By the Hour Training

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

By the Hour Training

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Does anyone know pointing dog trainers that do "by the hour" sessions? What do they generally charge for that service?

whoadog

Re: By the Hour Training

Post by whoadog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 am

Not sure what you mean by "by the hour". Are you looking for advice or coaching? Do you want the trainer to actually train the dog for you or just help you set up some situations? For example, in my business any teaching sessions for handlers as well as follow up evaluatons and training sessions are included in the price of the training. I need my clients to be successful with their dogs and it is worth my time to help them understand all they can about their dog and the training I have provided. My best advertisement is a well mannered, effective bird dog hunting in the field for my client, their friends and family members.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 pm

two different guys here in no ca charge 50 an hour plus game birds

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 am

We call that 1-2-1 training here and for much of the time it is the dogs owner that is being taught and not the dog. For many people that 1 hour training session focusing mainly on them is of more value than for the pro-trainer to take the dog away for a while and train it himself.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I have seen $20hr in eastern Washington.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

The trainer I have been using since my pup was 4 months old, does by the hr training. At 40.00 an Hr plus 10.00 for kill birds.

I found this to be the most valuable training I could have possible hoped for, first most trainers will not take a dog for board and train untill the dog is 9-12 months old. Then they want 500-600 a month for 3 months training. I believe this is a effective way to get yourself a bird dog. Although I was able to participate in the training and learn myself what it takes to create a bird dog. I was hunting Pheseant over my dog holding steady to point at 12 months, that would not have been possible without the early one on one training sessions during the puppy stage.