Microchip

Bluesky2012

Microchip

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Gents,
My wife got my dog microchipped a while back and she didn't realize you have to register the microchip. How do y'all go about doing that? I don't have the microchip number that I know of. Any knowledge about it? It's by avid
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Microchip

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Go to the place she had it done then have them scan it. Get the number and the information on where to register it.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:43 pm

My vet always records the number in my records when they chip them. Call and ask if they recorded the number and then register it on Avids site. You may not need to go have it scanned.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Depends on the brand of the chip.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm

My vet completes the paperwork and sends it in. They charge for the registration and the chipping procedure.

Doug

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 pm

The problem with the micro chips is no standard registry. Only works if the vet or animal shelter has the correct scanner. My daughter was given a beagle and when she went to vet they didn't detect a chip. Went to another vet and they detected a chip.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:53 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:Gents,
My wife got my dog microchipped a while back and she didn't realize you have to register the microchip. How do y'all go about doing that? I don't have the microchip number that I know of. Any knowledge about it? It's by avid
We did ours through Home Again... http://www.homeagain.com. The breeder had them microchipped before we picked him up. He had a microchip reader and scanned it to make sure it was working okay and provided us the brochure from Home Again to register the microchip. Most of the vet clinics around here have the readers as well, so on our first vet visit the vet scanned it too. Now it is in his vet records, and we also included it on his AKC registration paperwork and went onto the AKC web to include it there. The registration through Home Again is free, so once you have the microchip scanned and get the number, I would start there... Also the AKC has a program called Companion Animal Recovery and the registration is free through them as well. Our pup was registered at both just in case.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 pm

The Home Again isn't free. They have a one time charge to register it and enter it in their data base. If the owner changes you might have to pay a fee to get the new info into their data base(not sure about that part), otherwise how do they know who to notify if the dog is found?

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:00 pm

deseeker wrote:The Home Again isn't free. They have a one time charge to register it and enter it in their data base. If the owner changes you might have to pay a fee to get the new info into their data base(not sure about that part), otherwise how do they know who to notify if the dog is found?
You are right... Sorry, the registration for the Home Again was not free first time... Our breeder had paid for it with the litter and gave us a code to input it I think. But we are the only ones that can change anything once the account was input, so If the dog is ever stolen and taken to the vet, they will know it is mine. I don't think there was any charge for the AKC one though, it came with the registration paperwork...