NAVHDA

RichK

NAVHDA

Post by RichK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I got my GSP pup last week and I want to get him into NAVHDA. At what age should be be introduced to it and what should be know prior to going to his first training day?

Echo Hill Kennel

Re: NAVHDA

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Most NAVDHA groups are very willing to spend the time to help you learn how to train your pup if you are willing to learn and help others out when needed. I would attend their first training day they have if possible. As far as what training to do I assume you are looking at running NA this consist of tracking, field work and swimming. It might be a good idea to have your puppy already exposed to gun fire before you attend. Nothing worst then taking a young pup to an event that has never been introduced to the gun properly.

Most importantly have fun!!

Gooseman07

NAVHDA

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

I feel that you should take him as early as possible. I kinda regret not going sooner but I'm happy about where I am with training now! Take notes, lots of notes, especially if this is your first dog. Also, most clubs should be aware of puppies and limited if any gun fire will be around them training. I know my club splits, older dogs (gunfire) and younger dogs (no gunfire). Good luck!!!

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm

where in new york

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Upstate, south of Rochester.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 pm

You might consider contacting the training day coordinator or the president of the club you will be training with. They should be able to give you a better indication of what to expect. Personally, I do not think it is a bad thing to get the pups to the training days early and often. Giving the pup early exposure to all the things that come along with training is invaluable: car rides, kennel time, new places, new faces, new dogs, new environments, new smells, peeing on a leash, etc. I believe it makes for more productive training sessions than waiting and trying to do it all at once.... just to much overload. Keep in mind you know your dog and you should have your own training schedule worked out. If you don't know, ask and I think you will find lots of great advise.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 am

Good trainers up that way. Al Burkhart, Timmy Clark start attending the training sessions NAVHDA is a good place to be. Good luck hav fun!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 am

Get your pup and show up at a training day, even if he is a little young for formal training you will get lots of help with introductions and it's good for pup to be out in strange places.

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 am

Hattrick wrote:Good trainers up that way. Al Burkhart, Timmy Clark start attending the training sessions NAVHDA is a good place to be. Good luck hav fun!
I sent Al an email last night and I think I'm going to attend the April training day for the Finger Lakes NAVHDA.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 am

Good luck! Enjoy

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:54 am

You'll be in good hands. Take a crate so you can leave your pup in your vehicle while you watch others train. I would assume it is like our chapter and if you are going to be out in the field when they will be shooting you have to have orange on. Always good to take water for you & your pup too.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 am

Remmber this in NAVHDA the best way to fit in is offer help to receive help. This goes along way its a team effort across the board. You more from helping an watching others. Good luck

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I plan on attending the April 13th clinic for Central Indiana. Like mentioned on earlier posts I have a pup does anyone know how it will be structured and if I should even bring her. This will be my first training day and even if it is not advised to bring her I want to attend to check it out. If it is relevant this is my first time training a pointing dog.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

onuhunter02 wrote:I plan on attending the April 13th clinic for Central Indiana. Like mentioned on earlier posts I have a pup does anyone know how it will be structured and if I should even bring her. This will be my first training day and even if it is not advised to bring her I want to attend to check it out. If it is relevant this is my first time training a pointing dog.
I don't know how they do their training your best bet is to get a hold of one of the chapter officers and ask them. Puppies are welcome at ours and we have the space to work them away from dogs that are being shot over. When you go into the field to watch other dogs work you will not be able to take your pup with. I think it is a good idea to watch as many dogs as you can, you will see so many different things that can happen and different ways to handle them. Offer to help with whatever you can, it's another good way to learn. Have fun!!!

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 am

I agree completely I really want to help out as well but what stinks is at this point I think I will only be help for manual labor. It is sad to say but I will need guidance in helping lol.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 am

onuhunter02 wrote:I agree completely I really want to help out as well but what stinks is at this point I think I will only be help for manual labor. It is sad to say but I will need guidance in helping lol.
That's the way to learn, go out when they plant birds & learn how to do it, why they plant them where they do, etc. You wouldn't believe how many quail got away from me when I 1st started planting them at training days :evil: everyone understands you have to learn, at least in our chapter, not that I didn't take a lot of ribbing for it :) Don't be afraid to jump in, people will be happy to help you learn.