Positive Reinforcement Training With the Clicker

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: Positive Reinforcement Training With the Clicker

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat May 18, 2013 8:57 am

Neil wrote:You all need to check out Robert Millner at Duckhill.

http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/pos ... gs.php[url][/url]
www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/positivegundogs.php

Thanks Neil,

I think I can relate much better to this program. I've found myself relying on the e-collar less and less over the past few years. My 8 year old ESS doesn't need the collar. In fact I haven't ran him with a collar for at least 4 years now, and he's a MH caliber bird dog. I'm currently doing a lot of e-collar free training with my GSP. I don't care what anyone says or how you train with the e-collar, the dog knows the difference and behaves differently without it. For better or for worse.

Nate

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat May 18, 2013 9:09 am

roaniecowpony wrote: If you ever get a chance to see an expert with a clicker and target (ball on a stick) work with some 12 week old puppies, it's a really amazing thing to see. I watched Hickox do it last September. I think the advantages over a voice praise will be self-evident if you see it.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Most people won't buy in to this type of training until they've seen it first hand. I'm sure you saw one or two people at a seminar who paid good money, and still refused to acknowledge it. The same goes for any seminar, be it Rick Smith or whoever. Dogs are easy to train, its the owners that are tough. Many people look at it like a parlor trick, and don't see how they could possibly apply it in a practical manner based on their needs. Their loss and unfortunately the dog's loss as well. You can't change a mind that's set on something else, and to each his own.

Nate

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sat May 18, 2013 11:27 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:
Neil wrote:You all need to check out Robert Millner at Duckhill.

http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/pos ... gs.php[url][/url]
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/positivegundogs.php

Thanks Neil,

I think I can relate much better to this program. I've found myself relying on the e-collar less and less over the past few years. My 8 year old ESS doesn't need the collar. In fact I haven't ran him with a collar for at least 4 years now, and he's a MH caliber bird dog. I'm currently doing a lot of e-collar free training with my GSP. I don't care what anyone says or how you train with the e-collar, the dog knows the difference and behaves differently without it. For better or for worse.

Nate

I have incorporated some of this into my training works well.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Nearly everyone reading this has heard about clicker training. Some have successfully experienced good results, and some have decided that it's just an extra step in training. Others think it's hogwash, and it has no place in gun dog training. This post isn't to convince you to start clicker training, but to clear up some of the misconceptions of a very misunderstood training tool. I apologize for the choppiness and repetition. I chose to break this down into a Q&A format, so that it can be easily picked apart for discussion.

What is a clicker?

A clicker is a simple box type device with a button, when pushed it makes a "clicking" sound. There are many shapes and sizes, but they essentially all work the same as a reinforcement.
Like a Rabbit?

What is a reinforcer?

A reinforcer is something that when presented following a behavior increases the likelihood of repeat behavior in the future. To be a reinforcer it needs to be perceived as something positive to the recipient. I you use a primary reinforcer (anything the dog inherently likes such as food, social contact, play or visual stimuli), paired with a secondary reinforcer (such as a click), a positive reinforcement and association will occur. We then use this positive association to reinforce desired behaviors, which can then be cued by a command. Any audible or visual signal can be a cue to the dog.
Like a Rabbit?

Why is a clicker different from other reinforcements?

The clicker is very consistent, and timeable. You could substitute the sound of the clicker with your voice or snapping your fingers, but the consistency and timing could never be compared. Your voice carries baggage whether you realize it or not. Also, the tendency to repeat a cue or talk to the dog, is virtually eliminated with clicker work.
Like a Rabbit?

On what principal does positive reinforcement "clicker" training work?

The is more of a general question, but it's important to understand. Positive reinforcement training works because your dog is far more motivated to please itself than it is to please you. If the dog anticipates a reward for a behavior, it is more motivated to exhibit that desired behavior than if it were forced to do it. That said, there must be a balance to reward for compliance and an understanding of how to avoid pressure. Just keep in mind that you can't build style in a dog with pressure. That's why I feel it's best to build style with the clicker, teaching and shaping the behavior first. When the behavior is in place and the cue is beginning to generate a conditioned response, you know the dog can handle and learn to avoid pressure.
Like a Rabbit?

How do I make the avoidance transition?

Making a transition to avoidance training is quite simple when the dog already fully understands the cue. By avoidance training I'm referring to teaching the dog to turn off, and avoid stimulation with the e-collar. Once you've established the lowest stimulation level the dog will respond to, you can begin to bridge the e-collar and the clicker. I use a training method called pre-cue / cue. This simply means the new thing before the learned thing. If you were to teach this kennel command with the clicker, you would first lure the dog to the kennel and click and treat every baby step of the way. Once the dog is enthusiastically entering the kennel, and gets rewarded every time he goes in then you generalize the command. Turn the kennel 90 degrees, stand further away from it, place it in various locations, etc... This is all done in very small steps that the dog can understand, and over the span of several months. (I don't do any e-collar work before the pup is at least 5 months old, but begin shaping behaviors with the clicker at 8 weeks. I also try to have introductory field work (birds and guns) completed by the age of 5 months. Begin with the dog on a check cord, and the e-collar receiver on the neck. (The dog should already be familiar with both the check cord and wearing the collar on his neck.) Give the dog the cue kennel and each time he goes in, click and treat. Set your pre-determined e-collar level. Stimulate and say kennel, when he goes in click and treat. When he's consistently going in on the stimulation before you say the cue, stimulate without the cue, and click and treat. At this point I give the cue and follow it with the stimulation, never again giving the dog stimulation before the cue for this command. Generalize the command and continue to click and treat when the dog goes in the kennel to keep him upbeat. With enough consistent repetitions you can eliminate the stimulation and the clicker. A conditioned response to the cue will eventually be made. Keep in mind that this doesn't happen right away, but over an extended period of time and with generalization to the command. Teaching the behavior with the clicker before teaching avoidance will result in a shorter learning curb, less pressure and less frequency of stimulation.
LIKE When it chases a Rabbit?

Nate
How do you stop the dog from chasing rabbits with a clicker?..or Clicker programme?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 am

Chukar12 wrote:It's not a dodge, as a semi professional trainer I would think the facts surrounding operant conditioning would be of interest to you. A check cord is difficult to use at 200 yards as well, so is a barrel, and a pinch collar, and a Buddy Stick, and, and, and...You still aren't understanding the application in training a pointing dog. It is a behavior shaping tool used in early and critical stages to get behaviors with positive reinforcement rather than compulsion
The facts surrounding operant conditioning are interesting to me. I think I do understand the application in a pointing dog. I have read the material posted here and elsewhere. I like shaping behavior with training methods that are "positive"/pleasant/warm fuzzy things. Because I disagree with the necessity of the clicker, does not mean I do not understand the concepts. A dog dragging a check cord at 200 yards can be conditioned to believe it will turn him if I need to hit the whistle more than once. So, it will work better in that regard than a clicker as will an ecollar. I am certain you have trained enough to know that once the dog is really collar conditioned, when they believe you can and will touch them with it at any distance, you don't even need to turn it on most of the time. Look, I don't disagree with the methodology or the theories behind it. In fact, I use a very similar method (based on the same pysch priniciples clicker training is based on) to reintroduce gunfire quickly and effectively to gunshy dogs. I am just suggesting that, given enough practice, it can be done just as effectively without the clicker. To each his own I say. You click, I'll cluck.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am

I do not understand the emotional reaction to the clicker, pro and con - you folks are investing a lot in a simple tool. If someone proved using a tuba worked, I would take music leasons.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun May 19, 2013 9:34 am

Neil wrote:I do not understand the emotional reaction to the clicker, pro and con - you folks are investing a lot in a simple tool. If someone proved using a tuba worked, I would take music leasons.

Sometime we agree sometimes we don't, on this I agree 100%. I'll never understand the need some have to "correct" other folks as if there is only one way to train dogs...
roaniecowpony wrote:Just my 2 cents on saying the word "yes" in place of the clicker, but I believe your voice carries baggage no matter how encouraging you try to make it sound. Snapping your fingers would be a better alternative IMO.
Maybe, I would say slight voice variations would be no more detrimental than being caught without your clicker.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 am

ACooper wrote:
Neil wrote:I do not understand the emotional reaction to the clicker, pro and con - you folks are investing a lot in a simple tool. If someone proved using a tuba worked, I would take music leasons.

Sometime we agree sometimes we don't, on this I agree 100%. I'll never understand the need some have to "correct" other folks as if there is only one way to train dogs...
roaniecowpony wrote:Just my 2 cents on saying the word "yes" in place of the clicker, but I believe your voice carries baggage no matter how encouraging you try to make it sound. Snapping your fingers would be a better alternative IMO.
Maybe, I would say slight voice variations would be no more detrimental than being caught without your clicker.

I think there's been some poo-pooing of the clicker by some here and it's just been a defensive reaction. ...and for the record, the clicker is used for low stress yard work with the dog. For field work, the threads discussing e-collars tie into the clicker program by introducing the "marking" or "notification" into the correction with the collar.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Mine is not an emotional reaction. I am simply discussing a training tool that I choose not to use in much the same way I would debate the qualities of nylon vs leather collars. Follow along and hopefully I can explain why I am still chewing the fat on this one.
roaniecowpony wrote:You can't be consistent with a tool (your voice) that gets used for many functions. The average dog is exposed to your voice in many different ways, even when you aren't addressing the dog.
This is the assertion I disagree with, not the clicker method. Of course my dogs hear my voice all the time. They also know the shotgun is always sitting by the back door. However, their attitude changes when I pick the scattergun up and drop a shell in the chamber. The same thing happens with my voice. When I interact with my dogs, my voice changes just as the shotgun changes when I pick it up and load it. I do understand that the clicker can help "eliminate the noise" coming from voice. But, tone of voice is only one of the ways, and the least effective imo, we communicate with our dogs. Body language is much more important, again imo. Specific words are completely irrelevant. If a dog trainer understands how dogs interprete all of our communication and is truly self-aware it is much easier to send a complete and coherent message to the dog. I not only change my voice tone, I change my posture when I am disciplining my dogs. I may even change my position relative to the dog. Same for praise. I would go so far as to assert that I could clicker-train a dog thoroughly and, in one lesson, change enough of my other methods of communication to confuse the dog. So, what this means to me is that understanding how communication takes place between human and canine is much more important than the tool used to communicate. And so it is that I agree with Ezzy,
ezzy333 wrote:In other words just be consistent.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 pm

polmaise wrote:How do you stop the dog from chasing rabbits with a clicker?..or Clicker programme?
Robt., welcome, mate; just don't come in with any great expectations - this
DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I don't care what anyone says or how you train with the e-collar, the dog knows the difference and behaves differently without it. For better or for worse.
tells all you need to know as to how the e-collar is used by 99% here, and the "results" they get. Or they might advise turning to Pappy Milner for kinder, gentler training - sad thing is, seem to recall the chap whose omniscience of the e-collar is getting himself a Boykin, and - whether it's with the clicker or e-collar - there seems to be some wrongheaded retriever or retrieving spaniel training ahead...

MG

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun May 19, 2013 2:41 pm

whoadog wrote:
Mine is not an emotional reaction. I am simply discussing a training tool that I choose not to use in much the same way I would debate the qualities of nylon vs leather collars. Follow along and hopefully I can explain why I am still chewing the fat on this one.
roaniecowpony wrote:You can't be consistent with a tool (your voice) that gets used for many functions. The average dog is exposed to your voice in many different ways, even when you aren't addressing the dog.
This is the assertion I disagree with, not the clicker method. Of course my dogs hear my voice all the time. They also know the shotgun is always sitting by the back door. However, their attitude changes when I pick the scattergun up and drop a shell in the chamber. The same thing happens with my voice. When I interact with my dogs, my voice changes just as the shotgun changes when I pick it up and load it. I do understand that the clicker can help "eliminate the noise" coming from voice. But, tone of voice is only one of the ways, and the least effective imo, we communicate with our dogs. Body language is much more important, again imo. Specific words are completely irrelevant. If a dog trainer understands how dogs interprete all of our communication and is truly self-aware it is much easier to send a complete and coherent message to the dog. I not only change my voice tone, I change my posture when I am disciplining my dogs. I may even change my position relative to the dog. Same for praise. I would go so far as to assert that I could clicker-train a dog thoroughly and, in one lesson, change enough of my other methods of communication to confuse the dog. So, what this means to me is that understanding how communication takes place between human and canine is much more important than the tool used to communicate. And so it is that I agree with Ezzy,
ezzy333 wrote:In other words just be consistent.

:D Whoadog, I'm ok with you disagreeing.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun May 19, 2013 3:16 pm

MG, I guess I could train a male Boykin without an e-collar, but it would be hard on both of us. And I am not sure I would fully develop him. I do know they respond to the clicker/treat program, but not so well to hands on correction,.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun May 19, 2013 3:27 pm

Neil, male or female, training a Boykin with indirect pressure - as retriever trainers use, as Mike Lardy advocates, as has been de rigueur in retrievers for 20 years - makes it a lot less "hands' on" for working with and possibly cowing a spaniel, not to mention far more effective than using the collar in a punitive way. It's a proactive, not reactive approach as you hear hereabouts from them who say their dog does or doesn't "need the e-collar," and softer dogs, especially spaniels, will thrive within such a system.

MG

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm

when chewing the fat should you choose a contrary position; wouldn't it be prudent to have tried both sides of the argument if you are engaged with people who have?
If you think either a nylon or leather collar works better I assume you have tried both.
A clicker is not necessary in the training of a gun dog but it is a tool supported by credible animal behaviorists. use it or don't who cares but most importantly be the guy that argues about something you have never tried

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Wow that makes training a lot more complicated. Awful lot of different terms to complicate how to train a dog lol
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm

crackerd wrote:Neil, male or female, training a Boykin with indirect pressure - as retriever trainers use, as Mike Lardy advocates, as has been de rigueur in retrievers for 20 years - makes it a lot less "hands' on" for working with and possibly cowing a spaniel, not to mention far more effective than using the collar in a punitive way. It's a proactive, not reactive approach as you hear hereabouts from them who say their dog does or doesn't "need the e-collar," and softer dogs, especially spaniels, will thrive within such a system.

MG
We can save the differences between male and female Boylins for another thread, but you are absolutely right, male or female they all benefit from the system.

Neil

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun May 19, 2013 9:25 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Wow that makes training a lot more complicated. Awful lot of different terms to complicate how to train a dog lol
If you see the simplicity of it in action and the results on puppies so young you'd never pressure, I think your view will change.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 am

Chukar12 wrote:use it or don't who cares but most importantly be the guy that argues about something you have never tried
(whoadog heaves a heavy sigh)
I used to be so certain my written communication was better than it must actually be. I am not arguing, nor have I ever argued, something I have never tried, that being the effectiveness of the clicker as a training tool. I am arguing that voice is not always full of baggage. If I believe my messages are clearly understood by my dogs, and I do, then I do not need to try something designed to make my messages clearer (whether I actually have or not is immaterial). I will say that I use a training method very similar to clicker for certain dogs in certain situations. However, returning full circle to the original post I am in the camp that, for me, clicker training is most often an unnecessary step in training.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 am

There is some research out there better cited than this article, but this is a start. Not enough time right now to further search.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/72

I will add though that voice has a place also. One does not rule out the other but voice can support or degrade the training depending on its use. I often encourage a dog who is struggling with a verbal "good". It is not a click but often gives them confidence to try that behavior more effectively and get back on track towards the "click" This can be distracting and unhelpful or be just the confidence building assist needed. You still have to read the dog and work as a team.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

whoadog wrote:
Chukar12 wrote:use it or don't who cares but most importantly be the guy that argues about something you have never tried
(whoadog heaves a heavy sigh)
I used to be so certain my written communication was better than it must actually be. I am not arguing, nor have I ever argued, something I have never tried, that being the effectiveness of the clicker as a training tool. I am arguing that voice is not always full of baggage. If I believe my messages are clearly understood by my dogs, and I do, then I do not need to try something designed to make my messages clearer (whether I actually have or not is immaterial). I will say that I use a training method very similar to clicker for certain dogs in certain situations. However, returning full circle to the original post I am in the camp that, for me, clicker training is most often an unnecessary step in training.
Whoadog,
No offense, truly, but by your comments, it's pretty clear you have a misunderstanding of when and how a clicker is used.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon May 20, 2013 7:49 pm

crackerd wrote:
polmaise wrote:How do you stop the dog from chasing rabbits with a clicker?..or Clicker programme?
I had originally planned to not answer this "gotcha" question. Apparently you didn't read the part about making a transition to the electronic collar for avoidance training. The obvious answer to this question is to not let the dog develop a habit or encourage a behavior that you do not want. A healthy dose of birds during the imprinting stage of development in a pup will normally extinguish the desire to chase other game, or at least not encourage it. I personally don't allow my bird dogs to chase or hunt rabbits, squirrels, skunks, cats, deer or any other such hairy critters. Some people do, and that's their prerogative.

As for a solution to rabbit chasing. I would suggests correction with e-collar stimulation during the time of the infraction. If you chose not to use an e-collar you might try this method. Put the dog in a metal trash can with a dead rabbit. Cover the can with a lid, and secure it. With the trash can on its side and the dog and rabbit inside proceed to roll it around for a few minutes. Note: When you let the dog out of the can don't expect to get him back in, however, this should cure him from pursuing rabbits. Is that the answer you were expecting?

Robt., welcome, mate; just don't come in with any great expectations - this
DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:I don't care what anyone says or how you train with the e-collar, the dog knows the difference and behaves differently without it. For better or for worse.
tells all you need to know as to how the e-collar is used by 99% here, and the "results" they get. Or they might advise turning to Pappy Milner for kinder, gentler training - sad thing is, seem to recall the chap whose omniscience of the e-collar is getting himself a Boykin, and - whether it's with the clicker or e-collar - there seems to be some wrongheaded retriever or retrieving spaniel training ahead...

MG
This sounds an awful lot like a personal attack. Surely you expected a rebuttal, so here it is. First of all, I agree with you in a sense that proper e-collar introduction and use begins at a very young age with a pup. The pup should wear the collar without any stimulation to help avoid a negative association with it. Consistency in a program that utilizes very low level stimulation is imperative to prevent apprehension and other problems associated with the e-collar. But that's where our agreement seems to end.

Every dog that is trained with the e-collar realizes at some point that the collar is on its neck, back or flank. They also learn how to turn stimulation off, and eventually learn to acknowledge any given cue with a conditioned response. With proper use, the e-collar is a good training tool, but its nothing more than a tool. Just as the clicker, check cord, launchers, boards, barrels and others are tools. Keep in mind that the electronic collar is a relatively new tool in the greater scope of things, and its only within the past 20 years or so that they've been commonly used. Over dependence of any one piece of equipment would be a foolish move on the part of any trainer.

Being open minded to the possibilities and options of operant conditioning as it relates to gun dog training, is far from wrongheaded in my opinion. Unfortunately, but apparently only to you and the rest of the 1%, I'm just part of the 99% that do it all the wrong way.

Nate

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 pm

He is just talking in his usual riddle filled tone about how advanced retrieverites are with e-collars and indirect pressure I imagine.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 am

winchey, does that mean you want to explain indirect pressure to the other 98%ers - or do you have a better way of training you'd care to propound on? Is that riddle-filled tone enough for you?

dbg, continuous stimulation is a birddog thing, the e-collar as a "relatively new tool" 20 years ago is where the 98%ers are still living. I.e., the dark ages of collar training. No personal attack just fact.

Fastest way to create a blinker - in any gundog or pointing breed - is applying stimulation when a dog's in the act of doing what it was born to do, pursuing game. Blinking is ignoring game afield out of "apprehension" of the e-collar - is this clear enough, winchey? Flushing or pointing, use the e-collar at your peril when the dog breaks on a point or chases after a flush. Blinking - worst offence a gundog can commit - and rest assured you'll help "commission" it trying to correct with the e-collar even a split-second after the dog has shown its intent (broke or chased). Again, enough clarity for you, winchey - that's what's known as direct pressure. Zap! - maybe you'd want to call this disoperant conditioning. And as those "advanced retrieverites" say, You can always take something out of the dog, you can almost never put it back in them....

Robt., don't say you weren't forewarned (and not by me but your own "kith and kin"):
As for a solution to rabbit chasing. I would suggests correction with e-collar stimulation during the time of the infraction. If you chose not to use an e-collar you might try this method. Put the dog in a metal trash can with a dead rabbit. Cover the can with a lid, and secure it. With the trash can on its side and the dog and rabbit inside proceed to roll it around for a few minutes. Note: When you let the dog out of the can don't expect to get him back in, however, this should cure him from pursuing rabbits. Is that the answer you were expecting?
Operant conditioning - on spin-cycle -at its greatest. You'll need to get some of these bins for your rabbit pens over there - three-gallon size should be big enough for the cockers - to go along with your e-collars :wink:

MG

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 am

That was pretty clear. I didn't have to reread any of it to figure out wjat the heck you were talking about.

As for indirect pressure, I am not quite out of the dark ages and hardly use it, other than when doing some basic retriever stuff.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 am

MG, I have been thinking about indirect pressure in relation to pointing dogs. When a dog takes out a bird or goes with one I do whoa, nick whoa. Is that indirect pressure? And direct pressure would continuous stim until the dog stops? Other than this, that is if I am even correct in mynabove definitions I don't really see a lot of other uses. The behaviours aren't as complex, there is little chaining involved. I don't really pattern a dog. Pretty much everything is an objective where I hunt so I let the birds pattern. The only other use of indirect pressure would be come. But that is one of the most basic commands. If the dog is out there and won't come, you don't have much choice but to use direct pressure, or do nothing. If the dog was close and didn't come I have and do use whoa, nick, whoa, then come, if that is correct.

If you care to provide a good response I would appreciate it. You can write it in whatever tone you prefer, I will work it out lol.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm

This thread has gone on for a while and after reading the responses I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people seem to be confusing the clicker as some form of replacement for correction. While I believe that some dogs will be trainable without the use of correction most will need to be reinforced with correction. The important thing to remember is that all training relies on the motivation of the dog. If the dog is well bred , it will be bird crazy. The stronger willed the dog is and the more bird drive it has the more correction it will be willing to take to get to the bird. I believe clicker training a dog for behaviors that are expected to be reinforced in the field will help to reduce the need for pressure on the dog , but given enough drive the dog will need the threat of correction to avoid , to stay in line. Higgens has put up several videos of training dogs for behaviors without using any correction , just using the dogs nature to get the desired result. While this is great for training the field end of the dog it will not stop them from running across a road like a well trained whoa reinforced with an e-collar. Understanding how they all can benefit a trainer is what I find most interesting.

Wendy M

Post by Wendy M » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:20 am

polmaise wrote:
DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Nearly everyone reading this has heard about clicker training. Some have successfully experienced good results, and some have decided that it's just an extra step in training. Others think it's hogwash, and it has no place in gun dog training. This post isn't to convince you to start clicker training, but to clear up some of the misconceptions of a very misunderstood training tool. I apologize for the choppiness and repetition. I chose to break this down into a Q&A format, so that it can be easily picked apart for discussion.

What is a clicker?

A clicker is a simple box type device with a button, when pushed it makes a "clicking" sound. There are many shapes and sizes, but they essentially all work the same as a reinforcement.
Like a Rabbit?

What is a reinforcer?

A reinforcer is something that when presented following a behavior increases the likelihood of repeat behavior in the future. To be a reinforcer it needs to be perceived as something positive to the recipient. I you use a primary reinforcer (anything the dog inherently likes such as food, social contact, play or visual stimuli), paired with a secondary reinforcer (such as a click), a positive reinforcement and association will occur. We then use this positive association to reinforce desired behaviors, which can then be cued by a command. Any audible or visual signal can be a cue to the dog.
Like a Rabbit?

Why is a clicker different from other reinforcements?

The clicker is very consistent, and timeable. You could substitute the sound of the clicker with your voice or snapping your fingers, but the consistency and timing could never be compared. Your voice carries baggage whether you realize it or not. Also, the tendency to repeat a cue or talk to the dog, is virtually eliminated with clicker work.
Like a Rabbit?

On what principal does positive reinforcement "clicker" training work?

The is more of a general question, but it's important to understand. Positive reinforcement training works because your dog is far more motivated to please itself than it is to please you. If the dog anticipates a reward for a behavior, it is more motivated to exhibit that desired behavior than if it were forced to do it. That said, there must be a balance to reward for compliance and an understanding of how to avoid pressure. Just keep in mind that you can't build style in a dog with pressure. That's why I feel it's best to build style with the clicker, teaching and shaping the behavior first. When the behavior is in place and the cue is beginning to generate a conditioned response, you know the dog can handle and learn to avoid pressure.
Like a Rabbit?

How do I make the avoidance transition?

Making a transition to avoidance training is quite simple when the dog already fully understands the cue. By avoidance training I'm referring to teaching the dog to turn off, and avoid stimulation with the e-collar. Once you've established the lowest stimulation level the dog will respond to, you can begin to bridge the e-collar and the clicker. I use a training method called pre-cue / cue. This simply means the new thing before the learned thing. If you were to teach this kennel command with the clicker, you would first lure the dog to the kennel and click and treat every baby step of the way. Once the dog is enthusiastically entering the kennel, and gets rewarded every time he goes in then you generalize the command. Turn the kennel 90 degrees, stand further away from it, place it in various locations, etc... This is all done in very small steps that the dog can understand, and over the span of several months. (I don't do any e-collar work before the pup is at least 5 months old, but begin shaping behaviors with the clicker at 8 weeks. I also try to have introductory field work (birds and guns) completed by the age of 5 months. Begin with the dog on a check cord, and the e-collar receiver on the neck. (The dog should already be familiar with both the check cord and wearing the collar on his neck.) Give the dog the cue kennel and each time he goes in, click and treat. Set your pre-determined e-collar level. Stimulate and say kennel, when he goes in click and treat. When he's consistently going in on the stimulation before you say the cue, stimulate without the cue, and click and treat. At this point I give the cue and follow it with the stimulation, never again giving the dog stimulation before the cue for this command. Generalize the command and continue to click and treat when the dog goes in the kennel to keep him upbeat. With enough consistent repetitions you can eliminate the stimulation and the clicker. A conditioned response to the cue will eventually be made. Keep in mind that this doesn't happen right away, but over an extended period of time and with generalization to the command. Teaching the behavior with the clicker before teaching avoidance will result in a shorter learning curb, less pressure and less frequency of stimulation.
LIKE When it chases a Rabbit?

Nate
How do you stop the dog from chasing rabbits with a clicker?..or Clicker programme?
Ok, here's a bash at the question!......

Obviously a clicker in itself is not going to “stop” any behaviour but through a process of marking and rewarding desirable behaviours the desirable behaviours become more likely and the undesirable less likely….

With my lab I have not really done any ‘specific’ training for ignoring live running rabbits or running/flying birds – most of this was achieved as a ‘by product’ of our early and continued training environment.

I have never told her ‘not’ to chase live game – I have given her rewardable things to do in the presence of live game.

Early work on recall, heeling and sitting was carried out within a game scented environment (pheasant and rabbit). For the next stage in our training, I moved to a field of which the top end was about 50 yards from a pheasant pen of 2000 birds, this area also had an abundant population of rabbits. I would start by walking the field myself to clear it of pheasants prior to bringing my pup in, where we would work on positively training heeling, sitting, recall, etc. and a bit later direction work. Although the actual field and ‘training space’ was clear of pheasants and rabbits, they were all around, (the scent of them, the sound of them and the sight of them moving on the steep banks at the side of the small field.)

Later I would only clear a bit of a space in the field, so that the pheasants were a bit closer to ‘our space’ and so on and so forth….so the up-shot is that I am able to sit her up in a pen of poults – without an issue, I can throw a dummy into a group of older pheasants and she will run through putting up the pheasants and retrieve the dummy without an issue.

So basically I treated live game as a distraction against other behaviours I wanted to see and desensitised her to their presence by gradually exposing her to their closer presence and movement.

The reinforcement history that you build up – where the reward for doing other stuff in the presence of rabbits/other live game rabbits becomes 'accumulated' and becomes far more than just a piece of cheese or hotdog or whatever.

This is one way to use a ‘positive’ or clicker style programme to work in terms of “stopping a dog chasing rabbits”

So... I can see what Polmaise is getting at...Using the high value reward, such as the ‘rabbit’ to reinforce the behaviours that you want. Teaching the dog ‘how’ to get the rabbit. i.e. sit, and wait to be sent to retrieve the ‘rabbit’, from the outset means that the ‘reinforcement history’ that is built up is the correct one. Any attempts to self reward on the ‘rabbit’ in terms of a chase will be less likely to end with the reinforcement of the rabbit (this will have to be set up carefully so that you know that the chase in unlikely to end with a ‘catch’) and so any chasing behaviour should quickly diminish in favour of the behaviours that have proven a reliable way of getting the rabbit. i.e. the ones you want.

Wendy

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I can appreciate where you're coming from, but I see this behavior less as desensitizing or extinguishing than one of non interest. I'm not sure that a lack of interest (whether it be real or perceived) in birds is what most people want to develop in a bird dog.

Example: I have a 7 year old ESS that is bird crazy, and always has been. She has never shown any interest in rabbits, cats or any other fur bearer. This was by my choosing. I have absolutely no interest in my dogs having any encounters with a porkies, skunks, coons or anything other than game birds. I attain this goal by giving my pups a generous dose of birds from the age of 8 weeks if not sooner. I recently tested this particular dog by taking her to a snake avoidance clinic. The clinic included bringing the dog into contact with 2 Diamondback rattlesnakes. When she was led in with a check cord she acted as though she didn't even see the first snake. When she was led within 3 feet of the snake it struck, and she was given an unpleasant shock with an e-collar. One repetition was quite enough for her. She gave the second snake a wide berth. I'm convinced that if she had not received the ample amount of birds that she had early on, her curiosity with snakes would be much different. Her mind is focused very much on game birds. Even song birds have no meaningful significance to her.

I however, do appreciate your support and contribution to debunking the redundant ridiculous rabbit rebuttal. I find it interesting that anyone can equate click and treat with some type of correction. Even after a definition that can only point to the contrary.

Nate

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

Wendy M wrote:
So... I can see what Polmaise is getting at...Using the high value reward, such as the ‘rabbit’ to reinforce the behaviours that you want. Teaching the dog ‘how’ to get the rabbit. i.e. sit, and wait to be sent to retrieve the ‘rabbit’, from the outset means that the ‘reinforcement history’ that is built up is the correct one. Any attempts to self reward on the ‘rabbit’ in terms of a chase will be less likely to end with the reinforcement of the rabbit (this will have to be set up carefully so that you know that the chase in unlikely to end with a ‘catch’) and so any chasing behaviour should quickly diminish in favour of the behaviours that have proven a reliable way of getting the rabbit. i.e. the ones you want.

Wendy
Box Training might do it Wendy?....But I've yet to see one steady to a flush on Rabbits with a clicker programme. :wink:

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 am

Robt., heaven forefend, is this Our Wendy, the champeen of indirect pressure users and wayward keepers' dogs everywhere? :mrgreen:

(Just joshin' you, Wendy...)

MG
polmaise wrote:
Wendy M wrote:

Wendy
Box Training might do it Wendy?....But I've yet to see one steady to a flush on Rabbits with a clicker programme. :wink:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Double Barrel wrote : First of all, I agree with you in a sense that proper e-collar introduction and use begins at a very young age with a pup. The pup should wear the collar without any stimulation to help avoid a negative association with it. Consistency in a program that utilizes very low level stimulation is imperative to prevent apprehension and other problems associated with the e-collar. But that's where our agreement seems to end.

Every dog that is trained with the e-collar realizes at some point that the collar is on its neck, back or flank. They also learn how to turn stimulation off, and eventually learn to acknowledge any given cue with a conditioned response. With proper use, the e-collar is a good training tool, but its nothing more than a tool. Just as the clicker, check cord, launchers, boards, barrels and others are tools. Keep in mind that the electronic collar is a relatively new tool in the greater scope of things, and its only within the past 20 years or so that they've been commonly used. Over dependence of any one piece of equipment would be a foolish move on the part of any trainer.

Being open minded to the possibilities and options of operant conditioning as it relates to gun dog training, is far from wrongheaded in my opinion. Unfortunately, but apparently only to you and the rest of the 1%, I'm just part of the 99% that do it all the wrong way.

Nate
DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Phewww! where do you start?...
This operantly conditioned predator got the hang of it without tools just shortly after sucking on the teat.

Collar Conditioning -? - and the dog you reckon knows the difference when the collar is on or off?...Maybe the conditioning has not been done!? ..anyhow- any collar training is done ''after the dog already knows what to do" :lol: ....I admit failure as a trainer through numerous attempts to 'Be the First'!!! to authentically prove that 100% positive training with a clicker programme will stop one of these 'hunting dogs' will stop to a flushed rabbit whilst hunting.? :twisted: ..Have a look at this one 'Crackerd' ?
There is a bit of 'No action', but I just left the camera rolling for 'fun'!- Like all things in training!!?? the timing has to be right!(imo) This clip is a day with the 'Infamous' Wullie/aka Trekmoor' and he had his noisy yelping Vizsla in the background (Which can be a by-product of the Box training BTW -Wendy M!..that's why I said 'maybe'?),anyhow...In 'training' it is imperative the timing is right no matter the tool' (Double barrel)? :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4yUNY25dk

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

polmaise,

I still suspect that you misunderstand the concepts of clicker training, but our understanding of training concepts may not be as vastly different as you and I may think. I believe that the desired behavior from a dog should be achieved before any correction should ever be made. I do this with something I call "show pups". Once the dog displays the behavior reliably and with consistency it can then be corrected for non compliance. Similarly a behavior can be established with click and treat whereas perfection and total compliance can later be established with use of the e-collar. Does one need the clicker or an e-collar to train a dog to reap a desired result? Of course not. These are simply tools that can be used to aid the trainer in the process, and can provide a more consistent means of communication with the dog.

Nate

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:polmaise,

I still suspect that you misunderstand the concepts of clicker training,
Nate
Luvin it! :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Guys -

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but there was an inaccuracy offered regarding e-collar use. It was stated that using e-collar stim to stop a dog from chasing after a flushed bird will result in blinking.

Like everything else...that depends.

If the dog has been thoroughly schooled on whoa as an obedience command in the yard and the whoa command has been properly extended in the field and ultimately to birds, then breaking and chasing has less to do with birds and it has much more to do with disobeying a known command. That is an obedience issue, plain and simple and requires a correction. I have seen the very best shooting dog trainers in the business do just exactly that.

If you do not do the groundwork and overlay work, but just light the dog up when it is in full chase of a flushed bird, you betcha you are asking for trouble.

I am not going to venture an opinion or comment on negative stimulus or positive reinforcement or argue the merits of clicker or any other type training. You folks are doing great with that.

i gotta say the folks in the dark ages are waaaay beyond me. My wife says I am a dinosaur She is never wrong. So I guess I'll just sit here in the mouth of the cave by the fire that keeps the sabre tooths out, chip me a couple new spearpoints and oil up my atlatl. :lol: :lol:

Carry on.

RayG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Like everything else...that depends.

If the dog has been thoroughly schooled on whoa as an obedience command in the yard and the whoa command has been properly extended in the field and ultimately to birds, then breaking and chasing has less to do with birds and it has much more to do with disobeying a known command. That is an obedience issue, plain and simple and requires a correction. I have seen the very best shooting dog trainers in the business do just exactly that.
Exactly!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way