Back to check cord after 1st seaason

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:03 pm

looking for opinions on going back to the check cord for some fine tuning after a season of hunting. First season for both GSPs' (10months and 16months). Want to do some stop-to-flush drills, steadying/creeping, and tracking cripples with both. The younger dog needs backing work, she will from a distance then creep, creep, next thing you know she is in front. They are ecollar conditioned but the check cord with give me the best control just dont want to do more harm than good..do I have any other options?

Duckdon

Re: Back to check cord after 1st seaason

Post by Duckdon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

If you don't have creep control with the collar than go back to the check cord. Do you use your collar for Whoa? Never hurts to return back to basics if needed. What are your better options? Might want to invest in the Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVD's by Perfection Kennels. They spend lots of time on that very subject. Don

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 am

Don't see no harm in going back to cc. But for backing it might be easier on you to use the ecollar. Hit her when she moves before you can get there. And also when you see her see the other dog and she ignores, you can whoa her up using the collar. When I'm training backing I stand infront and to the side of the dog backin. Not blocking the view of pointing dog that way I have complete control of the situation. Then i flush the bird with launcher or helper. If the dog budges or creeps I can woah them up. So a cc doesn't really work for my approach with backing. But if that's the way you teach it I don't see a problem with using a cc.
Stop to flush probably better to stick with ecollar. For me I want the dog running while I pop the bird. So holding the cc and running with them isn't in my job description :D.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I havent taught them "whoa" and i have not used the ecollar on them while on point yet, other than on the young pup when she was creeping bad and i noticed it did help. I have used the ecollar with the stand command though, if you are familiar with the Bill West method that is the method, as well as Training With Mo. I'm hoping the stop-to-flush drills will help with the steadying. I also plan to start using the ecollar on birds this offseason. Just looking for some opinions before starting. I buddy I hunt with does use "whoa" and it seems like they have caught on to the meaning of it. I may just start using it cause we hunt together a lot. Good idea ? or stick with the silent approach?

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm

If you are using the silent approach stick to it. If you bought Mos book his email is in it. I am sure he will be more than happy to help you if you email him questions. I'd also say re read his book and you might answer your own questions.

I don't know how far your dogs have progressed through the process so I can't offer any suggestions. Based on your description I'd say the ecollar could help stop the creeping on the back but you need to demonstrate to them a few times what is expected on the check cord first.

Steady work starts on the check cord.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:22 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:If you are using the silent approach stick to it. If you bought Mos book his email is in it. I am sure he will be more than happy to help you if you email him questions. I'd also say re read his book and you might answer your own questions.

I don't know how far your dogs have progressed through the process so I can't offer any suggestions. Based on your description I'd say the ecollar could help stop the creeping on the back but you need to demonstrate to them a few times what is expected on the check cord first.

Miller's post to you is right on. I hope you stick with it and see the finished product you will end up with. Both your dogs are still young so some checkcord review would be good advice. You are welcome to contact me .. You should be in fine shape with just a little more work.

Mo

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Maurice wrote:
MillerClemsonHD wrote:If you are using the silent approach stick to it. If you bought Mos book his email is in it. I am sure he will be more than happy to help you if you email him questions. I'd also say re read his book and you might answer your own questions.

Miller's post to you is right on. I hope you stick with it and see the finished product you will end up with. Both your dogs are still young so some checkcord review would be good advice. You are welcome to contact me .. You should be in fine shape with just a little more work.

Mo
I have seen Mo in action and re-read the book over and over, this method works well. Currently beginning to put manners on my 13 month old dog after her first season. I am finding if I am patient and let the dog show me she ready to move on that I am seein some nice progress. All work being done following Mo's book using the check cord.

magspa

Post by magspa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:45 pm

I think hunting season may have regressed their training some. Being their first year i just let them have fun for the most part. I didnt want to hold them back.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:49 pm

Nothing wrong with going to the CC for a reminder / refresher. Its the best tool in the box for a young dog.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 pm

You need a good whoa, then build from that.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

You did no harm hunting your dogs for a year and letting them grow up. Too much emphasis is being put on making young dogs grow up too fast and not getting the chance to mature at their own rate.

Take your time and get it right on the checkcord and build on it. Don't be afraid to take Mo up on his offer and ask him questions.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm

ACooper wrote:You need a good whoa, then build from that.
I agree but I think we are the minority on this. However, since he is following a different method, he probably should stick with it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way