Potty Training

RichK

Potty Training

Post by RichK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm

My GSP pup is 8 weeks old. I take him outside about every 1-2 hours and today has been a nightmare with him in terms of potty training. He has had probably 5+ accidents inside today, even though I'm taking him out constantly. Just a few minutes ago I took him out and tell him to go potty after letting him out of his kennel from eating/drinking dinner, he sniffs around and doesn't go and heads back inside after a few minutes. I assume he doesn't have to go. I go to take my shoes off because they are covered in snow, lovely NY spring weather, and I come back to see him taking a "bleep" in my living room.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to make him go outside. He will usually pee within a few seconds of being outside. Today has been a nightmare in terms of his potty training though.

benelli

Re: Potty Training

Post by benelli » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

We were "lucky" enough to have a 10-month-old toddler when our GSP was 8 weeks old, so we had baby gates set up blocking the kitchen off - one of the benefits of that is the dog never once made a mess on the carpet. He only peed in the house (never pooped), but all the times he peed was on the hard floor and therefore easier to clean up/less stressful for us. Honestly, though, we just pretty much lived in our kitchen until we could trust the puppy not to go even if we weren't watching him. I didn't allow him on the carpet for several months, just to be sure.

We had some bad days too during that first week - you're not necessarily doing anything wrong.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 pm

RichK wrote:My GSP pup is 8 weeks old. I take him outside about every 1-2 hours and today has been a nightmare with him in terms of potty training. He has had probably 5+ accidents inside today, even though I'm taking him out constantly. Just a few minutes ago I took him out and tell him to go potty after letting him out of his kennel from eating/drinking dinner, he sniffs around and doesn't go and heads back inside after a few minutes. I assume he doesn't have to go. I go to take my shoes off because they are covered in snow, lovely NY spring weather, and I come back to see him taking a "bleep" in my living room.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to make him go outside. He will usually pee within a few seconds of being outside. Today has been a nightmare in terms of his potty training though.
It all sounds perfectly normal to me. :) Pup shouldn't have the run of the house though until potty trained. I keep mine in a tiled kitchen/den where I can can keep an eye for squatting.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Takes a little time. Don't let him run the house. When he goes inside don't get upset just pick him up and take him out to his spot. More times you do this the better.
I don't allow them to run outside to go I always carry to the spot I want them to go for a couple weeks. Really does wonders.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 am

stay outside longer and keep the pup moving. Walk around the yard and it will stimulate them to go.. If the pup is coming in and immedialtey going you need to stay out till they go.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 am

I just went through potty training a GSP. You've received all good advise so far. To recap (plus a couple other ideas):

(1) Take outside to one spot frequently and wait until he goes. It's good to have a "command", "go pee", "go potty", "go now" or whatever. Lots of praise when he goes.
(2) Take out side after meals, water, or playing.
(3) No unsupervised time outside of crate.
(4) If you catch him in the act, scoop him up and put him outside.
(5) Take outside upon any sign of pacing or sniffing.
(6) When in doubt, take him outside.

There are good days and bad days, and your puppy is still very young. Be consistent and you'll have this licked.

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 am

mtlhdr wrote:I just went through potty training a GSP. You've received all good advise so far. To recap (plus a couple other ideas):

(1) Take outside to one spot frequently and wait until he goes. It's good to have a "command", "go pee", "go potty", "go now" or whatever. Lots of praise when he goes.
(2) Take out side after meals, water, or playing.
(3) No unsupervised time outside of crate.
(4) If you catch him in the act, scoop him up and put him outside.
(5) Take outside upon any sign of pacing or sniffing.
(6) When in doubt, take him outside.

There are good days and bad days, and your puppy is still very young. Be consistent and you'll have this licked.
+1 on this advice

I have an 8 week old lab and trust me, accidents in the house are going to happen. Against popular belief, I have had some success of rubbing his nose in his pee if he goes in the house and then immediately taking him outside. A very small (but seems to be effective) and harmless punishment. Here are the things that have helped me the most.

1. USE THE CRATE - best advice I can give you. It is a great training tool and never a punishment tool (no matter how much the whining makes you think it is).
2. Make a log of when he goes. Use it to judge how often he needs to go out. Will help you prevent future accidents.
3. No puppy should have free reign of the house with a full bladder. If he has been playing/eating/drinking water and its been your "estimated time", take him outside. If he doesn't go, bring him back in and put him in the crate to avoid an accident in the house. Wait a decent amount of time, and then take him out again. Once he goes outside, then you can play/eat/drink water again in the house.

moxie

Post by moxie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 pm

I am a little over a week with my PP, just turned 10 weeks on Sunday.

All of this advice is great, so I'm just piling on.

We watch him like a hawk unless he is in the crate or laying down, and if we go outside we don't go back inside unless he drains.
I have kept a close eye on his average volume so I usually have an idea if he is holding back.
All of that said, you will still have accidents. Sometimes the little dudes just feel like peeing on the floor I guess?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 am

Tie him to your belt. He'll always be close and easy to correct and he'll learn to respect the tug of the lead.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:44 am

moxie wrote:I am a little over a week with my PP, just turned 10 weeks on Sunday.

All of this advice is great, so I'm just piling on.

We watch him like a hawk unless he is in the crate or laying down, and if we go outside we don't go back inside unless he drains.
I have kept a close eye on his average volume so I usually have an idea if he is holding back.
All of that said, you will still have accidents. Sometimes the little dudes just feel like peeing on the floor I guess?
Yep nothing you can do, especially at 8 weeks, you have lots of accidents ahead of you still. My guy is 12 weeks and I still have to watch him like a hawk and he goes out every hour throughout the day (but holds it through the night now). Part of it is them making the connection between elimination and going outside, but an even bigger part is just maturity and development of their bladder. Keep at it, I feel your pain.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr