The Best Kept SECRET IN DOG TRAINING

S&J gsp

The Best Kept SECRET IN DOG TRAINING

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:44 am

All good trainers have four things in common. they are consistency, repetition, praise and discipline. Once you get through all the methods they all use those 4 things.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: The Best Kept SECRET IN DOG TRAINING

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm

The best kept secret ?.....Just what I have learned - No one is as good at training as they think they are. They make mistakes , of which they are unaware . We are all learners and never really arrive at the "I now know it all" level.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 pm

I learned a long time ago give an opinion when asked and keep my mouth shut and learn. Another well kept secret is use a check cord and be able to know when to move forward a dog will tell you when to add pressure and when to back off

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 pm

how bout training with no checkcord and almost no pressure :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Add timing to what you said and we call it 5 instead of 4.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm

You have my attention about no pressure training I've never tried no pressure but have had good results with low pressure training

volraider

Post by volraider » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 pm

A great dog man once told me "If they ain't broke with me at the end of a 10 ft checkcord how are they going to be broke with me on a horse and them 300 yards away" Makes a lot of sense to me.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 pm

birddog1968 wrote:how bout training with no checkcord and almost no pressure :D
Now that is the best kept secret.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:17 pm

ACooper wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:how bout training with no checkcord and almost no pressure :D
Now that is the best kept secret.
Shhhh.... :mrgreen:
volraider wrote:A great dog man once told me "If they ain't broke with me at the end of a 10 ft checkcord how are they going to be broke with me on a horse and them 300 yards away" Makes a lot of sense to me.
If they'll do it 10' from me off check cord I'm not worried about whats happening at 300yds. Makes more sense....:)

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 am

If you look at all the methods that are out on DVD and books. Whether it is Hickcox, Smith, Gramham, Perfection they all have those 4 things in common. Now timing and reading a dog have been mentioned that is what makes a great trainer. As a new trainer if you follow the 4 things listed here your timing and reading a dog will get a lot better if you put forth an effort.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 am

Timing is about everything. Also I'd bet the best trainer's really know how to read what the dog is gonna do! You get reading the dog down and it's a lot easier timing your correction.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Being able to read a dog and excellent timing allows a good trainer to be consistent through repetition and also enables them to know when praise is needed and when discipline is needed. The first two come before the other 4 every time. Consistently having bad timing, using discipline or praise incorrectly isn't going to get you anywhere.

I also firmly agree with the dog having to be broke on a checkcord before they can be broke over the hill. They have to earn the right to run over the hill and be trusted to be broke.

S&J gsp wrote:All good trainers have four things in common. they are consistency, repetition, praise and discipline. Once you get through all the methods they all use those 4 things.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Books can be great tools for the basics but all the books in the world will not teach you how to Read a dog Have Patience and timing in the training to make repetition a Habit
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Knine that was the point I was trying to make I've see several people tell a new trainer to read the dog but if you don't know what your looking at you can't read the dog. When I started the Internet was not around so most of my stuff was trail and error and it was more error than any thing till I started thinking two steps ahead.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't know if it's the "best kept secret" but it certainly is not something most people think about. A handler should almost never give a "single" command. Commands are usually paired with a release command, ie "whoa" and "move on" or "ok" go together or "recall" and "huntemup", "kennel" and "out", so on and so forth.

big swill

Post by big swill » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm

IMHO, I think while all 4 of the things mentioned by the OP are important, I believe that reading a dog is the most important tool a trainer can have in their toolbox. I don't believe you can get the timing down on praise or correction if you don't know how to read what the dog is going to do before he does it. I think this especially applies to corrections. A close 2nd, IMO, is patience. I've seen more dogs set back and/or messed up due to impatience than anything else. While good trainers use both praise and discipline, great ones are equal with their intensity on both. Often folks don't hesitate to light a dog up or verbally hammer a dog only to give it a solemn and muttered "good boy" when it does an exercise correctly. I'm of the opion that the praise should match the correction in intensity. If you make a big deal over what a dog does wrong, make a big deal over what it does right. That's part of being consistent. With all that said, though, the one every great trainer has in common IMO, is that they understand the WHY of what they do. Anyone can learn the how and what, but when you understand WHY the lights start to come on. Out of the dog and the handler, one of them needs to know why something is happening, and it won't be the dog.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm

S&J gsp wrote:Knine that was the point I was trying to make I've see several people tell a new trainer to read the dog but if you don't know what your looking at you can't read the dog. When I started the Internet was not around so most of my stuff was trail and error and it was more error than any thing till I started thinking two steps ahead.
That is where hands on and Mistakes are the most valuable tool a person/trainer/handler can gain

I was told one time Everyone is a great trainer ...Majority of them will help you to learn what NOT to do :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 am

OK I'm not saying that timing and reading a dog are not important just that if you use these 4 things you can get your timing and reading a dog down. The main reason most trainers can get a dog done in three months is that they see hundreds of dogs a year. I know they all have a method they follow and I know most washout a few dogs a year.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 am

S&J gsp wrote:OK I'm not saying that timing and reading a dog are not important just that if you use these 4 things you can get your timing and reading a dog down.
Wow, I completely misunderstood the intent of this thread. I thought we were sharing different things that are often misunderstood by people trying to teach dogs how to be bird dogs. My apologies.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 am

This post was intended to help people train there dog. The last post was so folks don't put a time line on training it may take 6 months to a year to get a dog where you want it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

S&J gsp wrote:This post was intended to help people train there dog. The last post was so folks don't put a time line on training it may take 6 months to a year to get a dog where you want it.
Yes this is also a very very important thing ...If one wants to put a timeline on training That is a first step to failure
Why I say this is one may push a great training session to failure because they feel they should be doing more in a session

Or that a dog should know more by a certain time in length of training
Much like people the dogs that pick it up and are naturals can get bored from over doing the same thing
with another dog that certain time line may not be enough

Keep sessions Simple..End on Successful notes even if it means to take a step back