tracking training for GSP

magspa

tracking training for GSP

Post by magspa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Any good drills to run during the off season? My 2 shorthairs did great this year for their first season (9months and 16months) . Although i lost a few quail, maybe wounded and ran off or landed in extremely thick coverand for what ever reason lost scent and/or focus. Wounding/losing game makes me feel horrible. I plan on working on their retrieving a lot so this will be great to add.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: tracking training for GSP

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:43 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:51 pm

For the pups Howie likes using a can of sardines the best. Pop a few holes in the bottom of the can and drag it. This is sure to get their nose down. Don't forget crackers for when you're done :wink: .

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Hotdogs are also good... Drag them on the ground .. Best on a hard surface so you can keep track of your line.. Do it straight until they stop tracking and just go to the end.. Then start making turns.. Once the know what the worx track is.. I switch to a few birds..

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Living large in the Southwest.