Gun now? Or wait?

Double Shot Banks

Gun now? Or wait?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

I know i have started many topics on this, but i am getting mixed signals because everyone has their opinion.
Should i keep shooting around banks every day a few times even if he is a little uncomfertable? Or wait a month or two and re introduce the gun with a bird at a longer distance? Or wait another month and introduce the gun without a bird?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Big bloc

Re: Gun now? Or wait?

Post by Big bloc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I did mine at feeding time far away and watched for any flinching. Only 3 or 4 shots with cap gun. As she was more relaxed at feeding I moved closer. This took months. I know this sounds off the wall but I would start my Tiller and put in away from house 100 yards fast idle. Every day we would walk closer and closer until we were playing 5ft from it with treats. Good luck. I think the trick is noise, noise and more noise,
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:06 pm

I would give it a break for a while and then start with the dog at least 50 yards away and busy. And once a day for a while when you do start.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Any kind of nervousness and you back off in distance and gun . I sent you a plan. You can use it or discard it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Big bloc wrote:I did mine at feeding time far away and watched for any flinching. Only 3 or 4 shots with cap gun. As she was more relaxed at feeding I moved closer. This took months. I know this sounds off the wall but I would start my Tiller and put in away from house 100 yards fast idle. Every day we would walk closer and closer until we were playing 5ft from it with treats. Good luck. I think the trick is noise, noise and more noise,
x2

Log splitters and chainsaws no longer bother Bow.

Grant

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:I know i have started many topics on this, but i am getting mixed signals because everyone has their opinion.
Should i keep shooting around banks every day a few times even if he is a little uncomfertable?
Or wait a month or two and re introduce the gun with a bird at a longer distance? Or wait another month and introduce the gun without a bird?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
You seem to be in a hurry. Don't be! And if the dog is uncomfortable with gunshots, and you do it every day, all you are doing is reinforcing a negative message! You're scaring the dog over and over. I like the idea of giving the dog some quiet time, then introducing other noises with maybe a gunshot at a distance. Then, reintroducing gunfire, at a distance, and always with birds. You want your dog to make a positive association. That gunfire means birds!

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:51 am

buckeyebowman wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:I know i have started many topics on this, but i am getting mixed signals because everyone has their opinion.
Should i keep shooting around banks every day a few times even if he is a little uncomfertable?
Or wait a month or two and re introduce the gun with a bird at a longer distance? Or wait another month and introduce the gun without a bird?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
You seem to be in a hurry. Don't be! And if the dog is uncomfortable with gunshots, and you do it every day, all you are doing is reinforcing a negative message! You're scaring the dog over and over. I like the idea of giving the dog some quiet time, then introducing other noises with maybe a gunshot at a distance. Then, reintroducing gunfire, at a distance, and always with birds. You want your dog to make a positive association. That gunfire means birds!
+100
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 am

Should i keep shooting around banks every day a few times even if he is a little uncomfertable? Or wait a month or two and re introduce the gun with a bird at a longer distance? Or wait another month and introduce the gun without a bird?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
If he is uncomfortable at all, I would agree with ezzy and give it a break. One of the quickest ways to ruin a dog in my opinion. Gun intro can be done alone, but it is ideal if you have a someone help you to allow you to get some distance between the dog and the gun. Dokken has a pretty good method if your looking for a video. It is in his retriever puppy training DVD.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 am

You've already got him on the verge of gunshy, why are you in such a rush to finish up the job? Leave it alone for a while. You have all summer to mess with it. All kinds of knowledgable people have taken their time to give you good advice, and most of it is counter to what you've done and what you plan. Listen to them!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am

Spend more time with the dog (without gunfire for now) and less asking questions.