Aggression towards other dogs

brianb

Aggression towards other dogs

Post by brianb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 am

I've owned several dogs and have never had this problem so excuse my ignorance in how to deal with it. My 7 month old english setter is great in the house, great with kids and our other older female golden retriever. He comes from great lines and a top breeder. He is very submissive to all of us, my kids and my kids friends. However, he does show aggression to other dogs on occasion. Some neighbor dogs have come in our yard with their owners for a visit and he'll growl and snap at them not backing down. Some random aggression towards other dogs of all ages and sizes at the dog park ( I know they are a bad idea in general and probably won't go back) I've always been close to break it up so no real fights or injuries. However, I live in a small neighborhood with lots of other dogs so I really can't continue to have this problem. I know the breeder will take him back but I don't want to do that yet. Looking for some advice. Thanks

volraider

Re: Aggression towards other dogs

Post by volraider » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 am

He needs to be put in his place yesterday! Timing is everything, the moment he starts to growl wear him out. You are headed for a bad ending if you don't stop him now.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 am

volraider wrote:He needs to be put in his place yesterday! Timing is everything, the moment he starts to growl wear him out. You are headed for a bad ending if you don't stop him now.
You might consider a soft approach to the growl. Save the harsh punishment for the real crime, which is the snap. Last thing you want is a dog that associates punishment with a growl and not an attack. You'll end up with a sneak attacker.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:28 am

DogNewbie wrote:
volraider wrote:He needs to be put in his place yesterday! Timing is everything, the moment he starts to growl wear him out. You are headed for a bad ending if you don't stop him now.
You might consider a soft approach to the growl. Save the harsh punishment for the real crime, which is the snap. Last thing you want is a dog that associates punishment with a growl and not an attack. You'll end up with a sneak attacker.
I admit I don't know exactly what goes on in a dogs mind but I do question the premis that correcting a growl is bad but correcting a snap is good. Sounds like you are saying the growl will become sneeky but the snap won't. Not understanding why the difference. I have always tried to correct it like Volraider said, quick and as severe as it needs to be to get through to the dog at the very first sign of aggression. I do think you have to give some allowance when a strange dog comes on to your property, at least in understanding the reason for it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:
I admit I don't know exactly what goes on in a dogs mind but I do question the premis that correcting a growl is bad but correcting a snap is good. Sounds like you are saying the growl will become sneeky but the snap won't. Not understanding why the difference. I have always tried to correct it like Volraider said, quick and as severe as it needs to be to get through to the dog at the very first sign of aggression. I do think you have to give some allowance when a strange dog comes on to your property, at least in understanding the reason for it.

Ezzy
I've just read that some dogs will associate the punishment with the warning and not the action. So by correcting the growl there is a chance you are also training the dog to skip the warning part and just go straight to the action part.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 am

I am no expert, but have to chime i on this from my recent experience:

I have my 1 yr GSP, and a 7 yr Pit mix. They get along wonderful, wrestle play whatever without any problems. My mother has a Brittany, and 4 poms, all dogs get along fine with mine and we go there regularly. My brother has 2 rat terrier mixes, same thing all get along fine. My renter in my basement has a German Sheppard that gets along with all dogs ..... except my pit mix.

We had them together both under suppervision of both of us and they would walk around and no do much, until one little growl and we had a full blown dog fight in the yard. Leading to me being bit 3 times, twice on the hand ond once on the elbow. Seperating both of them leading to stiches on myslef and both dogs. This is by no means fun to deal with or watch.

I know neither one of these are gun dogs, but would hate to see it escalate to this with you. My thought to you is be vary careful with the situation that is starting and try to fix this immediatley. Since this incedent these two dogs cannot pass each other without one being kenneled, and even then they try to get at each other through the kennel. So a simple growl may or may not trigger a full reaction out of another dog or yours.

Hope it gets better for you.
Brandon

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:12 am

Just my opinion, he belives you are "his people" and he's defending you. Instead of him being "your" dog and being okay with wherever you tell him to be. I would curb it as soon as he growls. Thats my .02

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 am

"...........random aggression towards other dogs of all ages and sizes at the dog park......."
"I know the breeder will take him back but I don't want to do that yet." ......brianb... quote

7 months old ?? I would be giving him back to the breeder. The kids will get over it when they get a new pup. I've had two aggressive dogs ( shown as they became teenagers at the same age as yours),... unpredictable and a big liability looming. Tried for 2 years to "fix" it , but I'm not convinced it is possible. jmo
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I would ask, do you hunt and does this pup show real potential as a hunting dog? If you say no to either you can decide along those lines. If you hunt with others who have dogs you had better put a stop to this, as was said yesterday. Most dogs will tell you by their posture when they are going to do something aggressive. Their tail will come up, they will be up on their toes, and the hair will usually rise. At the first sign I would punish and not be gentle about it. It boils down to what you are willing to tolerate and if you don't mind hunting alone. I don't allow any agressiveness around other dogs. In the end Sharon could be correct.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 pm

First the dog park isnt a place for working class birddog. Dogs work with a pecking order whether you like it or not. Good birddogs are cocky an full of pastering. The yard thing is normal in my opion, just correct it. If you said ur dog was starting fights without warning or showing teeth over nothing then i would say he has a problem. But this i believe is normal its a big diffence from a dog being a little sharp than it is being aggressive just keep a hand on it. Also increase the the omega 3 content in his feedings. Good luck i dont think you have a problem from what you said.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Wonder how many seven month old pups haven't shown aggresstiion towards another dag that he feels is taking up his space when they get close? I know I have had a bunch and never thought much about it since it was easy to fix. I have not had one carry it over to adulthood when it was corrected early.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big swill

Post by big swill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Admittedly, I'm knew to gundogs, and have been training K9's and service dogs for the last several years. From that base of knowledge I agree with what others have said: stop that behaviour NOW. It's not uncommon for a dog that age to start getting protective, territorial, etc. But I don't think that's the case from what you describe. However, you should always squelch ANY undesired behaviour. Unprovoked dog aggression is one thing I have always dropped the hammer on fast. A growl in the situation you described, if not corrected, will lead to a snap, bite,or fight eventually. It's not a matter of if, but when. And if he runs into another dog that's bigger and badder he may get the short end of the stick. Keep in mind you're not correcting the GROWL, you're correcting the aggressive BEHAVIOUR.