Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post Reply
User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 am

Just a little training game banks seems to love, enjoy!
Isaac and Banks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_rr1nY-rY
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
Red
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Red » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am

"This video is private."
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 am

Red wrote:"This video is private."
Sorry, forgot to change it after it uploaded, should be fine now!
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
magspa
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:31 am
Location: South, TX

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by magspa » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 am

Nice video. Did you just drag the bird around then hide it? Asking because I want to work on tracking woth my GSP's..thanks

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:29 am

magspa wrote:Nice video. Did you just drag the bird around then hide it? Asking because I want to work on tracking woth my GSP's..thanks
Yep, i drug it behind my on a rope, and INTO the wind, usually a moist, calm day is best, for the first day i had it out in the open so he got the point of the game,
Not sure if its the same with a GSP but i dont see why not
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am

Looks like you have a real nice puppy but the one thing I would do isnot talk to him. You don't want to have to tell a dog to hunt every 10 seconds and you don't want him more concerned about listening for your commands rathr than finding the bird. That may be part of the reason he wants tocome back and jumpup on you than working out the trail.

You are doing well,
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

ezzy333 wrote:Looks like you have a real nice puppy but the one thing I would do isnot talk to him. You don't want to have to tell a dog to hunt every 10 seconds and you don't want him more concerned about listening for your commands rathr than finding the bird. That may be part of the reason he wants tocome back and jumpup on you than working out the trail.

You are doing well,
Ezzy
Yea after i watched i realized i talk more that i should, ill try not to talk to much
Thanks!
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 am

Ezzy: I was thinking the same thing.
Issac: Now he knows the game just let him figure it out. Another thing I have done just to mix it up and to help get them to realized It may not be just one bird is to drag, one bird to a spot, then from there another to another spot and third to another spot from the last bird. If the pup needs help to focus just use th cc with a little guidance in the general direction. No Talking till the bird is in hand.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Ezzy: I was thinking the same thing.
Issac: Now he knows the game just let him figure it out. Another thing I have done just to mix it up and to help get them to realized It may not be just one bird is to drag, one bird to a spot, then from there another to another spot and third to another spot from the last bird. If the pup needs help to focus just use th cc with a little guidance in the general direction. No Talking till the bird is in hand.
So your saying multiple birds on one path?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2946
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, run the first out there maybe 30 yards then put maybe 20 yards between them. It was fun to watch the pup figure it out. After just a couple three times, the light comes on.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Yes, run the first out there maybe 30 yards then put maybe 20 yards between them. It was fun to watch the pup figure it out. After just a couple three times, the light comes on.
as of now he started to keep the bird for himself, so we are going to get him force fetched before we do anything with the gun and any more trailing, it will all come together eventually
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Yes, run the first out there maybe 30 yards then put maybe 20 yards between them. It was fun to watch the pup figure it out. After just a couple three times, the light comes on.
as of now he started to keep the bird for himself, so we are going to get him force fetched before we do anything with the gun and any more trailing, it will all come together eventually
FF if needed but not giving the bird up can be handled quite easily with out it if that is your only reason.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:FF if needed but not giving the bird up can be handled quite easily with out it if that is your only reason.

Ezzy
He is getting the habit of running 20 yards from me and dropping it/playing with it, when i call him he panics and either stays there or comes and leaves the bird,
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
Munster
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: La Porte City, IA

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Munster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Nice video, nice dog. Now you need some duct tape for your mouth :lol: and weight watchers for the dog. Think he could stand to lose 5 pounds or better. You will thank me later.

Nice to see a youngman wanting to work his dog. keep it up
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

User avatar
Winchey
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:22 am
Location: Oromocto New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Winchey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm

If you stay as enthusiastic and as willing to learn as you are now you are going to make a great trainer someday.

User avatar
Doc E
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 am
Location: N.E. corner of WA

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Doc E » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote: as of now he started to keep the bird for himself, so we are going to get him force fetched before we do anything with the gun and any more trailing, it will all come together eventually
FOLLOW THE PROGRAM and quit getting the cart in front of the horse ! ! !



.
Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Bender
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Bettendorf, IA

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Bender » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Doc E wrote:
FOLLOW THE PROGRAM and quit getting the cart in front of the horse ! ! !
.


Is he following a program??? If so which one?

User avatar
Doc E
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 am
Location: N.E. corner of WA

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Doc E » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 am

Bender wrote:
Doc E wrote:
FOLLOW THE PROGRAM and quit getting the cart in front of the horse ! ! !
.
Is he following a program??? If so which one?
He is supposed to be :wink:

Hey, changing the subject, did you know that the HRC Fall International Grand is going to be in the Quad Cities area next Fall.


.
Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Bender
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Bettendorf, IA

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Bender » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 am

REALLY!?! That's awesome! Do you know where they will be testing?? Just checked their new site and can't see it listed.

User avatar
Double Shot Banks
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 am

i noticed he was getting a little bigger than i wanted, he is on a little less food and im watching him. i am following the program as best i can, but i feel instead of fighting him and tugging on a 100 yard check cord because he wont bring the bird back, FF would be best to do first?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

User avatar
S&J gsp
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:22 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Banks Playing "Find the Bird"

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 am

Just a suggestion spend more time in the field and less behind a keyboard and he will progress faster. Not trying to be rude but he asked for advice on gun breaking and was given the advise now you are back to all over the place. Doc took time to put a video on here to show proper bird into for you and now your looking at Force Fetch and you and your dog are nowhere near ready for that. Trust me I had a pro almost ruined my dog because of FF. Make sure your dog has alot of bird drive before you start because if you make a mistake you can go back to birds and take another try at it if the dog if not bird crazy don't try it. But like everyone else that has tried to help you your not going to listen to me either. So GOOD LUCK with your dog

Post Reply