COST OF TRAINING??

birddog98

COST OF TRAINING??

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I know there are alot of factors that play into this so....with that being said if I had a setter 2 years old and wanted her finished steady to wing and shot force fetch to retrieve, whoa broke, honors etc..I guess you can say the works....what should one think the total bill to train a setter to do this in general...I know all are different and at their on pace....just trying to figure if I am paying way to money or not enough!! Thanks!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: COST OF TRAINING??

Post by RoostersMom » Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Two or three months at a trainer is what I'm thinking - maybe two would be enough. $700 per month. I think you could get it done for $1,400. Depending on the trainer, you might even get it done in 6 weeks, but if you're doing FF separately than SW&S, then you'd have at least 2 months.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:21 pm

So far it has been 5 months...And now they want to take her to summer camp for additional $$$ and be back late Sept!! From A well know trainer but will not say the name or make comments about this person!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 pm

If you are going to trial that dog then a trainer will take it slow to keep style, etc.

A dog can be broke in a couple of months, but don't expect any style or run. They're really not broke, they just have the chase taken out of them.

I would bet your trainer has a big picture in mind. You should ask him. The praries does wonders for a green broke dog.

Doug

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:40 pm

I wanted to run trials...Etc....He already told me she would not be able to keep up with the other dogs just make a excellent bird dog! He also stated that she would be ok for maybe AKC Hunt Test!!

I have had setters and trained myself and thinking I may have made a mistake now having one trained or not doing enough research!.....I have had old style setter pups pointing and holding woodcock and grouse from 5 to 6 months!!... I guess it is what is!

Im not sure if i want to pay another 2000.00 until Sept!!

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:If you are going to trial that dog then a trainer will take it slow to keep style, etc.

A dog can be broke in a couple of months, but don't expect any style or run. They're really not broke, they just have the chase taken out of them.

I would bet your trainer has a big picture in mind. You should ask him. The praries does wonders for a green broke dog.

Doug
You should run for congress!

Go look at the dog, you should be able to tell if the dog has been worked if not take the dog back, pretty simple. If you are happy with what he has done then keep the dog in training. If this guy is a well know "PRO" then he has a string of trial dogs that are going North with him as well, what dogs do you think are going to get worked?

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Sounds to me like he's already washed her out. If he's got her broke then you've got your money's worth already. Sending her to the praries is still a good idea. Especially if you can go for a little while and experience it. You will be amazed. It's something all bird dog people should do. Horseback on the praries is awesome!

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Well the thing is Im on one side of the Untied States and He is on the other!!...First mistake maybe!! The dog already has been to one summer camp as pup 9 months or so!! Also I am the one that always has to make contact to see the progress or ask about it!! A few pics here and there but not much said!...So I guess a bummer on my part!! Shame a great pedigree I wanted, color etc!! I guess we learn!!

I do think if you are paying someone that they should at least make contact with you once or every two weeks to let you know how your dog is doing ,instead of me askinfg everytime or making me make the call!!

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Im sure horseback is great! But where I live they do not do that! Its more for Ruff Grouse and Woodcock Hunting!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri May 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Sounds like you need to get your dog back!

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Sounds like you need to get your dog back!

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the help!! I dont mind paying top dollar!! I wanted her to be as perfect as can be to do AKC Hunt Test! I just dont even have a clue if he has even shot birds for her..Yes I have seen pics of her on point but never a bird in her mouth or retrieving etc!!

I am no expert by no means is why I was asking!.....I just want a setter to be the best that a setter could be etc!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Just a thought -

I currently have a youngster with the #4 ranked shooting dog handler in the nation. Cost per month is about half what was quoted. My pup was 14 months old when given to the trainer on May1. When I get her back on Sept 1, or thereabouts, I have every confidence that the dog will be dead broke, have a forward patern and handle like it is on a string...because that is how all of this trainer's dogs are.

I don't know where you are, but if you are, but if you are anywhere near the mid Atlantic states, there area boatload of really, really good trainers here.

RayG

By the way, if a trainer can't get a dog steady to wing and shot done in three months... do not walk away...RUN.

FF may take another month, but on that I would defer to those who know more about force fetching.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri May 17, 2013 4:16 pm

cjuve wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:If you are going to trial that dog then a trainer will take it slow to keep style, etc.
Doug
You should run for congress!

Go look at the dog, you should be able to tell if the dog has been worked if not take the dog back, pretty simple. If you are happy with what he has done then keep the dog in training. If this guy is a well know "PRO" then he has a string of trial dogs that are going North with him as well, what dogs do you think are going to get worked?
The trial dogs will be worked the most no doubt..

As far as a dog being broke in a few months, but not have style or run, and not really being broke.... Um wrooong;
You break a dog the right way is all it takes. When the dog is pointing a bird throw birds from your pouch into the air, guess what over a short time the dog will style up his head will be up on point in anticipation of the flying birds
For run umm just plant the birds farther and farther. Best way is to make a
U shape of birds planted far out. What the dog will learn with reps is that the birds are out there any way he goes as long as its forward he will find a bird. Really simple to break a dog in a few months and keep style and run/drive if done the proper way. And a broke dog is a broke dog. Steady wing shot fall, completely obedient, retrieves, finds game , honors, etc broke is broke.
Good luck birddog98 hope it all works out, get another trainer though..

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri May 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Your nuts thinking you can give a trainer a dog and 6 wks later be FF, steady and honoring to be hunt or test ready. Its no way even if he could the dog would have zero depth of any one learned task. FF on its own none right takes 6 wks from a pro sometimes 9wks. Besides every dog learns at its own pace. As far as $$ not sure what trainers get. We had a guy in are chapter keep tabs on what it cost him in training doing it his self to get trained up to the invitational level after passing a UT test. UT prz 1 dog is a pretty dam well trained dog just saying. Anyway he keep tabs on everything associtated with training birds, gas, hotels, travel and entery fees it ended up around $10,000 all in 1 year of traing. Now VC is dead broke dog honors to MH level 1 hr braces, retrieving is to MH retrieve standard, honor by water, double marks and 100yd blind retrieves from land cross water to land retieving dead ducks. I guess this is not equal comparsion. People tend to forget about bird cost, gas, and all the little things that go in to a fine bird dog trainers can work magic. You kinda need the same things no matter what game ur playing. Bird dogs need lots of birds. If a guy told me he could do all that in 6 wks i would run like heck. Having said that if you trust him and he says this is best for the dog do it. If ur afraid of cost you should not of gottin a bird dog they cost money whether you train them ur self or send to a pro. That is if you want a fine tuned end product. Good luck man

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 pm

Hattrick wrote: retrieving is to MH retrieve standard
IMO most Invitational level dogs have superior retrieving skills then alot of MH's.

campgsp wrote:For run umm just plant the birds farther and farther. Best way is to make aU shape of birds planted far out
Might you mean one of many ways?

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri May 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Cage agreeded retrieving and honoring is judged much stricker than AKC stystem. . Trying to make the point that in any venue you play in its no short cuts to a high level broke gundog. Someo e has to put the work in the owner or the pro.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 pm

I bought the setter out West .....Started of course this is where I may have went wrong believed the person....Agreed to finish the setter to my so called standards...kennel,load, force fetch etc steadt to wing and shot as I call it ...Honor...I wanted to run trials but then later after the dog was bought,I was told she will make just a good solid hunting dog...ok well maybe akc hunt test something I can do....Anyway Im going into 2800-3000 on this setter and rreally don't know a thing about it...So I will admit IM THE FOOL.....If i am the one who has to email everytime or try and facebook and when I do get a answer it is she is doing good????? Then we all know you cant rush a setter I understand that but bought as started and going on two years and Im not even sure if he has shot bird for her!!! Im the type to hate to be the one asking question when I feel like if Im paying someone a email at least once a month or something...Am I wrong there??

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm

birddog98 wrote:I wanted to run trials...Etc....He already told me she would not be able to keep up with the other dogs just make a excellent bird dog! He also stated that she would be ok for maybe AKC Hunt Test!!

I have had setters and trained myself and thinking I may have made a mistake now having one trained or not doing enough research!.....I have had old style setter pups pointing and holding woodcock and grouse from 5 to 6 months!!... I guess it is what is!

Im not sure if i want to pay another 2000.00 until Sept!!
It sounds like you've invested enough in this dog already to hopefully get what you wanted. If the dog is trained to your satisfaction at this point, pull him out. In the future I think you'd be better served finding a pro that will work with you closely, and show you the ropes or consider attending a good seminar and try to do it yourself. As an example: Ronnie Smith in Big Cabin, OK has a good 90 day program. I'm not sure exactly what he charges, buy I'll bet it's less than you've already paid for this dog over 5 months of training and counting. It sounds like your trainer is checking the depth of your pockets to me.

Nate

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I think I will not send her to summer camp again and know of a trainer in my state,,,The bad thing is if I said the trainers name on here I bet 98% of you know him or heard of him.....He came with high standards...Maybe other things on his mind!! Im sure just really let down...I was told the setter would be worked at least 4 days a week and i really just don't think that is happening...I don't want to call him a liar......But I do think the money I put when I see this dog I will be very upset and played the fool!! Like I said I have to learn from my mistake!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Have your pro send you a video of the dog pointing a bird, with him shooting the bird, the dog still standing after the fall, and then sent for the retrieve---then you'll know if he is getting anything done with your dog. If he doesn't want to---then your dog probably isn't even close and you probably won't get much more out of this pro. :cry: JMO

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri May 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Hattrick wrote:Cage agreeded retrieving and honoring is judged much stricker than AKC stystem. . Trying to make the point that in any venue you play in its no short cuts to a high level broke gundog. Someo e has to put the work in the owner or the pro.
retrieving, yes. honoring ' no

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Could be worse. I sent mine to an American trainer for FF. After 4 weeks he said that it had been too hot and he needed her for another 4 weeks. After 8 weeks I picked her up and she would hold a dowel. Not pick one up , not retrieve, just hold a dowel.

This was my first gun dog , very inexperienced , and I picked the trainer from the American Field mag.( State close to Ontario)

Lesson learned : Choose a trainer who is well respected by others who have trained dogs.

PS Get your dog home.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Unfortunately dogs aren't always on the schedule we want to see. I've seen an untrainable bootlicker at two years old who was an all age dog at seven. Some dogs practically self-train at a very young age, others take time to mature and still others wash out for a whole host of reasons, regardless of their pedigree. What you're really looking for is a trainer, who by reputation or from trusted references is known as someone who will be honest with you about the dog's abilities, prospects & progress. Recently, in the training category I posted a video of a young green broke GSP after three months of training. She is not finished and now will be worked on wild birds off horseback. Several factors affect how we measure training time. Some dogs sulk for a couple of weeks in a new environment before they'll train. Does that count as two weeks of training? Others only need a day or two before they're up and at 'em.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm

IMO. Leaving your dog with a pro trainer should not be done untill your dog is 2yrs or just shy of. You should already know what your dog is capable of and expect a finished dog in 3 months. That means you have done proper bird intro, Gun intro, hunted him one season. Then send your dog away to a pro.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Again a fault of my own as this person is on the west cost I bought this setter from a pro trainer as started and asked if he would finish her out so much a month etc..he knew what I wanted and I knew the cost per month...But being a pro and having setters that won top rank field trials and asking about this person,I would think he would offer me more info and pics, videos etc....I think in the 5 months he has been with her I can count maybe 5 to 6 pics sent to me on my request....I just always get the answer doing good...So I asked him to break that down....he may have but nothing I understood!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat May 18, 2013 3:39 am

I would think you should see progress my now. Its ur call mybe go spend a day with the guy. If he will not let you then pull him.

Chillis from the AKC test that ive have run and its been a good many. Honoring is yes. If ur dog isnt sticking and i mean sticking backs like points in the Invitational at 50-100yds ur probaly will not pass and they have to honor the other dogs retreives every time it could be 10plus birds killed per dog in a hour. Now i have not seen many FTs at this time so i can only speak of MH test. FTs come next year

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 am

I guess it is easier said then done. Getting on a plane and flying almost 2800 miles is not really a thing I can do with work at the moment or I would! I would to see what she really can do and is getting the training like we agreed upon..I myself do not not think that 4 day a week thing is happening. This is why I did not have a litter or want to train her myself because I knew this winter and summer would be busy and again I don't mind paying the bucks but show me something!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat May 18, 2013 5:15 am

At this point, you have enough 'woulda coulda shouldas', so no sense in more to make you feel worse than you clearly do now. It sounds to me like everything is probably going along like you two agreed, but communication skills of the trainer with his clients is poor.

I've had a situation where I bought a collectable vintage shotgun in Canada and ran into a problem that drug out for two years trying to get it to the states. In a forum of collectors I had belonged to for years, I received offers from locals in Canada to help and act as my agent. That group of folks in the forum are some really good guys. It really helped. I'm new here, but I'm confident there are a lot people here equally as generous. In order for that kind of thing to happen here, you're going to have to share the facts eventually. First, you'll need to share the locale of the trainer on the open forum and, if you get volunteers to help you, use the PM function or email to share details. At some point, you'd have to contact the trainer and arrange for this person to visit the location of the training grounds.

Best regards
Chuck

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat May 18, 2013 5:21 am

Understood. In defense it does take time to devlope depth in training. All i can say is go with ur gut. Hope my posts arent direct its just how type. Good luck

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 am

Hattrick wrote:I would think you should see progress my now. Its ur call mybe go spend a day with the guy. If he will not let you then pull him.

Chillis from the AKC test that ive have run and its been a good many. Honoring is yes. If ur dog isnt sticking and i mean sticking backs like points in the Invitational at 50-100yds ur probaly will not pass and they have to honor the other dogs retreives every time it could be 10plus birds killed per dog in a hour. Now i have not seen many FTs at this time so i can only speak of MH test. FTs come next year
Don't want to highjack, but I have never seen a hunt test judge pass a dog which didn't honor every pointing dog he encountered immediately on seeing him and honor through the retrieve and I have been DQ'd for more than one caution. While 100 yard honors look impressive, in reality I am much more impressed with a encounter at ten feet with a sliding stop and steady to wing,shot,fall the other dogs retrieve. That is when the dog needs nerves of steel. I have also ran tests with several NAVDHA UT dogs that failed the honor.
Never seen a field trial. Trying June 1. CJ

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 am

Hope you have good weather for walking at Four Brooks WMA.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:32 am

Four Brookes went over my head!!! If people want me to list the trainers name I will.. I was just not going to bash anyones name if it was something that, he just does n ot talk or want to email but once a month etc!! I just don't know what is up! Anyway I will go with my gut and see where it gets me....Also I walking setter is fine for me but I want it still to be steady ,honor, heel, whoa, all that good stuff since I hunt mountains and grouse and woodcock mainly...50-75 yards is the max I can see 99 percent of the time!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

I think if I sent a started dog to a trainer and he'd had it for 3 months, my expectations would be that he would be awfully close to finished. I've seen my trainer take started dogs through a 4-day clinic and end with a dog that was steady to wing and shot that day (not in every location - and not finished, but surely understanding the drill). And frankly, 4 days a week seems a bit on the low side for working your dog. Maybe I hang with the wrong people, but when I sent my boy to be fixed for creeping so we could do his MH title, I have every confidence he was worked at least 5 days a week and sometimes 6. If it had been during field trial season, he likely would have been worked less, but this was May - not much happening here in Missouri in May.

We did send our Chessie to a well-recognized trainer in the Southeast for FF and marks, and were severely disappointed in that experience. She was started on FF, but not finished and they kept her an extra 6 weeks. When we got her back, she showed absolutely no improvement in her retrieving skills. I didn't really feel good about it when we dropped her off - they were building a new house and I wondered if they'd even spend much time with our dog - I'm convinced they didn't. I try to give the trainers a break, because as a dog owner, I find I sometimes think mine is better than they truly are - but that's why it's so important to find someone you absolutely trust. The guy I deal with (Perfection Kennel) tells it absolutely like it is - even if I don't like to hear it!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 am

birddog98 wrote:Four Brookes went over my head!!! If people want me to list the trainers name I will.. I was just not going to bash anyones name if it was something that, he just does n ot talk or want to email but once a month etc!! I just don't know what is up! Anyway I will go with my gut and see where it gets me....Also I walking setter is fine for me but I want it still to be steady ,honor, heel, whoa, all that good stuff since I hunt mountains and grouse and woodcock mainly...50-75 yards is the max I can see 99 percent of the time!
You've been respectful. Don't sweat it. Where is the dog?

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:58 am

Sent Pm...Thanks for everyones input!!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat May 18, 2013 10:00 am

cjhills wrote: Never seen a field trial. Trying June 1. CJ
BigShooter wrote:Hope you have good weather for walking at Four Brooks WMA.
birddog98 wrote:Four Brookes went over my head!!!
The only field trial in Minnesota being held on June 1 near CJ, is a walking field trial being held at the Four Brooks Wildlife Management Area.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for letting me know where that is ...Would like to see one myself! If I could get away!!

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm

6 months start to finish is about what I'd expect. That's 4 months to put on a handle, heel, whoa break, back, steady, stop to flush, etc. plus another 60 days for FF. Some dogs could even take longer but you would have to know the dog yourself to judge whether that is true or not for your dog.

Bare minimum I would expect would be 3 months for the first part and 30 days for FF.

It's possible for someone to do it in shorter lapse time but reality is the trainer will have some bad weather to deal with, personal activities which will come up, etc. and won't be able to spend every waking minute with your dog (some actually have lives outside of dog training).

I'd say your looking at roughly $2000-$3000 to get-r-done.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Update Finally a Video!!! Looking ok! Says it is getting to hot to train where he which I do believe and they just train on pigeons why he wants to go to summer camp again....I do think you can get bobwhites out west or raise some if your a trainer esp....I raise thousands, but that's me maybe there is no supply...Im not there! Im glad a got video!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 pm

For three months' worth of training I wouldn't expect much. More like 5-6 would be reasonable. Sure, a trainer can get the dog steady in a short time, but generally it's steady under controlled situations, not ready-to-go-home- be-a-good-dog-next-season steady.
IME trainers are pretty bad about contacting owners just to chit chat about their dogs. I've had calls or emails basically when the dog got lost, the dog won something, or the dog is sick. Other than that, it's pretty much up to me to call. One time the trainer's wife sent me a video she took with her phone :D That's once in several years worth of paying my bills on time LOL.
If the dog isn't making the cut for the trial string right now, maybe you'd be happier getting her back and continuing with a local pro. That way you could visit and see for yourself from time to time, and wouldn't feel like you're left hanging.
Good luck with your pooch :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 18, 2013 2:06 pm

I t sounds to me like you want a reason to leave the dog in hopes it will turn into something the trainer has already told you it's not.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I t sounds to me like you want a reason to leave the dog in hopes it will turn into something the trainer has already told you it's not.

Oh no the trainer already told me that she would not make it in Field Trials! I know that now and I'm ok with but I could at least do AKC Hunt test with her....Mainly just need good communication

So tell me trainers??? Do you update your clients with progress on their dogs? Or is this just common practice?

Like I stated if I even have a litter of pups there are pics and videos going out at least every week if not more!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sat May 18, 2013 2:45 pm

It depends somewhat with what's going on with the dog, how many dogs are being worked, what's going on in their personal lives & the weather. Time zones make a difference too. When a trainer gets done at 8:30 - 9:00 pm on the West Coast, do you want a call at midnight? More striking news merits a call. If the dog's not progressing you should be getting a call. If a dog is at summer or winter camp expect one call sometime during the camp & a call or visit (if you're picking it up) at the end. Trainers can't read minds, some owners don't need or want frequent calls. At certain points during training there may be extended periods where there won't be a remarkable change to report. Some trainers at camps have to travel some distance to a town to get decent cell phone reception. Communication is obviously a two way deal. Some trainers/owners like to talk more than others. Like any service business some customers are fun to deal with, others ..... one may want to avoid.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 pm

My trainer can't text, so I would hardly expect multimedia documentation. I send my dogs for training and handling, not photo ops. I do have the luxury of being leas than an hour from the kennel, though.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Ok...I get the point! I never called this guy out or anything was just asking for advice! Yes if Im paying thousands of dollars I would like a email to shows that he cares or a photo or video on how the Setter is doing...I see this guy online all the time if he can be online I would think the money I am paying he could send a email without my request! I guess it is me, I just think different! I guess I'm the want you want to avoid!, because I would like to know how my setter is doing in 5 months of training!

Thank you for the help kindly~

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat May 18, 2013 3:47 pm

birddog98 wrote:Well the thing is Im on one side of the Untied States and He is on the other!!...First mistake maybe!! The dog already has been to one summer camp as pup 9 months or so!! Also I am the one that always has to make contact to see the progress or ask about it!! A few pics here and there but not much said!...So I guess a bummer on my part!! Shame a great pedigree I wanted, color etc!! I guess we learn!!

I do think if you are paying someone that they should at least make contact with you once or every two weeks to let you know how your dog is doing ,instead of me askinfg everytime or making me make the call!!
I pulled my dogs from a pro that would not communicate with me. I put up with it for two months then yanked them. If he wants to take the dog to the prairies two seasons in a row and your dog is not a competition dog I would be concerned.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 pm

For all of you out west when they do summer camp on the prairies....Can you shoot birds there since it is summertime? I would not think,but I never been!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 pm

campgsp wrote:
As far as a dog being broke in a few months, but not have style or run, and not really being broke.... Um wrooong;
You break a dog the right way is all it takes. When the dog is pointing a bird throw birds from your pouch into the air, guess what over a short time the dog will style up his head will be up on point in anticipation of the flying birds
For run umm just plant the birds farther and farther. Best way is to make a
U shape of birds planted far out. What the dog will learn with reps is that the birds are out there any way he goes as long as its forward he will find a bird. Really simple to break a dog in a few months and keep style and run/drive if done the proper way. And a broke dog is a broke dog. Steady wing shot fall, completely obedient, retrieves, finds game , honors, etc broke is broke.
Good luck birddog98 hope it all works out, get another trainer though..
I would like to think when I started, was new and inexperienced, I never showed the arrogance above. I hope I didn't speak about the best way, it being really simple, the proper way, etc. You train more than a couple, three dogs and one of them will teach you some humility, humility is a good thing.

If I didn't know then, I know now there is not one best way to train, that each dog learns at their own pace in their own way. I know there are number of good trainers that get great results that do not train the way I do, and I don't anyone that trains as discribed above.
Last edited by Neil on Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm

BigShooter wrote:It depends somewhat with what's going on with the dog, how many dogs are being worked, what's going on in their personal lives & the weather. Time zones make a difference too. When a trainer gets done at 8:30 - 9:00 pm on the West Coast, do you want a call at midnight? More striking news merits a call. If the dog's not progressing you should be getting a call. If a dog is at summer or winter camp expect one call sometime during the camp & a call or visit (if you're picking it up) at the end. Trainers can't read minds, some owners don't need or want frequent calls. At certain points during training there may be extended periods where there won't be a remarkable change to report. Some trainers at camps have to travel some distance to a town to get decent cell phone reception. Communication is obviously a two way deal. Some trainers/owners like to talk more than others. Like any service business some customers are fun to deal with, others ..... one may want to avoid.
I do respect what you say and know there is a time difference an communication is a two way deal! Which it is always me making the first attempt to email...He didn't have a problem picking up the phone to sell me on the dog or to give me his paypal account!...There is always the next day or day after to make a call!! Thanks for the advice!!