wonderlead vs choke collar

ibbowhunting

wonderlead vs choke collar

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm

well the weather is warming and we started on heel with whoa stops on lead as seen of ps/pf they use a choke collar on the dvd but the wonderlead seem to work better with less pressure do you guys and gals think there would be any differents between the two, i let her be a pup for the first hunting season but now i think its time to learn

Echo Hill Kennel

Re: wonderlead vs choke collar

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm

We use the wonder lead both the 6' and 12' lengths. I prefer the rigidness of the wonder lead vs a regular leash and choke collar.

We use the 6' lead for heel and sit the 12' for whoa, just make sure you are placing around the dogs neck properly

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Echo Hill Kennel wrote:We use the wonder lead both the 6' and 12' lengths. I prefer the rigidness of the wonder lead vs a regular leash and choke collar.

We use the 6' lead for heel and sit the 12' for whoa, just make sure you are placing around the dogs neck properly

by properly you mean high on neck right behind the ears?
or backward, could you tell me more just to make sure i'm doing it right
i have the 6 footer should i invest in the 12footer?

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/leather-pinch-collars.html

This is my go to choice for everything all the time. Walks, heel training, Whoa training.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:56 pm

A wonderlead or JASA type pinch collar has one feature that the choker cannot match. The choke collar is not "spring loaded". The other two tools are.

The spring function allows instantaneous release of the correction when the dog complies. Better timing = faster training with lower pressure.

The JASA type pinch collar has one additional feature that it shares with a prong type collar.
It has a limit to how much pressure can be applied to the dog's neck. The other two tools do not.

I use a pigging sting(cheapo version of the wonderlead) and the prong collar before i trnasition to the e-collar.

RayG

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:
Echo Hill Kennel wrote:We use the wonder lead both the 6' and 12' lengths. I prefer the rigidness of the wonder lead vs a regular leash and choke collar.

by properly you mean high on neck right behind the ears?
or backward, could you tell me more just to make sure i'm doing it right
i have the 6 footer should i invest in the 12footer?
Here is a link http://www.gundogsupply.com/wonleadbydel.html

I like the 12' lead so I can stand away from the dog after he is "whoa" and still maintain control

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 pm

I would never use a choke collar. Prong collar, pinch collar, or wonder lead is the way to go IMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm

birddogger wrote:I would never use a choke collar. Prong collar, pinch collar, or wonder lead is the way to go IMO.

Charlie

they are both just tools and when used properly the end result is the same and I have use both extensively.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 pm

I prefer using the wonder lead. The position at which it sits on the neck is perfect compaired to a choke collar that moves around on a dog neck. Just remember one or two finger taps on a wonder lead is all the pressure needed to enforce the command. Don't tug and yank on it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 pm

northern cajun wrote:
birddogger wrote:I would never use a choke collar. Prong collar, pinch collar, or wonder lead is the way to go IMO.

Charlie

they are both just tools and when used properly the end result is the same and I have use both extensively.
I understand. I was just talking about myself.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:47 am

I used a choke chain for years for heel training and got good results. But, the more I trained and understood my role in the training relationship as well as how dogs learn, I have found that a 4' lead and a plain old 1/2" flat dog collar work just as well. Technique is everything. The tools of the trade are completely irrelevant.