Where to begin?

RichK

Where to begin?

Post by RichK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I've found a GSP pup that I will be picking up at the end of next month. This is my first GSP and the first dog I'll use for upland game and hopefully some NSTRA competitions. I've searched the forum here but I'm overwhelmed with the information! Where do I start in training my pup for upland game and NSTRA? Is there a certain "system" of training I should be following? Any other information or tips that I should know?

Bluesky2012

Where to begin?

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Read this first.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=21169

It's a decent start. Then get a good program (perfect start by perfection kennels is a good one. Check out gundogsupply.com for it).

Most importantly just have fun with the puppy. All else will happen in time. Don't rush it. That's everyone's first mistake.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Duckdon

Re: Where to begin?

Post by Duckdon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Yep. Perfect Start and Perfect Finish but Profection Kennels. Tough to get wrong with those DVD's .....Just my opinion. Don

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I'll pick up those DVDs before the pup gets here. Is there any basic "gear" that I should have? Leashes, whistles, etc.? Thanks!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Crate for house breaking :!: :!: Puppy collar, leash, chew rope or toy(not one where parts can come off), food bowl, water bowl---I'm sure I left stuff out, but someone else will chime in :D

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am

There is no recipe but if you read enough books/articles/forum threads etc you'll begin to see common themes. Consider the following, you see these come up time and again. Be patient.

1. Crate training - the first days are the toughest, don't give in.
2. House manners - potty training, no biting, jumping, bolting out doors etc. Attach a short light rope to pup to help with control in house. Whoa at doors, food bowl, for treats, etc. Begin recall (come or here, whatever you choose).
3. Retrieving games - keep it short, positive, and fun.
4. Socialization - people, other puppies, different environments. Consider a puppy preschool where you know other pups are up on vaccines.
5. Hello world - after two and some will say all three sets of puppy shots get the pup in the field or woods. Find a safe place where pup can run free and explore. Don't say anything to the pup. Have the pup drag a longer rope. With each walk you should see the pup gain confidence and boldness. He'll start venturing farther away from you. He'll chase bugs and tweeties and might even point a time or two. Walk through shallow creeks or puddles. Let the pup learn about the world around him. He'll learn how use his nose and the wind. You'll learn a ton about your pup by just watching him. Your job is to be quiet and keep the pup safe. With the longer rope continue working on his recall.
6. Formal bird/gun intro - Perfect start. Or find a local trainer who is willing to work with you not just train your dog.

Continue to use gundogforum as a resource, there is so much good info buried in the archives.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Excellent post.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett