First day in the field.

Nate K

First day in the field.

Post by Nate K » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:40 pm

We have been spending a lot of time socializing with people and other dogs. We have been spending some time on walking trails but today was her first day in the field.

We worked on "stay" and she did pretty good. I just wish she would of wanted to play a little more. While we walked she stayed close to my side for the most part. She would fall behind if she found something interesting but then would hurry to catch back up. If I stopped she would sit by my feet. She did not do much playing on her own. I hope that the more we go the more she will want to explore and play.

ScottE

Re: First day in the field.

Post by ScottE » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm

great looking pup you got there. Have fun with her

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:40 am

the more you take her out the bolder she should get. My last lab would be at my heels but in a few trips I had to put a cc on him because he was out of range(I tend to be a little more cautious)in no time. good luck with your pup and have fun.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 am

big_fish wrote:the more you take her out the bolder she should get. My last lab would be at my heels but in a few trips I had to put a cc on him because he was out of range(I tend to be a little more cautious)in no time. good luck with your pup and have fun.
This is my limited experience as well. It takes em a little while to gain the confidence to move out from dad. Since you have a flusher I would guess you don't want her getting too far out in front anyways. I am sure others will chime in on this. Enjoy!

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 am

keep going out, before you know it she will be running all over the place and having a blast. Takes some time to used to the new environments. Cute little bugger!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am

At the risk of censure, I would pass along information from one of Richard Wolters' books that can help build the dog's confidence. Wolters suggested that since the hunter will be following the dog in the field, during these "puppy walks" the hunter should always be facing the dog. Covering ground is completely unimportant. If the pup lags behind, the hunter should turn toward the dog, stop and simply wait for the dog to move on and follow it no matter the direction. That way the pup is always "out front". Like every technique, with some dogs it works wonders, with others, not so much. That is one good looking pup! But it is also very young. I think the first time or two in the field I would not work on any field commands. I would let pup get used to the big wide open. Once it starts chasing butterflies and field mice, then I would start with recall and stay. I'm a big believer in no pressure on a young pup that is in a new situation.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 am

I would lose the CC,walk slowly to where-ever you want, keep your mouth shut, and let the pup do whatever he wants. The reason he isn't getting out from under your feet now is he is interested in all of the new things in his world and there is no need to find anything yet. I will bet every time you take the pup to the field he will go a little further and find more things to do. That's just the way we all do when put into a new situation and that is why you are there. Training will come later and shouldn't interfere with the pleasure walks you are on now.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:57 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I would lose the CC,walk slowly to where-ever you want, keep your mouth shut, and let the pup do whatever he wants. The reason he isn't getting out from under your feet now is he is interested in all of the new things in his world and there is no need to find anything yet. I will bet every time you take the pup to the field he will go a little further and find more things to do. That's just the way we all do when put into a new situation and that is why you are there. Training will come later and shouldn't interfere with the pleasure walks you are on now.

Ezzy
Great stuff, Ezzy! How old is your pup, Nate? I'd guess from 12 to 16 weeks? The big, wide world is all brand new to her. She will stay very close at first, but as her confidence grows, she'll start ranging further out. This is exactly how it was with my first pup. You are there for reassurance! Let her grow at her own pace, and don't get in a big hurry. Above all make these walks fun for your pup. There's nothing like having fun to build desire in a pup to go to the field. By the way, she's gorgeous!

Nate K

Post by Nate K » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 am

Thanks everyone.

She is 9 weeks on Sunday. She is very large for her age and towers over her brothers and sisters.

We are going to get back out to the field this afternoon I am hoping. Really depends on what the weather decides to do.

We did not work on any commands. I actually didn't say anything to her except "Good Girl"

In general I have been trying to just let her be a pup and besides potty training (going great), sit (going great), stay (going good), and come (not so much) I haven't done much with her.

On occasion I will try to see if she is in the mood to retreive but to date she does not have much interest unless the wifes ankle biter is playing fetch. Then she wants to do it just so its her getting the praise and not the other dog. They are very competitive with each other.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Nate K wrote:stay (going good), and come (not so much)
With a pup that young, my trick for teaching recall is to give the command when the pup is just a short distance away (10 feet or so) and then backpedal as quickly as I can away from the pup. This uses the pup's natural desire to "play chase" to get them started in the right direction. Once the pup is close, I drop down on one knee, hold my arms out wide and scoop them up while giving lots and lots of "good dog"s. It usually works very very well for introducing recall in a pup that is already showing interest in something else.