SmartFetch Questions

RickB

SmartFetch Questions

Post by RickB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am

Hi,

Many people rave about Evan Graham's SmartFetch program, so I recently bought it (book and DVD). Read the book and I have some questions. I run a pointing dog, and a lot of the language in the book comes from retriever dog world, so I think I need a translation on some things.

1) In the book, all of the dogwork starts with the dog sitting. Since I have a pointing breed, I never expect my dog to sit while working. Is there any reason that I cannot do the work from "Whoa" instead of "sit"?

2) What is the reason for switching the command from "Fetch" to "Back"? Do you need to switch from "Fetch" to some other verbal command?

3) Some of the later work seems to require an inordinate number of bumpers. It seems like there are 3 separate piles (each with nine bumpers?). That is a lot of bumpers to buy (and store). What would I be missing out on if I were to skip buying 27 bumpers and not do wheel stuff or the inverted T stuff? In other words, stop at force to pile with 9 bumpers?

Thanks

Rick

campgsp

Re: SmartFetch Questions

Post by campgsp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am

1) you don't need to use sit. It doesn't matter if the dog sits or stands just making sure he stays is the key.

2) no fetch is all you need to use. Obviously you can teach a dog to "fetch" using any command word.

3) I personally use bumpers and any thing laying around the house, ie. Pop bottles, sticks, hats, etc. In my experience the more different types of objects you use the better the finished product.

Good luck

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:47 pm

The major concern I have in using "whoa" instead of "sit" is that the dog whoa's facing the wrong way sometimes (like if I want to whoa him while he's going back to a bumper and then "over" him). That is the only problem I've had..... I just don't do adjustments when he's going away from me - I'm not sure exactly how to handle that issue yet. I've just started on our GSP and the Vizsla is doing force to pile work now.

If Evan comes on here, maybe he can answer that question.

I'm not sure why 'fetch' goes to 'back' - but I'm like a monkey in a cage, I've been doing it that way since the DVD says to. It's like "hold" goes to "fetch" - never really understood that one either.

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm

I can kind of see hold going to fetch. I can imagine a situation where the dog might get sloppy and just drop a bird in order to look for more birds. Maybe I'm getting a drink of water when pup retrieves a cripple. If pup drops it before I am ready, then we gotta run that bird down again. In other words, I can see one still giving the "hold" command after a retrieve. They kind of teach different things.

At least that is how I picture it in my mind.

Rick

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm

I just went through much of this same discussion and am currently on force to pile. Fetch to back is to more easily transition to lines and blind retrieves. I suppose you could use fetch just as well. I use different commands for marks and blinds, hence I use back for blinds. I also only do NAVHDA and JGHV stuff so I don't know how smart works would translate into the FT world. Do you use fetch for marks? If so, I suggest have one command for marks and one for lining work.

I think the number of bumpers is to provide a good amount of repetition for the lines, as well as casting. I'm certainly not going to end up getting 27, I have 9-10 of various sizes and shapes and when I get to casting I'll end up breaking those into smaller groups.

Evan is on here regularly, He should reply in the next few days, if not, PM him and I bet he'll be happy to help.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 pm

RickB wrote:I can kind of see hold going to fetch. I can imagine a situation where the dog might get sloppy and just drop a bird in order to look for more birds. Maybe I'm getting a drink of water when pup retrieves a cripple. If pup drops it before I am ready, then we gotta run that bird down again. In other words, I can see one still giving the "hold" command after a retrieve. They kind of teach different things.

At least that is how I picture it in my mind.

Rick
I see where you're coming from but in my mind "fetch" means go get it and don't drop it until I say "give." I shouldn't need a "hold" command as long as I've used "fetch" - it's the same with a "stay" command. When I say "sit" that means sit until I give you another command. That said... I do revert back to "hold" if the dog is getting sloppy on the bumper - cigar holding or mouthing the bumper. This retrieving stuff shouldn't have to be so hard for gosh sakes - all my dogs like to retrieve (with the exception of the older pointer - but she's the queen so we don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to anymore).