help !!!! She wont do it

waterfowltime26

help !!!! She wont do it

Post by waterfowltime26 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

I have a dog that is 95% lab and 5% something else, the only problem is that she doesn't want to retrieve, its like she is halfhearted about it. Wat can I do so she wants to retrieve!! I've tried sikeing her up, and using her different objects and I get 50% percent from her. I'm working on force fetch with her, my last resort is using dead pigeons. Sooo what can I do?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: help !!!! She wont do it

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 pm

What makes you think she is 95% lab and 5% "something else"?

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Get on a modern, sequential training program --- and TRAIN THE DOG properly :? ... :?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

waterfowltime26

Post by waterfowltime26 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Doc E wrote:Get on a modern, sequential training program --- and TRAIN THE DOG properly :? ... :?

I am, I've had 2 trainers come and asses her and they say she doesn't have it in her. I was just asking on her as a last ditch effort.

Gooseman07

help !!!! She wont do it

Post by Gooseman07 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm

I've had one of those dogs and after a while, he just shut down. I can't get him to retrieve anything now. He just wants to follow me around.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 pm

spend some time with the dog meybe, if the dog loves you and wants to please you he will want to do anything for you
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:spend some time with the dog meybe, if the dog loves you and wants to please you he will want to do anything for you
Dogs look to please themselves. We just channel that and use it for ourselves.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:spend some time with the dog meybe, if the dog loves you and wants to please you he will want to do anything for you

Gee. If only it was that easy. :)

OP .............. Sound like you have given it your best shot. Trainers have given you good advice. Enjoy your dog for who he is ; remove the pressure . Consider buying a well bred retriever from a reputable breeder that will be nothing but pleasure for you.
I've had to give up on a dog myself and learned that "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear " , or as the teacher in me would say, "You can't pour a quart into a pint." :0
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 am

As a "do or die" last resort I'd probably return to one of a dogs most basic instincts to help me out. I'd release the dog on runners either natural or artificial..... with no obedience bits added to confuse the dog. I'd add the "fancy stuff" later if the dog began to respond to chase and catch retrieving.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 am

STOP THE FORCE BREAK IMMEDIATELY! Force breaking is a very advanced training technique that should absolutely not be attempted by some one with little or no experience, especially with a dog that "doesn't have it".

To pump her up, get some pigeons and clip their wings. The first few times get her attention and just toss them in the yard a short distance in front of her. If she chases give her lots of praise. Don't worry about the retrieve or even if she picks it up. You are just trying to awaken her drive. If she does pick it up and runs off with it, LET HER! Again, you are trying to get her to chase and pick up. Don't try to make her bring it to you. You can fix that in the next step. Once she is regularly (if she ever does) picking up the bird, throw it down an "alley". Use the side of you house or another fence, whatever, and make a lane that you can touch with your outstretched hands on either side. Throw the clipped wing bird down the the alley and kneel down as the dog chases. She will turn, because she has no where to run, and run right into your outstretched arms. You will be loving her with your voice the whole way back to you.

YOU MUST KEEP THIS ALL POSITIVE! She sounds very soft and any negative reinforcement will probably keep her turned off.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am

I have no idea how to help you with your dog. I read this because, from the title, I thought your wife was like mine.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 am

Roflmbo....... the title had me wondering too, but I restrained myself. :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 am

You might try jealousy find another dog loves to retrieve tie your dog up and throw bumpers for the other dog
really love it up and talk real excitedly and see if your dog takes an interest .... then let your dog chase The bumper give it a head start while holding the new dog back
Then let the new dog loose when you dog is almost at the bumper..that way your dog will have to run like heck to beat the other dog to the bumper

Jealousy is a powerful motivation in many dogs
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 am

waterfowltime26 wrote:I have a dog that is 95% lab and 5% something else, the only problem is that she doesn't want to retrieve, its like she is halfhearted about it. Wat can I do so she wants to retrieve!! I've tried sikeing her up, and using her different objects and I get 50% percent from her. I'm working on force fetch with her, my last resort is using dead pigeons. Sooo what can I do?
Eveyone is chimming in on what you should do and what you should not do with this pup but you have offered almost no detailed info on your dog and hwhat you have done so far. Sorry, I can't be of any assistance. :?: :?: Don