How would you handle this?

JT's Gundogs

How would you handle this?

Post by JT's Gundogs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Dog is out in front hunting well on birds I have put down. I know where they are at since I planted them and I see one fly off well in front of my dog which doesn't notice anything. As the dog approaches the area where the bird was she establishes point. After about 10 - 15 seconds the dog becomes a little soft and realizes that the bird isn't there. So here is my question. I train diligently for field trials and would like to know how other trainers would handle this situation. Would you make the dog stand until released or allow the dog the freedom to move on at it's own choice? If you allow the dog to move on what is to stop it from moving in later on when it establishes point from a distance out or in a position where it isn't getting a good nose full? Possibly an error on my part but I have been trying to teach my dogs to establish point at first scent. Partly due to the well educated chukars I hunt and also for trials. Thanks for any comments.

mudhunter

Re: How would you handle this?

Post by mudhunter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm

if i knew the bird was gone i would hit the whistle and encourage the dog to move on, they need to learn old scent. No judge wants to see a dog pointing old scent.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:55 pm

How old is the dog? If a young dog , I would say nothing and let it learn about old scent / fresh scent. I would keep moving on myself.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Do not teach a dog to false point. Whistle him on, or just let him figure it out.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Move him on.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Sounds like a young dog to me too. ignore it, he'll learn to tell the difference.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 am

Well said thats the same for all games an hunting. He will figure it out