Introduction to what ever

DonF
GDF Junkie

Introduction to what ever

Post by DonF » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

I keep seeing these introduction to things and a thought entered my head, plenty of room there! If your introducing a pup or dog to something that it's never experienced, don't scare the cr*p out of it. If you stop and think about it, what your getting ready to do is teach it not to be afraid. Don't let a pup maul a bird that can beat the cr*p out of it; don't fire a gun right next or even to close to the pup; don't take a pup out around horse's that you don't know have never been around dogs. Don't let your dog that is used to horse's to close to the horse your introducing top the dog, the dog could get trampled! Use a lot of simple common sense doing these things and then you find there's a bunch of ways to do then and few not to do. Don't do something that might scare them!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SpringerDude

Re: Introduction to what ever

Post by SpringerDude » Fri May 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Makes a lot of sense. It amazes me the number of people that will do the few things that screw up a dog and miss out on all the different ways of doing things correctly.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I think one of the most misunderstood statements Delmar ever made was "never deprive your dog and opportunity to learn". What do you suppose he ment by that?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I think one of the most misunderstood statements Delmar ever made was "never deprive your dog and opportunity to learn". What do you suppose he ment by that?
Experience is a wonderful thing

When pups are in new situations let them learn ...do not say anything and most important act if all is OK...Do not coddle or talk to the pup...if the pup got out to far and is a little concerned walk across the pups view and just make a joyful type noise and move on let pup be happy to see you and move with you
or if pup is nervous at some new object...just be quiet let the pup figure it out on its on that what they are checking out isn't going to eat them.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 am

kninebirddog wrote: act if all is OK...
A key ability to being successful right there...

If you can't convince a dog, through your own demeanor, that everything you're exposing it to is "no big deal" then you won't end up a calm, composed dog.

The only time it's OK to show that you're excited is when you get a result which you have been looking for, the rest of the time it's imperative to have a "been there done that" expression about everything the dog encounters.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I think one of the most misunderstood statements Delmar ever made was "never deprive your dog and opportunity to learn". What do you suppose he ment by that?
I read this as:

1. Some things you need to find out for yourself. This includes dogs.
2. Allow the dog to learn by association, because this is the only way it can learn.
3. Too much intervention can result in a dog that is mechanical and dependant.

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am

kninebirddog wrote:if pup is nervous at some new object...just be quiet let the pup figure it out on its on that what they are checking out isn't going to eat them.
What if the object is a gator? :P

Nate

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:if pup is nervous at some new object...just be quiet let the pup figure it out on its on that what they are checking out isn't going to eat them.
What if the object is a gator? :P

Nate
If you have a Gator just don't use it around the pup. :roll: :roll:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.