Puppy Tips

LabGuy

Puppy Tips

Post by LabGuy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 am

Considering I am picking up my lab pup next weekend, I wanted to start a thread to hear everyones tips for starting their dogs off on the right foot. It will be good to hear the "I would have done this/that different" types of opinions and what everyone has experienced that you can't learn in a book.

Thanks again in advance. 8)

Cheers,
Justin

RichK

Re: Puppy Tips

Post by RichK » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

I'm also interested as I'm also picking up my GSP pup next weekend!

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

my pup is a year old now, but i would have got 2 instead of 1! :D

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Congratulations on the new pups. 1. Have fun 2. Have patience 3. Have a training program 4. Set realistic goals 5. have fun (can't say that one enough) good luck and happy hunting

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Socialize, socialize, socialize - to everything! Pup goes absolutely everywhere with you guys. Crate train from the minute you pick him up. Don't make the basic retrieving mistake of taking things from the pups mouth as soon as it brings you something - praise him and let him hold whatever he's got before you take it away - don't grab at his "prize." Let him learn to be alone (crate) and make sure you crate him some when you're in the same room so he can get used to being restricted when you're around as well as when you have to leave him.

My next goal is to be such a good puppy raiser with the next one that I don't have a single potty mistake in the house - I know I can do it, I know I can do it!

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't know if this applies to a lab, but I wish I shut up more with my pup on happy time walks when she was younger. I think I called her in so much I limited her range a bit.

Socialization is key, and definitely time in the crate with and without you.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Don't play tug of war with the pup or you risk the chance of developing a hard mouthed retreiver.

pud123

Post by pud123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Consider using feeding times as a beginer to whoa training, and feeding in the crate helps with crate training. I've had my wirehair pup for 1 week today and the potty training has been excellent. As said by others take the pup everywhere, around kids, other dogs(in a limited way) and as many people as you can. And take LOTS of pictures, they grow up really fast.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

from day one on , don't make any request of the pup, that you are not going to follow through on.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Make sure you understand the basic concepts of dog training and then train a few minutes every day.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Jumping on people. What I did is have my wife put the leash on before I came home from work. Pup was so excited to see me I made sure to stand on the leash so she couldn't jump up as I pet her. Glad I did, she is 60lbs now and hasn't jumped on anyone.Keep it fun
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks for the information everyone. Keep them coming if you still have them. Crate training tips would be great as thats my first training activity to tackle.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am

Congratulations on the new pup.
Here is a video of how we start them.

http://vimeo.com/m/56924329

Have fun

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

Let the pup be a pup and socialize
cc

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I just got my GSP pup 3 weeks ago. He's fun but he HATES the snow that is still out there, he hates the cold. And since he is in the fear stage I try not to push him into liking the snow to much at this point. I hope thats the right approach?

So far Im doing with mine what people have said to do with yours, let them be a pup, do simple things like teach them to go to the bathroom outside (obviously haha) and teach them their name and "come". Also I do a LITTLE bit of whoa training, he always follows me into the kitchen and watches me do things so when he is standing in a good "Whoah" postion I say "Whoa then repeat that after a few seconds if he stays in the postion then Ill give him some "Good boy"s and he seems to be beggining to get the concept. But I wont do anymore whoa training than that until hes a bit older, im hoping that with doing it every so often like I explained it might come a little easier to him when it is time to do it full out because he will know a little bit what is expected instead of going at it completely new.

Thats about it for me so far, Im going to wait until the snow is melted and by then he will be ~6 months old, and that is when I will introduce him to birds, water and the gun, then I will step back from that and go on to whoa training and more.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Some very good tips above. I wouldn't worry too much about him not liking the cold right now. He's just a little pup. My buddy's GSP's have no problems with cold and snow because they know that it means birds! For right now just train the dog in expected household behavior, and, as RoostersMom said, socialize, socialize, socialize! I take my pups everywhere I can. The more they see and come to understand, the more well adjusted they are. It builds confidence. Take your pup for walks out in the type of environment where it will be expected to hunt when it's mature, but don't place any demands on it at first. Let it explore its environment at its own pace. You want to make it fun for the pup. If it wants to point butterflies and grasshoppers, that's OK! Believe me, your pup will get over that. If the dog is "birdy", it won't matter what the temp is. Just don't get in a big hurry, push the dog too hard, and turn it off.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:18 pm

As I sit here with my new pup screaming in the next room in his crate I can say confidently... BUY EARPLUGS AND A GOOD BOTTLE OF BOOZE.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am

Use the hallway retrieve it seems to work the best. And when it gets time to work him on dead birds if he drops it never pick up the bird ; just walk away and say nothing they have an amazing memory If you go pick up the bird for them they will expect it from that point on. Even if you have to leave the bird in the field, though my bet is he will run back and finish the retrieve after you have walked away.

Grant

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Big bloc wrote:Jumping on people. What I did is have my wife put the leash on before I came home from work. Pup was so excited to see me I made sure to stand on the leash so she couldn't jump up as I pet her. Glad I did, she is 60lbs now and hasn't jumped on anyone.Keep it fun
Good idea. I usually get them to not jump on ME but transferring that is tough with other family and friends. Good way to help that.