Tie outs/Stake outs

Bberry20

Tie outs/Stake outs

Post by Bberry20 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Wanted to get everyones opinion on what they use for stake outs/tie outs/ etc.. I am looking to get a few for my growing dog collection and would like your thoughts.

Thanks!

roaniecowpony

Re: Tie outs/Stake outs

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

For putting your dog out at your hunt camp, training seminars, etc.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I purchased a couple of stakes with swivel tops and run a chain gang between them for my five dogs; or with only a dog or two I can use those stakes w/o the chain between them.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm

A note of caution with a chain gang or stakeout.

Use enough stake/anchor. A bird or something loose in camp can cause dogs on a stakeout to lunge and potentially pull a chain gang up. It is not hard to imagine the plethora of injuries that you can create with 5-10 or 15 dogs attached via chain running loose.

With single stake outs, a dog that pulls one out can be attached to a weapon while running. I do not know of dog injuries this way but there is potential. However, I know of horses and people hurt when the stake out was the type that did not slip over the stake with an O -Ring but was attached to an eye. The horses will pull them up and panic as they hit their legs and "follow" them. A horse whipping a stake on a line is dangerous.

We use them all the time, but do not be cavalier about it.

FWIW,

Joe

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Chukar12 wrote:A note of caution with a chain gang or stakeout.

Use enough stake/anchor. A bird or something loose in camp can cause dogs on a stakeout to lunge and potentially pull a chain gang up. It is not hard to imagine the plethora of injuries that you can create with 5-10 or 15 dogs attached via chain running loose.

With single stake outs, a dog that pulls one out can be attached to a weapon while running. I do not know of dog injuries this way but there is potential. However, I know of horses and people hurt when the stake out was the type that did not slip over the stake with an O -Ring but was attached to an eye. The horses will pull them up and panic as they hit their legs and "follow" them. A horse whipping a stake on a line is dangerous.

We use them all the time, but do not be cavalier about it.

FWIW,

Joe

Saw a horse roll on a stake out where the stake did not have a large wheel head. Punctured his groin. Expensive trip to the vet. Had the uprooted stake out with 4 dogs once. It was a "movie" getting them under control and untangled. Only took me once to learn.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 pm

When we'd picket horses, we'd either find a large tree on each end of the picket line or two vehicles. We never left a picket line un monitored. Some of our rides were upwards of 100 horses on a picket or several pickets. Someone was up all night on the picket line.

I don't have any experience with a "chain gang", but it sounds like a ground stretched dog picket line to me. I have two large stakes which I use for my 2 dogs on occasion.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm

When not training, I put the chain gang up. And go with the LCS stake out. You can put the dogs in the shade. I have never had a dog pull one out.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Neil wrote:When not training, I put the chain gang up. And go with the LCS stake out. You can put the dogs in the shade. I have never had a dog pull one out.
I second the lcs stake out, and add the tbi stake out from gundog supply. Have both and both are great.

I'd suggest staying away from the old saucer top stake outs and anything for that matter that needs a hammer or truck and winch to pull out :wink: . Real pain when rocks are around.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Neil wrote:When not training, I put the chain gang up. And go with the LCS stake out. You can put the dogs in the shade. I have never had a dog pull one out.
+1 I build my own, but not sure that I'm saving any money doing so.

Nate

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 am

thanks,

i was looking at these......

http://www.gundogsupply.com/tbibproststo.html

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Better-Stak ... tinfo/BSO/

Im looking for more of when we go to a trial i can put them out.... when we go camping i can put them at camp without them running off..... when we go to train i can put them out and train one at a time....

Thanks for the info!

If anyone has anywhere else to look for these i would like to check them out.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu May 16, 2013 5:22 am

I use a stake out chain now. Because when I was at a trail last year I had a shorthair and pointer pull a chain gang out of the ground and get tangled up in the chain. I use the stakes your looking at.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu May 16, 2013 8:10 am

I had a dog that would consistently pull 24 and 30 inch stakes out of the ground. He did it like it was his job. He would jump and jump, vertically, and eventually the stake would come out and he would join us in the field. It was embarrasing and it sucked carrying that stake and chain around.

I solved the problem by replacing the 24" length of chain with a 3 1/2 ft. length. Even Beau couldn't jump that high, straight up...although he sure tried. He did screw me over one time because I located the stake close to my truck. so he would have some shade. When we got back to the truck(with Beau) I discovered he had been using the side of the truck as a springboard to get more height. There were claw marks all the way up to the windows and the moulding at the bottom of the window was destroyed. Apparently that lip of moulding was what gave him the purchase he needed to pull the stake out of the ground. Expensive lesson. Funny now, but not then.

RayG

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 am

I like the LCS better stake outs. However, I ended up buying a SS chain gang years ago and reay like it.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

My husband works in construction and has made several out of whatever scrap material he picks up. No two are exactly alike but they are similar to those sold by LCS. I have one dog that jumps straight up and has pulled them out like RayG described so he gets a longer chain. I will have to remember not to put him anywhere near a vehicle...