Training tools to buy for GSP puppy

brujito

Training tools to buy for GSP puppy

Post by brujito » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 am

I just was given a 10 week old gsp puppy. It is my first gun dog. I plan on starting her training right away but I am not sure what tools are absolutely needed/really helpful and what brands I should buy. I am trying to be cost conscious so a $400 e-collar is out of my budget. Are there used collars I can buy that are in good working order? Where is the best place to look for training equipment?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training tools to buy for GSP puppy

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

NO e collar needed for some time. YOu need a leash , a long check cord and a crate . Look into the "Perfect Start. Perfect Finish " videos in order to get off to a good start.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40960
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I get by with a lead, a whistle, a few dummies (bumpers) of appropriate puppy sizes and as many birds as I can help a pup find.
An e-collar might be useful depending upon how you wish to train the pup but it isn't an essential. Dogs were hunting, pointing and retrieving long before electricity was invented.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm

I agree with the above, but will add stock up on patience, patience, patience. I wouldn't be to concerned with hard training or e collar training at 10 weeks. Let that puppy be a puppy. Get the pup into birds and do obedience to start. Good luck and let us know how it is going.

No more than 10 or 15 minute sessions, and always end on a good note. Try to stop while the pup is really into it. Keeps them wanting more.

M2C,

Joe

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm

You need a crate, collar, leash, light rope for its first " check cord" and to read Bailey's " How to help gundogs train themselves."

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Easy with the e collar....

Training a gun dog is like building a house, you need good foundations Perfection Kennels dvd The Perfect Start, is just that.
Basics are VERY important and none of them need a e collar, remember to have fun!

Read all the replies and remember to apply your mind do some research and take what you need from these replies.
Remember there is no right or wrong answer in how the dog should work, it will be up to you to decide.

There will be many guys on this forum with sound advice on how to train your dog, just say what you want to achieve.

Have fun