check cord question

brianb

check cord question

Post by brianb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm

My 5 month old setter comes when called in the house and when we're in the field with his 25 foot checkcord. The second I remove the checkcord he's gone. Runs out of sight and I have to find him. Ive tried the hiding game but that doesnt work.Im doing this in a large fenced field trial area so Im not worried about losing him. Whats the next step? Not let him off the cord until hes older? Is he too young for an e collar?

Duckdon

Re: check cord question

Post by Duckdon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am

All the way back to OB basics and cement "Here" better. Then keeping the check cord in your hand move to the field and keep working "Here" until your sure he understands "Here" 100%. Then add the Ecollar to the mix and work the check cord and the collar together until that is in place. NOTE: The cord and collar should be used when you start the command "Here" and keep the pressure on until the dog is looking at you and moving to you. If he gets distracted or passes you out of touch range, back on the pressure until he again makes eye contact and is moving to you. Push to the point where "Here" means you must come to me close enough to touch and nothing else is good enough. Then drop the check cord to allow him to drag it and work him with the collar. Never give a command you can't enforce....... Just my opinion. Don

If I was you, and what I did, was do a clinic with Perfection Kennels and get their Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVD's. Jon & Cindy Hann are good trainer's and teacher's. This will all make more sence then.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 am

The second you remove the check cord, he's gone. Now what do you really think you should do? 5 mos old and probably not on birds yet? He's staying in now only because of the check cord. Put birds around for him to find with the check cord on. Next thing you'll find that you can remove the check cord and he stay's in because of the birds.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 pm

This question is almost verbatim to the next thread. Same person?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Why two threads?

mask

Post by mask » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm

5 months might be a little young for an e collar. It does depend on the pup and your experiance with training.

Duckdon

Post by Duckdon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

"Here" is "here", birds or not.......and the check cord will get him back. If you think an e-collar on a 5 month old pup is to soon, I happen to feel they can be on one around 4 months if ready, then keep him on the check cord. Can't have them running off unless you want him dead. Might go to a 100' cord. Just my opinion. Don

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 am

brianb wrote:My 5 month old setter comes when called in the house and when we're in the field with his 25 foot checkcord. The second I remove the checkcord he's gone. Runs out of sight and I have to find him. Ive tried the hiding game but that doesnt work.Im doing this in a large fenced field trial area so Im not worried about losing him. Whats the next step? Not let him off the cord until hes older? Is he too young for an e collar?
advice given was right on. he is still PUP. pup should be on checkcord.then keep sayingHERE and have treat in your pocket.
i used SLIM JIMS,mild ones.

when he gets about 9 months ,he will stop and turn and give you middle paw .but at least he will stop and look at you. :)
that is when a e-collar will be nice but dont over shock pup doing it.

try SLIM JIMS with checkcord and word HERE and use a WHISTLE at same time.
i do it this way.
tooooooooooooooooot on whistle then HERE and he knows he is getting a slim jim. :wink: