Training Programs

S&J gsp

Training Programs

Post by S&J gsp » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:24 am

When you select a training program whether it be Huntsmith, Perfection, Training With Mo, Hickox or any other pick one you can follow and stick to it. It gets real hard to here choose when you have all choose this one no chose this one there are a lot of good programs out today make some calls send some emails and see who responds and who don't. The program is no good if you have no help with a problem I've talked with several people on here and several trainers and only one won't help you with a problem. I'm not going to say on here but do some research before you spend your money. And rember in the long run you have to be happy with your results and your the one feeding your dog no one else. Take your time and make a good choice and follow the program and enjoy your dog

Maurice

Re: Training Programs

Post by Maurice » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 pm

That's what I tell folks too. Pick a method and learn it from start to finish.. Mixing and matching methods confuses new trainers and most dogs :)

Mo

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

OK I know this is an older post but I think about every month because I get a helping e-mail from a well Respected trainer that goes with a program mentioned in the post that really helps understand his methods and how they work. Not many people will offer that kind of help with there programs with out attending there seminars. With that said I would like to thank Maurice Lindely for all his responses to all the emails and questions in the past few months

Now I'm not knocking any body's choice of programs I've personally talked to almost all the trainers mentioned in the first post and all helped me though the problems I had at the time but Mo has helped more than I could ask for

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Personally , I think 'Programmes' are marketing !
I don't knock them, but if you follow them and it works ,then it works for you.
Doesn't mean it works for 'Me and You'?...Hmmm , maybe that's why they don't have 'The one programme that works for all'? :mrgreen:

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Wow tag team advertising, I like it!

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm

[quote="4dabirds"]Wow tag team advertising, I like it![/quote
Don't know about advertising, but has been my experience that Mo. has always been willing to help with training problems if asked, and has invited some down to train with him. :)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm

S&J gsp wrote:OK I know this is an older post but I think about every month because I get a helping e-mail from a well Respected trainer that goes with a program mentioned in the post that really helps understand his methods and how they work. Not many people will offer that kind of help with there programs with out attending there seminars. With that said I would like to thank Maurice Lindely for all his responses to all the emails and questions in the past few months

Now I'm not knocking any body's choice of talked to almost all the trainers mentioned in the first post and all helped me though the problems I had at the time but Mo has helped more than I could ask for
I've had the same experience with Mo and I'm not even a customer of his. I have used his book to the point it is dog eared and with coffee stains. I keep a small inventory of his books available to my new puppy customers.

To be fair, Rick Smith has always taken my calls and offered coaching.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:18 pm

I've not dealt with Rick but I have called Ronnie a few times and he has helped with the problem I had. I've also been able to call Jon Hann for a problem and got help. I am not a customer of any of them I am not a customer of Mo's either but all the trainers I mentioned have been more than helpful only one has told me he couldn't because I was not a customer.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

4dabirds wrote:Wow tag team advertising, I like it!

Coming from the guy who spends hours and hours trying to convince everyone that some gimmick is the best way to train a bird dog!! You getting a commission on that junk?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing Miller!! :roll:

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 am

Here is another way too look at programs. You spend between 400-1000 on a pup, spend between 200-500 on an e-collar, spend between 200-800 on quail, and another 200 or so on other training stuff. I think another 20-200 dollars to learn how to use it would be worth the investment. When I got my first bird dog I had no ideal how to train a bird dog there was no internet and I fumbaled my way through it. Now that I have an ideal what I want in a dog and a good grasp on how to read a dog I wish I would have had a program to follow a lot of years ago. Now I'm not pushing any program there are many good programs just pick one that sounds good to you and work with that program you'll see good results

SanerSoft

Post by SanerSoft » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 am

If it's not working for you... sometimes you have to switch. In the past 3 months I attended 8 days of Hickox seminars but I am switching to the Higgins method for training my dogs (8 and 9 months). His methods are more inline with an Agility trainer I have been following that have worked for my dog. The concept is set up the training scenarios so the dog self satisfies (to what you want) rather than be forced into compliance.
"Train with intimacy, not intimidation. Train with your head not your hand. Never let anything bad happen to your dog that can be associated with you. Always position your dog to self-train." ... Bill Tarrant