Bumpers

RichK

Bumpers

Post by RichK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm picking my pup up next month and want to use him for NAVHDA or NSTRA, maybe both. Anyways, this is my first gun dog and I'm getting the stuff for him now for working with him this summer. How many bumpers do I need on hand for training, etc.?

Duckdon

Re: Bumpers

Post by Duckdon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I have about 20 of vasious sizes, colors and materials. Some are just plain worn out but I still have them and still count them. I use 6-8 every day for one task or another. Start with a small one and get more as you need them. Don

Deuce

Bumpers

Post by Deuce » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm

When you get the pup? A rolled up sock and a fuzzy paint roller will do for a while. I'm getting ready to work on force to pile with my 13 mo pup and plan to do so with 6-8 of them. Mine are all different types, colors, and sizes.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Drop by your local fire hall with the pup and ask for an old section of fire hose they should have lots hanging about. A 6' section should be plenty; cut off about a 8" (or 5" for a pup) section use shoe goop to seal the ends after filling it with wine corks or wood chips or foam chips. I use a vise to seal the ends, then tape a couple of wings on it.

Floats great and tough, be sure to trim any excess glue

Grant

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 pm

For pups I often use sections of carpet that I roll up and then tie to form a lightweight dummy or bumper. These bits of carpet can make any size of cylinder you want. Most pups like the texture and the "softness." They are, however, no use at all for water work. I can easily carry a dozen of these bumpers as they are so light and I don't mind if some get lost either .... they cost me nothing at all.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !