Transitioning to Ducks

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I have a GSP pup (9 months) who has been quail hunting with me this season. He is very strong on his point and retrieve but has not been force fetched yet. My boy likes to swim and retrieve bumpers from the water. What do I need to do to start transitioning him to duck hunt as well? Any good videos to cover that aspect? I've shot over 200 birds over him, just no ducks or sitting in a blind yet.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Transitioning to Ducks

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Find you nearest NAVHDA club for training the transition to ducks but also read some retriever books or Dvds as NAVHDA has a lot more emphasis on search and scent than sight and marks... seems to me.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm

First teach dog how to hold, carry and then pick up duck from ground before going to water.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 pm

FF and move on to Ducks -- Geese -- Etc.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Find a pro or a someone who has FF a good number of dogs. If you want a true water dog that gets it done when things are cold get a retriever. As far as the FF get help that is something you do not want to screw up. Sounds like you have a really nice dog.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Get sum live ducks tape the wings an let him chase the carp out of them in a big pond. This is nothing but fun for dogs that like water. If he starts to give up a chase due to not being able to catch them, shoot the duck so he can retrieve it as soon as he turns to leave it. Good luck this fun training

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah my boy loves water and used to swim in the Chesapeake all last summer when we was real young, but now I live in virginia and want him to duck hunt back at my home in Alabama so I figure with some work he could do it

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Waterdogs1 wrote:Find a pro or a someone who has FF a good number of dogs. If you want a true water dog that gets it done when things are cold get a retriever. As far as the FF get help that is something you do not want to screw up. Sounds like you have a really nice dog.
If a person follows SmartFetch, you will not need a pro or someone who has FF a good number of dogs.
FF is not rocket surgery or brain science.

and

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

I got the SmartFetch set I'll lend you when I get home Blue. Will be building a bench for the yard if you want to team up on FF when it starts to warm a bit, also can probably manage a few live ducks to train with.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

seacowboy wrote:I got the SmartFetch set I'll lend you when I get home Blue. Will be building a bench for the yard if you want to team up on FF when it starts to warm a bit, also can probably manage a few live ducks to train with.
You don't need no stinkin' bench.......... Unless you are FF a large number of dogs per person.

and

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Hattrick wrote:Get sum live ducks tape the wings an let him chase the carp out of them in a big pond. This is nothing but fun for dogs that like water. If he starts to give up a chase due to not being able to catch them, shoot the duck so he can retrieve it as soon as he turns to leave it. Good luck this fun training
That's what I did with the last lab I worked, also how started my Dez on ducks when he was a puppy. I also shackled the ducks feet the first few times, to get them started. Ducks are tough and can be used a lot.

It will definitely build water drive.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Doc E wrote:
seacowboy wrote:I got the SmartFetch set I'll lend you when I get home Blue. Will be building a bench for the yard if you want to team up on FF when it starts to warm a bit, also can probably manage a few live ducks to train with.
You don't need no stinkin' bench.......... Unless you are FF a large number of dogs per person.

I prefer to FF on the ground, I sit on five gallon bucket, I like to eliminate unnecessary steps when I am able.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks all knowing Doc. Sitting on a bucket kills my back. I will build my table, stand and be happy doing it. Besides myself and Blue if we meet up to train I have 3 other guys within 5 miles that would love to have access and use the bench now or in the coming months for FF.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 am

seacowboy wrote:Thanks all knowing Doc. Sitting on a bucket kills my back. I will build my table, stand and be happy doing it. Besides myself and Blue if we meet up to train I have 3 other guys within 5 miles that would love to have access and use the bench now or in the coming months for FF.

Sitting on a bucket 5 - 10 minutes, twice a day "kills your back" ? :?

You must really be able to poop in record time.

and

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Hey I'd love to work on force fetching my dog when it warms up. Haven't watched smart fetch and would like to get to know the program. Thanks for the advice though. My dog is doing well in the field and has a strong retrieve desire, I just want to really get it down pat so that I have a versatile dog that can do it all.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm

FF is the way to go if you want the money retrieve. Join a local NAVHDA chapter. Potomac chapter in MD might not be to far to go. There training grounds are on the MD -VA border. I' m a member there an its alot waterfowl guys in the chapter and experence trainers.

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

I'd like to join a navdha chapter but I'm only in virginia for a few more moths (don't know exactly how long, anywhere from 2-7) because in a marine and will move again soon. But I'm gonna do what I can here before i go off to my next station

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Check out there site we have training days once a month starting in the spring an guys train on the grounds all year long on weekends. Im sure you could attend a few training days.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm

The Potomac chapter will be closer driving time for you than the Rappahannock one. From what I have heard they are more structured on the their training days than the VA chapter. But the members will help with anything if asked there. I have not been to a training day in Potomac yet. Send me your email and I can fwd the training days upcoming for the one in VA.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:. My dog is doing well in the field and has a strong retrieve desire
FF is about MUCH MORE than a proper retreive.

and

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

seacowboy wrote:Thanks all knowing Doc.
You're most welcome.

Last edited by Doc E on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
and

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 am

I use pigeons to intro ducks.

Throw pigeons in the water and have the dog retrieve them out to you. Once you have the desire to retrieve the pigeons from the water with the dog, put out some ducks. Same outcome will occur.Little cheaper on my pocket. And with the same outcome. After you know the pup will retrieve out of water. That's when you can tape the ducks wings and give chase for the pup. At least that's what I do.

Ff will teach the dog that it needs to retrieve when and how you say so. You'll be able to point the dog in the right direction for a blind retrieve. There are many benefits from ff for a dog. Everybody has his or her own approach to doing ff whether it be sitting on a bucket or up on a table. If done right the outcome will be the same. I prefer the table being that a majority of my training not only ff starts here and its a balanced approach that has worked for me well.

Navhda will teach you so much. Check it out if you can.

Good luck.
Last edited by campgsp on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 am

I forgot to mention

You'll want to tape the pigeons wings when throwing them in the water.
Otherwise they will just fly away. Duh lol :D

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 am

I've already spent time putting locked wing pigeons in the water for him to retrieve. He was having a blast grabbing birds from the Chesapeake as early as 10 weeks.

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Also, now that my boy has his first upland season under his belt, I am confident he is ready to begin formal obedience work. He is E-collar conditioned to "here" and knows the basic commands, but I have never done any work with a heeling stick or overlaying them with the E-collar. I know thats more common with labs, but does anyone use a method like that to train versatile breeds? Also does anyone have a good obedience program to pick up or YouTube videos and articles? I'm considering smart works obedience. I have perfect start perfect finish but want an obedience specific program to learn a bit more from.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm

If your dog has a strong natural desire to retrieve, there is no reason to move straight into FF at this point. Use the dogs desire to get wounded ducks by clipping them, having someone toss them, fire a shot and then send the dog. If the dog likes water and retrieving you may be surprised at the results. My dogs go nuts over ducks and especially the wounded ones that they get to swim down.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 am

Without FF how do you send ur dog when he doesnt see the duck fall or 2-3 resends like a blind.. The guy is ready for FF if he wants a complete dog. It will set the foundation for the rest of his trainng trust me

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:26 am

Not a fan of the heeling stick. But you do what you are comfortable with. Keep in mind a GSP is not a lab and they have different training attitudes and styles. They are tough but different.

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah not sayin I'm using a heeling stick. Just tryin to look into what I should do for formal obedience.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Bluesky ive none both heeling stick and pinch collar. Pinch collar works best for me. Most people are afraid to pop the collar the right way. The first pop should be vary stiff maybe you mayeven hear a yelp, the second corection harder than the first an so on. Watch his body reactions you can tell when you have his attention. You can get a dog to heel in short order with a pinch collar, then you just over lay to ecollar. It always helps if you have a mentor

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Hattrick wrote:Without FF how do you send ur dog when he doesnt see the duck fall or 2-3 resends like a blind.. The guy is ready for FF if he wants a complete dog. It will set the foundation for the rest of his trainng trust me
No need to re-send for blinds and no, you don't ALWAYS need to FF. It just depends on the dog.

Bluesky2012

Transitioning to Ducks

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I've heard people say force fetch is about more than just fetching, and that it creates a bolder and more responsive dog. Any thoughts? I've never seen it done, just know the general process.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 pm

100% agree with that if done right. It creates a vary tight bold between you and ur dog. The rest of training becomes much easier. Good luck