Formalizing Obedience

Double Shot Banks

Formalizing Obedience

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello,
Banks is now 7 months and im pretty happy with him so far, although i know his obedience can improve..alot. He Comes when called, sometimes it takes a nick on the collar if he smells something. I got rid of my bad habit of letting him just "run by" when i call him. He has gotten good at sitting when i peep my whistle from a distance.
All sounds good, but it just seems like he is getting extremely bored and he puts his ears down and breaths with a "really?" annoyed attitude.
Is there any trick or technique for making him more serious about it?
*UPDATE*
We will be introducing the gun to banks here within a few weeks, was waiting for the snow to mostly melt until we just got another 10 inches last night (Lovely iowa weather)
After that it is on to force fetching, and i think after this he will be slightly more obedient.
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Duckdon

Re: Formalizing Obedience

Post by Duckdon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

We do lots of fun walks and fun stuff, not hard core training all the time. The fun stuff will include a couple blind retrieves, maybe a couple fun bumper throws. I still maintain control and the collots are on but I am not working hard to train at that time. I use lots of different training ground too. Breaks up the monotany of winter training and snow..come on spring....

Sometimes I have layed off all training for a week if the attutude is to bad.

How did you fix the run by problem?

Don

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 am

I not trying to tell you what to do but I would not do anything before I got him over his gun shyness. I would do more bird work with him than. Get the gun out and than formalize the OB than force fetch. Just like your PROGRAM. says

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Duckdon: I did this by calling him, and when he came and tried to run by i would nick him and say "here" again, now whenever i call him here i make him sit also so he cant run by, not making him heel though

S&j gsp: I believe that is what i said, we will work on gun shyness/gun intro soon and then FF
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 am

What I'm saying is your still at least 2 months from the gun if you rush this you will regret it in the long run. That dog is no where near ready for the next step take some time let him chase some more birds about every other day. Once he is all about birds one shot a week from about 50 yards or more than progress closer. If you take your time you can fix it if not you won't have a gun dog you'll have a house pet your decision.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

The SmartWork Puppy DVD has an excellent portion for "ecollar to HERE".
Often done on pups as young as 4 months of age.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker