Manual Bird Releases

gsp1985gj

Manual Bird Releases

Post by gsp1985gj » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

Just curious if anyone has any advice about manual releases, effectiveness, who makes the best product, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: Manual Bird Releases

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 am

They work just fine. The best way is to use a helper to pull the string, and a check cord on the dog so you can keep him from jumping on the launcher. If your dog is staunch enough and you can walk in front of him on point, then a helper usually isn't needed.

Most companies that make automatics also sell them in manual. You can get a manual and add electronics later if you want. I have a DT single and a Dogtra multiple setup. The electronics and battery setup on the Dogtra is far superior to the DT. I've had battery and remote problems with the DT. None with the Dogtra.

Doug

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:03 am

Go to a hardware store and get a couple of feet of 1/2" by 1" cage wire and some cage clips. Make a cage big enough for a pigeon with no bottom in it. Place the cage over a pigeon and set a brick on top of the cage. Tie a long string to the side of the cage opposite the direction you will approach from and run the string back over the top of the brick. When you are ready to flush pull the string turning the whole thing over a freeing the pigeon. This will cost you $5, and work great. I have electronic launchers but I still use these when I want to flush multiple birds.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

I am just finishing up my DIY remote launcher conversion, and it is not too difficult. There is a PDF on this site, but there is an addendum to it. The electronic side of it is much simpler since you can get cheap remote/receiver electronic sets. The conversion of 2 manuals will end up costing me 80-100$ and I end up with 2 extra remotes and an extra receiver. Just figuring out where to put the connections for the backer board .

Could have used a 3d printer to make a custom box. But that would have added 3-5 k to the project :D

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

If you have a helper and no remote traps, I think kick traps are the best answer. Mine are made out of 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth. I cut out a board with a 3# coffee can size circle on it, cut out the circle. Then cut the circle in half, two ends of a trap. Staple the hardware cloth around the ends and then some very light strips of wood from one end to the other, maybe 1/8". Cover the top and half way down with the strips. No brick needed. I had trouble early on with birds dumping them and getting away. Solved it by covering the traps with dead grass. Dead grass is great but can be hard to find at time's. The strips can be covered with dead grass if it's there. I think what the covering does is quiet's the bird down and stops it from struggling. Only necessary to do the top and about half way down the side's. With the strips on the trap, the bird stays quiet while you find some cover to hide the whole thing. I'll try to remember to get a photo of them later if you want to see them. Unless your dog is steady on birds, use a helper with foot traps. I would not count on finding the string, getting it and paying attention to the dog all at the same time. And don't let someone else plant so you don't know where the birds are. You need to know exactly where each bird is. By knowing, even with the cc, you know in advance when the dog should hit the bird and you'll be, or should be, ready to help the dog.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 am

DonF wrote:Solved it by covering the traps with dead grass. Dead grass is great but can be hard to find at time's. The strips can be covered with dead grass if it's there. I think what the covering does is quiet's the bird down and stops it from struggling.
+1 covering it also help discourage sight pointing the trap.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 am

aulrich wrote:Could have used a 3d printer to make a custom box. But that would have added 3-5 k to the project :D

Hmmm.....I have access to a 3D printer. :idea:

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Don, I can't for the life of me picture your traps. If you could post a picture it'd be much appreciated.

gsp1985gj

Post by gsp1985gj » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks all! Just got a lot more to consider, I'm not too concerned about the conversions that will come sometime down the road.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm

I have the dogtra bird launcher. It is made so you can buy it as a manual launcher, and then buy the electronics later.