5 month GSP busting birds/ poor field manors

Krwtek1

5 month GSP busting birds/ poor field manors

Post by Krwtek1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello I am unable to get my GSP to stop busting birds. She will point and hold some and point then bust others. She will generally hold on the first bird of the run and allow me to whoa her and stroke her up while the bird is flushed by my wife. After the first bird she will generally wait till I get a few feet from her and bust. How can I train her to not bust? She knows basic commands and listens well on cc. Off cc at home she still listens well. In the field it's hit or miss. Somedays she will listen other days not at all. She has also developed a habit of darting around me on the whistle or come command. She will get within feet of me the dart around me. How can I get her to make contact and complete the come command? I have a g3 collar but have note turned it on yet. I've thought about starting over with her off leash training using the e collar as the tritronics video suggests but am weary of introducing the collar too early.

Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: 5 month GSP busting birds/ poor field manors

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm

WElcome to the forum.
You are asking how you can control the dog on point and when farther off in the field.
I'm no expert, ( Did pup get a chance to chase flushed birds when younger so he could learn he can't catch them ?) , but I keep that CC on when the dog is searching a planted bird so I can control the dog when on point.
5 months is not too early to transition to an e collar for longer range control... depending on the dog.
You have a good e collar model, one I used for years.
I'll send you a plan for conditioning to the e collar. jmo
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm

At 5 months just let her have fun and save training for yard work, if she is pointing and holding some at 5 months thats nothing to worry about.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Get the Perfect Start DVD and follow that program - it will do wonders for your pup. She is still young!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:06 pm

If this is on planted birds use a checkchord. If it is on wild you can let him drag a checkchord, or not. Sounds like the pup is doing great.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

As the last 3 poster said, don't sweat it too much just yet. You can't really expect a 5 month old pup to perform like a finished dog. Above all, don't get in a hurry, get frustrated and blow up at the dog. Plenty of time. Just keep working at it. Slow and steady wins the race.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Sharon wrote:WElcome to the forum.
You are asking how you can control the dog on point and when farther off in the field.
I'm no expert, ( Did pup get a chance to chase flushed birds when younger so he could learn he can't catch them ?) , but I keep that CC on when the dog is searching a planted bird so I can control the dog when on point.
5 months is not too early to transition to an e collar for longer range control... depending on the dog.
You have a good e collar model, one I used for years.
I'll send you a plan for conditioning to the e collar. jmo
edit/addition : Just dealing with your problem with handling the dog in the field - a dog that won't come when called in the field at 5 months won't come when called at 7/8 months either. That's one reason why I believe that 5 months is not too young for at least collar conditioning the dog to come when called . A dog that won't come when called in the field is setting itself up for all kinds of possible trouble.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Careful with how much pressure you put on her at this point.

Do you have access to remote launchers and birds?

mask

Post by mask » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:03 pm

ACooper wrote:Careful with how much pressure you put on her at this point.

Do you have access to remote launchers and birds?
Yep, any pressure may be to much pressure for a five month old pup. If you are that concerned keep her on the check cord.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:08 pm

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I would expect a 5mo. old puppy to flush and chase birds. You are expecting too much too soon. You need to slow down, find a proven training program and follow it. Bird intro is fine but right now your focus should be on basic obedience and socializing. You need a plan and some controlled bird work. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Krwtek1

Post by Krwtek1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I appreciate all the reply's. I retread my first post and realize that it all sounds like I expect a finished dog at 5 months. That's is not how I feel. I would just like to have some input on how to train her to overcome these undesired actions. Over time of coarse. I believe in low/ no pressure environment and training. My goal is to use as little or no force when working with her.

Thanks

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Do you have access to pigeons and launchers or lots of wild birds?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 pm

"Training with Mo" by Martha Greenlee. Where are you located?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I sure wouldn't be upset with a pup npt pointing at 5 months let alone be steady. The pup should be having fun with birds at that age and not be worried about doing something right. As far as the come is concerned I have no problem using an E-collar at that age if done properly but that is a completely different thing than the holding point. Pups like kids are going to have fun sometime and it is far better to get out of the way while they are still young.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 pm

good training programme: google " Perfect Start.Perfect Finish- dog training".
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 pm

For five months your dog is doing great in my opinion.

5 months is the perfect time to alternate from the cc over to the e collar. When a dog is acting up you want to beable to get your hands on them, and the ecollar is your extended reach. To go with that woah is essential as well. Because when they cant move you can go to them.

Krwtek1

Post by Krwtek1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:09 am

Well I took Briley out last night after work. Just her and myself. I watched her chase tweety birds as much as she wanted. Being later in the evening she was pushing them out of the bushes and having a great time. She didn't get bored but began to chase for a shorter distance as she started to figure out she couldn't catch them. I gave five commands and she listened to every one of them! I used the whistle twice to signal direction change, she turned on a dime. I used the come command twice, she came to me both times. The first time she darted but returned to me, the second time she came straight to me. I used whoa once at the beginning of the run. I whoa'd her up, turned her beeper collar on, stroked her, and released her. She did great. Evening went exactly as I planned. With the days getting longer I'm gonna have to do this more often.