Never give a command you can't enforce

FirearmFan

Never give a command you can't enforce

Post by FirearmFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 pm

"Never give a command you can't enforce"

I see this advice everywhere I look regarding to gun dog training and it makes a lot of sense but being a newbie to all of this I don't necessarily know all the ways to enforce them. I thought it could be helpful to create a list of ways people enforce the commands they give. Not just with bird dog training but basic obedience as well. I know it would definitely help me and other newbies and maybe even some of the more experienced trainers might even come up with something new.

Any advise helps. Thanks.

Munster

Re: Never give a command you can't enforce

Post by Munster » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 pm

A command is given ONE time and enforced. Sit for example. I would say "Sit". No reaction, then I lift up on the collar and squeeze the magic button in front of the dogs hips that drop the butt. Then I praise. But not to much praise that it will cause the dog to move out of position. If the dog were to move without a command, I dont give another, I have already given the command, they arent dumb and they can hear.

Is that what you are looking for?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:02 pm

If your dog or pup is running around do not keep yelling HERE ..you are only teaching the pup/dog that your commands mean nothing the other thing is as you yell out the command and follow all you are teaching the dog is to keep on going the direction it desires to go and that you will follow them like a yipping young pup does

and No matter how mad you get if you scream HERE and that pup/dog finally comes to you ....Reach down and Pet the dog because the dog will only view being yelled scolded or punished as being punished for coming to you not the act of running around not coming to you.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:17 am

Today I had my 2 year old refuse to come back and get in the boat he knows the Here command and responds 90% of the time. I went and got him and walked dragged him back into the boat, Not sure if this will make it tougher to get him use to the boat or if he will start to refuse the Here command I guess time will tell.

Grant

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am

I am no expert but I always make sure the dog is either on leash or a CC. It dose no good to give a command if you cant control the out come. Even in the house and fence yard. If you spend all your time chasing the dog around to comply he or she has learned nothing. Also once the command is giving it is time to comply don't wait 5 minutes. I think it is like 3 seconds. This is just my thought. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:23 am

kninebirddog wrote:If your dog or pup is running around do not keep yelling HERE ..you are only teaching the pup/dog that your commands mean nothing the other thing is as you yell out the command and follow all you are teaching the dog is to keep on going the direction it desires to go and that you will follow them like a yipping young pup does
What does everyone suggest to do to handle this on an 8 week old pup? Check cord is a little heavy for them to be dragging around (or at least i think it is).

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 am

Para cord. It is light weight
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:01 am

About ten week old puppy. He got that when I picked him up at eight weeks. Made out of cotton close line.

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

pud123

Post by pud123 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:19 am

I started using the check cord at 8 weeks with my wirehair pup, now at just about 11 weeks she hardly notices it, unless she decides not to listen to the HERE command. :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:45 pm

I use chicken or liver treats.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm

So if a cord makes the here command always enforceable does this mean you are not letting go of the cord?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm thinking there is probably nobody on this forum that has never gave a command the couldn't enforce, especially with a dog you live with on a daily basis. sounds good probably don't always happen. I find treats very effective and try to avoid situations where they don't want to obey until the are on the E-collar. Cj

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

ACooper wrote:So if a cord makes the here command always enforceable does this mean you are not letting go of the cord?
Not until you transfer to the ecollar. :wink:

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 am

"Never give a command you cannot enforce" is another way of saying that control begins very close and is then extended through various tools. Initially, commands like recall are given in a closed environment or to a pup so small it can't get away from you. Later, a transition is made to a cc and finally to an ecollar finishing with a dog that will recall with no force. Likewise, heel is done with a leash and usually a coercive collar of some sort, transitioning to a leash and flat collar and finally off leash. So, what we are developing is a mind-set.
cjhills wrote:m thinking there is probably nobody on this forum that has never gave a command the couldn't enforce,
This is almost certainly true, but an experienced trainer working under this mindset would certainly consider how to enforce a command before giving it and would certainly not keep repeating the command if it was refused. Experienced trainers understand that dogs are always learning and sometimes what they are learning is that they can sometimes get away with not obeying commands, especially if we as trainers are not careful with what we say or do. Thus the saying, "Never give a command you cannot enforce."

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:58 am

ACooper wrote:So if a cord makes the here command always enforceable does this mean you are not letting go of the cord?
Not necessarily.

If the youngster is trailing a 20 ft. cord and is in an enclosed area, you can let it ramble freely. When you wish to issue the come command, for example, wait for the dog come on by so that, if necessary you can step on the cord to enforce the command. That actually works remarkably well. Timing is everything.

PLAN YOUR WORK...then go out and work your plan. Think about what you want to work on and just how you are going to work on it...before you even start. Think about what can go wrong and how you are going to handle it WHEN( not if) it does and you will be waaaaay ahead.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am

+1 on Ray.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!