one friend of mine who has a Gsp that does not hold point. He breaks faster than a union worker at 10:00. The rest of the day everyones dogs broke on every bird. My advise, if you hunt with someone whos dog isnt trained. leave, or leave your dog in the truck.
Yep or at the very least go in two different derections.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 am

Don't just work your dog, worth WITH your dog.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

allaboutdogs

Post by allaboutdogs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 am

Dog is a man's best friend.

"Train up a dog the good manners so when he is old he will remember it."

carlsutton

Post by carlsutton » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Think ahead of what might go wrong and be prepared for it. Having the dog ALWAYS wearing the expensive electronics can prevent disasters. A delayed chase, ONCE THE DOG KNOWS IT IS A NO NO, is a good time to reach out with some Ben Franklin juice, or as the wife says, A T & T calling, pay attention. If in doubt, don't do it!!!!!

When training and it is one of those days when you just wish somebody would do something correct, just pack up the gear. Give each dog a scratch behind the ear and a little TLC, load them up and GO HOME. They have not intentionally done anything wrong. We have no right to punish and they have not done anything to deserve punishment. We have never liked having our behinds kicked just because someone in charge woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Think before acting. It is not how you intend it to be, but how the dog perceives it to be. Was breaking a friends bitch and all was going well until: she started blinking birds, going past 50 ft or yds, doing a 180 and racing back to bump and chase. The first time it happened I was "what the H". Started watching a lot closer, saw the blink (just a quick turn of the head and a dropped shoulder ever so slight), called her to me, loved her up big time, snapped a lead on and took her back to the chain gang. After three days of this she was staunch as a post and never blinked again in her life. No e-collar correction, no yelling, no obvious correction at all. Just a time out and ignored all the protest while working other dogs. I could not discern any advantage to me with having an out and out confrontation with this very stubborn girl. She figured out it was in her best interest to play the game by my rules. She got her Senior Hunter in 5 attempts and if her retrieves were better would have had a Masters.

Carl Sutton

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Grant,
I do not know if you are still on this email thread, but if you are not and there is someone coming to dog training for the first time or even with some expeience, the advice on this thread is outstanding. Read it, and if you do not understand write and ask a question. Here are three items that are worth repeating:
1. When starting out with a dog in Junior Hunter trust your dog. The very first bit of advice I recieved from a judge, "Son, trust your dog it knows more than you do!"
2. Patience has been written all over his email thread, yet it repeatedly is violated. If you find yourself annoyed that your dog is not performing they way it should, the way it always did before, or it is being ornary - QUIT and leave the field for another day. Do not come back and try again the same day because you will still be anxious! I would venture to say almost 80% of all male handlers have this problem, so it is probably you that I am addressing!
3. George Hickox once said, the greatest tool for a dog handler at any level is DUCK TAPE. This also has been mentioned here a number of times, but I can not tell you the number of AKC or NAVHDA handlers that talk too much in the field. Keep your mouth shut unless asked a question in any test!
4. And e-collars. As in sports, If an athlete makes a mistake trying its best, do you punish or coach? However, If there is a clear indication of an unwillingness to listen or follow directions - I do not turn up the juice - I will never punish!!! I return to basics and repeat the drill and instructions until the sequence is learned. A good trainer only uses the e-collar at a low enough level to reinforce what is to be learned, and Never Ever as a tool to punish. Like the drills many of you experienced in high school or college sports, they were never fun and some were worse than that, but all were necessary.
Thornapple

buckeyebowman

Re:

Post by buckeyebowman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:02 pm

ViniferaVizslas wrote:
Deer Hunter wrote: Never punish your dog when he finally decides to come to you.
A couple weeks ago my dog brought me a chukar.

I had kicked up the planted bird and it flew a short distance into the woods. My dog remained steady while I fired a blank (I'm in the process of breaking her). I called her off and directed her to hunt the field we were working, which she did for about 50 yards before cutting right into the woods, round to my right, tracked the running bird out of sight for several minutes and delivered it to me. She was a bad dog, she did what I told her not to, she knew it, but I accepted the bird with a "good girl".

What else could I do?
Congratulations! You cannot possibly punish a dog that delivers a bird to your hand! I'm a total newb at this and even I'm not that dumb! This is exactly how my first bird dog, a Springer, trained me!

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

Training is understanding.

You must first understand what you dog can and cannot do.

Then train your dog to understand what you want him to do.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:29 am

yogi wrote:I hunted with a some friends and one friend of mine who has a Gsp that does not hold point. He breaks faster than a union worker at 10:00. The rest of the day everyones dogs broke on every bird. My advise, if you hunt with someone whos dog isnt trained. leave, or leave your dog in the truck.
Why do you think one dog breaking (not staying staunch) has an effect on another? I say neither is trained. Short of a landmine going off, my dogs are expected to hold point no matter what happens around them, no matter why a bird flushes. Don't let the actions of another dog be an excuse for your dog's lack of manners. Near the end of their training I always run them with an untrained dog. You all need higher standards.

Oh, and I don't worry about shooting unpointed birds for the same reasons.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:18 am

Dont blame the union worker either. Again blame yourself for having a lower standard of working conditions.

Ky_field_trialer

Post by Ky_field_trialer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 am

Be patient. I know everybody wants to have their dog ready as soon as possible but usually your dog will be doing great and then start acting stupid and messing up,so my advice is to stay patient

Benjammin

Re:

Post by Benjammin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm

pear wrote::D
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

I like that. So true, make me laugh

SD44

Post by SD44 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Patience, consistency, simplicity and love. If you spend just 15 minutes a day training your dog you will get the dog you deserve. If you don't spend 15 minutes a day you will get the dog you deserve.
Cheers,
SD

skeetermc

Post by skeetermc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Obedience obedience obedience the rest should be God given talent. Don't screw it up!

Greatwhitenorth

Post by Greatwhitenorth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Higgins wrote:RULES OF TRAINING

1- Dogs are pack animals. Be the leader.

2- Stop talking.

3- Be patient and consistent.

4- It takes birds to train a bird dog (no birds = no bird dog).

5- Quality dog work is not between you and your dog. It's between your dog and the bird.

6- Let your dog learn to manage the bird.

7- Instead of trying to get your dog to point, allow him to learn
he can't catch the bird. Staunch, stylish pointing will follow
naturally.

8- Don't teach whoa around birds. Whoa has nothing to do with
birds.

9- When working birds, your dog has not made a mistake until he puts a bird in the air.

10- The dog must know what the command means before he can be corrected for mistakes.

11- An electric collar is not used to teach a dog to perform a
command. It is used when the dog has a complete understanding of the command and chooses not to do it. An electric collar is for reinforcement only.

12- Give the command once, don't raise your voice, and always use a release command.

13- Never give a command you can't or won't enforce.

14- If you ignore or don't correct for an unwanted behavior, you are agreeing with and encouraging that behavior.

Our goal is to create a well mannered hunting partner that, through minimal pressure or correction, has maintained all his natural style, desire and birdiness.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gun Dogs
Great advice. Thank you!

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Hello Greatwhitenorth,

That was an older version. Here is the updated version from my website:

1. Dog training is dog psychology. Learn to understand your dog. Try to see everything from his point of view.

2. Dogs don’t see things in terms of “packs” or “leaders”. Any social structure they display is related to hunting strategies. You want your dog to defer to you because through experience, he sees you not as a “pack leader” but as the most successful hunter.

3. Stop unnecessary talking. Take the time to learn to handle your dog.

4. Dogs are highly motivated to please themselves. A dog becomes cooperative and respectful when he realizes that you are in control of something he wants (a bird in his mouth).

5. When learning to hunt and handle, dogs don’t make mistakes, they try options. In order to learn what works, they need the opportunity to try options that don’t. It’s how the predator mind is wired.

6. Let your dog learn to manage the bird. He gets his cues from the bird, we just reinforce what the bird tells him.

7. Quality dog work is not between you and your dog. It’s between your dog and the bird.

8. Instead of trying to get your dog to point, allow him to learn he can’t catch the bird. That he needs you to kill it for him. Staunch, stylish pointing will follow naturally.

9. Dogs learn by observation, association and trial & error (trying options). Keep this in mind whenever you’re training (or not training!).

10. It takes birds to train a bird dog.

11. Don’t teach whoa around birds. Whoa has nothing to do with birds.

12. A finished dog understands that a bird in the air (stready to wing), a gunshot (steady to shot), the sight of a pointing dog (honoring/backing), a flushing bird (steady to flush) and a bird falling (steady to fall) all mean stop and wait for me.

13. Once your dog understands the command, give the command once and always use a release command.

14. Never give a command you can’t or won’t enforce.

15. When it comes to dog training, timing and consistency are most important.

16. Learn to read your dog.

17. Be patient and be sure the dog understand what you want before assuming he is refusing.

18. If you ignore or don’t correct for an unwanted behavior, you are agreeing with and encouraging that behavior.

Brad Higgins
HigginsGundogs.com

Greatwhitenorth

Post by Greatwhitenorth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Love it! Thank you. Words of wisdom for my first pudelpointer.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Be patient, be firm, be consistent. Remember always, your dog wants to please you ... don't confuse him about what you want.

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Haven't been at it long, but I have learned a few things.

If you can, take a little energy out of the dog (exercise, etc) before serious training, especially with a pup, they will be more compliant, patient, and attentive.

Never train angry. If you're mad corrections may not be as effective and you could totally turn the dog off to something by making it discipline and end up having to do twice as much to recover.

Patience, patience, patience.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Don't hold a grudge and look at everyday like a new opportunity to learn for you and your dog.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:53 pm

nikegundog wrote:
No you do not, but there's already about 20 threads on that topic.
Why wouldn't you want your flushing dog to be steady? I mean, I know most aren't, but I would WANT them all to be steady.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:06 am

Rule #1: Have Fun!
Remind yourself how fortunate you are to have the chance to be in the field with your pup. Then, observe and appreciate being able to work with your dog to witness the natural ability they possess. Remember too, that we learn more from our failures than our successes, while dogs seem to learn just the opposite.
A dog on point.....steady, yet trembling,
Breathing in and tasting the gentle breeze.
Take a moment for yourself to soak it all in,
All the training, the hard work.....it really has paid off.

Lily: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=4
Chevy: http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=6

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 am

ultracarry wrote:Lol.

I don't think it is a geographical difference. It is the pointing game vs flushing / retrieving game. I know the Huntsmith group (Delmar, Rick and Ronnie) teach the "sit still" command for the F&R's

10Sam29

Post by 10Sam29 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

TRUST YOUR DOG....

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:45 pm

I don't know if it was said...but never get angry with your dog...one second or two can cause you to go backwards in training big time. :) Our dogs are with us and it is up to us to be fair in teaching them. :)

CZell

Post by CZell » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi All,

New to this great site and have been out of the doggie games for about 5 years (while going back to school). Just jumped back into it with a young little springer and having a lot of fun.

This is a long thread - but wanted to offer my two yen. A few pieces of advice that come to mind: (1) train for momentum and style (confidence). Control and then precision will arrive in time through attrition. (2) Seek to communicate and understand your dog at all times - focus on this. Teaching requires communication (both ways).

Disclaimer: neither of these two adages are my own. It's just these two principles have gotten my out of quite a few training jams.

Chris

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:07 am

Two of my own:
1) "When in doubt, do not shout."
Dogs can learn from mistakes a lot faster if you let the logic of the lesson sink in. Too many people need to hear themselves when dog training.
Try reading a complex manual when someone is yammerin' in your ear!
2) "Sometimes I'm the teacher. Sometimes I'm the student." Even after all of these years, you'd be surprised what you can learn from any given dog, IF you are perceptive.

evilstepdad

Post by evilstepdad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:49 am

If there's a good deal on a used remote thrower in good condition don't hesitate buy it. Lesson learned the hard way and now it will probably be a new one when I'm ready for about $125 more than I could have gotten one. Oh well

dobrostarr

Re:

Post by dobrostarr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:46 am

Thor wrote:It is o.k. to loose a battle every now and again as long as you win the war.

An ol'timer once told me," You can always give a dog brakes but you can't always give'em gas." :wink:

good one

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm

If you want to make a lot of money, hang with those that have lots of money. If you want to learn to train well, learn from those that have a rich history (and just not a 1 hit wonder) of well-trained dogs or successful competitors (assuming they are willing to share).
Lastly, keep in mind that the definition of a "brag dog" can vary immensely - almost as much as someone's definition of a finished dog. ;)

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 am

The e collar is one of the best training tools ever invented! The e collar is one of the worst training tools ever invented, for people who have themselves, not been trained first, on how to use them!

I believe more dogs are ruined using the e collar than before, when no e collar was available...