starting whoa training?

big_fish

starting whoa training?

Post by big_fish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm

at what age would you start introducing whoa training my pup is only 8 weeks and was just wondering .the program I have (gun dog 2nd edition with Charles Jurney) doesn't really give an age other than that it is easy to follow and understand for me .
Thanks,
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

uplandrsb

Re: starting whoa training?

Post by uplandrsb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 pm

That.depends on the pup.. You have plenty of time, let him be a pup for now and play with him.. I would say depending on the dog you could introduce around 6 mos.. Again some you shouldnt put pressure on until a year old or so..

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:02 pm

His biggest need right now is socialization - sfter his second set of shots - other dogs, cats, kids, motorcycle noise, horses, types of surfaces ( pea gravel , grates, etc.)

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/dog-train ... pment.html

See the last half of this link:

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 pm

What is whoa training to you? Is whoa a command like sit or down?

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm

start now! every time you feed your pup hold him in one spot, no need to say a word just hold him for a few sec. do this everytime and soon work in the word whoa as he gets a little older. I do this with all my dogs and they learn whoa fast! and no pressure is needed.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 am

big_fish wrote:the program I have (gun dog 2nd edition with Charles Jurney)
Not sure if I am familiar with the book. Is Jurney the author?

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 am

There is no reason why you can not start right now. As long as you are using only positive reinforcement the earlier you work on this the better. Understanding canine behavior should be your first priority. Dogs learn by association. Dogs are motivated by self interest and using this interest in their training will reap great results. Dogs are place oriented. This means they will understand what they learn relative to the surroundings they learn them in. When the surroundings change ,how they perceive the task at hand changes. It is your job as a trainer to help the dog understand each command as you generalize it from one place to the next. Dogs use cues in there environment to determine whether a behavior they exhibit is beneficial or safe. As you train your dog using tools such as a barrel , board or table helps the dog to understand the whoa command at a level the dog is working at. Since dogs are place oriented the smaller the space is limited to when working on a behavior, the easier it is for the dog to exhibit the behavior. As you build confidence in your dog he will become more bold and independent seeking out his environment and exploring new things. The best way to build this confidence is to create situations where the dog feels it understands its environment and can control it to his own means. Another behavioral characteristic in dogs is, they use strategies to get what they want and procure resources. Placing your dog on a small board at feeding time addresses all of these behavioral characteristics . When the dog is fed he will learn to come to the board and stand on it. It is best to place the board where the dog needs to stand on it to get to the food. You may have to block around it so the dog can only get to the food if it is standing on the board. Once the dog gets used to eating from the board it will learn to associate the board with feeding time. You will be able to put the board out and it will become the cue for feeding time. The dog will run to the board and stand on it till the food comes. Without any use of force you will have the dog exhibiting this behavior of standing still on the board as a rewardable behavior. Once you get a behavior you can then start to shape the behavior. This will be a great first step in training the whoa command. http://www.georgehickox.com/ Get georges dvd it will help you to understand this a lot better.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:27 am

Allin13 wrote:start now! every time you feed your pup hold him in one spot, no need to say a word just hold him for a few sec. do this everytime and soon work in the word whoa as he gets a little older. I do this with all my dogs and they learn whoa fast! and no pressure is needed.
I started right away at food time, and also before going outside and at the top of the stairs on the deck (Once he was going down the stairs on his own). Now he always waits til he has my permission to exit the house or go from the deck into the yard.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am

Allin13 wrote:start now! every time you feed your pup hold him in one spot, no need to say a word just hold him for a few sec. do this everytime and soon work in the word whoa as he gets a little older. I do this with all my dogs and they learn whoa fast! and no pressure is needed.
+1

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 am

big_fish wrote:the program I have (gun dog 2nd edition with Charles Jurney)
Is this a 2nd edition of Richard Wolter's book?

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm

thanks to all Ill start at feeding time now and yes it is Richard Wolters Gun Dog revised by Charles T Journey he updated it so to speek.I used water dog for my lab and it was very easy to understand and follow so after watching gun dog I decided to follow it also thanks again for all the info and I'm sure I will have more question in the future

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm

UpNorthHuntin wrote:I started right away at food time, and also before going outside and at the top of the stairs on the deck (Once he was going down the stairs on his own). Now he always waits til he has my permission to exit the house or go from the deck into the yard.
That is cool I like that!
I have my dog sitting before he gets his food. I went with sit because it is so chill. I think I will work on whoa for leaving the yard before walks, Then start on the walk in some time down the road.
I using "The Perfect Start." Great video. Also "The Brittany: Amateurs Training with Professionals -- 2nd Edition" from ww.gundogsupply.com/brittany.html This is a good book but it does not give any ages or ideas on when to start training.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 pm

I start at 10wks on the table keep it short with no preasure increase time with age and a ton of praise. The more stuff you do earlier the better you will be

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 am

A word or two of caution: You are likely to catch some heat from at least a few for using Wolters' method. I have had a great deal of success with it myself. Also, it is incredibly important to use the right equipment. Don't try to get by with a 6' or 7' bass rod and 3' of line. I like a 10' telescoping crappie stick with the wing attached by 18" of 30# nylon spider wire. I also put a swivel in the line close to the wing. The length of the rod and line is important because you want to get the wing away from and you must also be able to move it quickly so pup does not catch it.

Once he has started to break down and point, the easiest way to introduce "whoa" in a very young pup is to whip the wing straight up off the ground and hold it steady over the dog's head while giving the whoa command. Pup should stop right under the wing. Slowly start to lower the wing. If he moves, the wing goes back to original heighth with a repeat of the whoa command. After a few sessions you should be able to lower the wing all the way to the ground to reward the pup for standing with a point.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 pm

I caught a lot of resistance when I was training my lab for using Wolters but at 6 and 1/2 month old he was setting beside me in the blind and retrieved his first duck that morning to me,a month and a half later he delivered his first 2 pheasants to me. I know it is an old program but it is easy to follow and in all reality all programs are basically the same first obedience work second commands work then bird into then gun intro ect. ect. I know there will be differences and some will say he was no trainer at all but that is all opinion. I have read a lot of his work and again it was easy to follow for me. I was introduced to his work by an older gentleman that used his program waterdog and he had outstanding dogs. There is a lot of differanc between Wolters and Charles Journeys take on Wolters work he kind of updated it so to speak. Anyways thanks for all the input I have started to introduce whoa to feeding time its only been 2 days so not much yet.

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Does anyone have experience with rigging a longe line throught the collar and up through a pulley perhaps and back to a collar at the rear of the dog.

Saw it done once and can't remember how to rig it. Dog is raised off the ground if it breaks whoa...apparently dogs don't like losing contact with the ground.

If anyone knows...please let me know..that's how my dog was trained....want to do a refresher this spring thru summer, periodically.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 pm

No experience but here's a link that might help.

www.willowcreekkennels.net/teaching
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm

crappieguy wrote:Does anyone have experience with rigging a longe line throught the collar and up through a pulley perhaps and back to a collar at the rear of the dog.

Saw it done once and can't remember how to rig it. Dog is raised off the ground if it breaks whoa...apparently dogs don't like losing contact with the ground.

If anyone knows...please let me know..that's how my dog was trained....want to do a refresher this spring thru summer, periodically.
I think you are referring to WHOA training method in the book, Bond of Passion by Web Parton. You can Google it on the web and buy a copy directly from him.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

cjj

Post by cjj » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:55 pm

I have a 12 week out brittany , 2 weeks ago I got may training table out to see what he would do, he ran right on it , he did that a couple times and the i walked away a got about half way across my yard and turned around and there he was standing there on the table looking at me, its all fun and games for him. When we walk on a leash I stop and say whoa he stops no pressure at all now I whoa him befor we leave the house still fun no pressure I try to make it fun , and short He is off to a great start and he loves doing it, I think come ( Recall ) and Whoa are 2 very inportant commands I like to start early JMO

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 pm

As a couple of people mentioned above, starting WHOA at feeding time is easy and works. And as soon as I start yard training I incorporate WHOA with HERE and HEEL then extend to WHOA with a lead, then a piggin' string, and later the check cord. I never saw any need for barrels or tables. I usually have them WHOA broke before 6 months old.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs