pigeon planting-- my dumb Q of the day

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

pigeon planting-- my dumb Q of the day

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm

How do you plant pigeons on the ground for training? I here talk of this but logistically how? I am wondering if this really possible or if they are always using clipwings. Is there some pigeon trick I don't know 8)

SpringerDude

Re: pigeon planting-- my dumb Q of the day

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Hold the pigeon around the shoulders. with a turning motion at the wrist, swing the pigeon around in a circle until the head stretches out. While still turning wrist in a circle, throw the bird to the ground. If the grass is too short, the bird will be able to see you and will probably not stay on the ground long.

Even the best planters will have birds fly off at times. Just part of the deal.

Sometimes the birds will walk off and the pup will get a chance to trail out the bird.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:06 pm

There are probably 100 different ways. I use a launcher with a 2 liter bottle and a 2 ft string. This way the bird only fly's a short distance. I have heard of kick boxes that sounds simple. Try putting them to sleep. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:34 pm

head tuck um, place the head under the wing until they quit fight it,then gently laid them on there wing with the head under it
Last edited by ibbowhunting on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:head tuck um, place the head under the wing until they quit fight it then gently laid them of there wing with the head under it
+1
Works every time

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:19 pm

mountaindogs wrote:How do you plant pigeons on the ground for training? I here talk of this but logistically how? I am wondering if this really possible or if they are always using clipwings. Is there some pigeon trick I don't know 8)
I never use clipped wing pigeons. I want the advantage of that bird flying off hard and the young dog learning he can't catch it. At $1-2 a bird I think it is a small price to pay for a couple of months, ( hopefully), of quality training,
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

volraider

Post by volraider » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Here is a video of the way I put a pigeons and other birds down.

http://s303.photobucket.com/user/volrai ... sort=6&o=1

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:27 pm

You could lock their wings, but they can not fly until you unlock them. Kick cages can also be easily made.

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Just like bowhunting said. Tuck the head under the wing and hold firmly. Only thing I'd add is that you will notice a change in the way the bird is breathing. In my experience, they will fly off prematurely if you don't wait for that.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm

rinker wrote:You could lock their wings, but they can not fly until you unlock them. Kick cages can also be easily made.

This looks to me like the best way, locked wings on the pigeons AND some type of launcher, your dog will always expect more birds!!--George Hickox explains it best in his video http://www.gundogsonline.com/video/hunt ... aining/Pac Click on video tips, go to page 5 BUT, you will want to watch all of the training clips!!!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Are we talking about a flushing or pointing breed? What specifically are you trying to accomplish with the dog?
You have some pretty good general responses so far.

Nate

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm

if you tuck the head under a wing, lay it on that wing with a bit of cover and chances are a young dog is going to catch the bird, it's asleep! If you spin the bird, make sure it's eyes are blinking too, it dizzy's them. Should give you maybe 5 min before the bird is up and walking around. Dizzying works best with flusher's. Doesn't matter if they catch the bird. Putting them to sleep is for pointing dogs already holding well.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Are we talking about a flushing or pointing breed? What specifically are you trying to accomplish with the dog?
You have some pretty good general responses so far.

Nate
+1
I plant pigeons a couple different ways, depends on what I'm doing with the dog.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:57 am

ibbowhunting wrote:head tuck um, place the head under the wing until they quit fight it,then gently laid them on there wing with the head under it
+1 yep

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 am

Don't plant them too deep. I place them on top of the ground and mulch them. Keeps them out of sight and in place longer I think. 8)

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 am

A bit of cover on top of them, don't need a lot, will also keep them from rolling over. They do that consider them gone.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Sharon is right on what I am after. For pointing dogs. So you are all just putting then to sleep or dizzying them like with quail. I guess they are just harder to get to stay put but the mulching I will try. Thanks.