A Newbie Question

Tinpants

A Newbie Question

Post by Tinpants » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm

I'm a happy camper, Just got my new pup a week ago this Wednesday. English Setter, 10 weeks old. Being semi-retired I've able to spend a lot of time with her outside during the day. Well, the last three days she's been going crazy chasing birds, one after another. It's gotten to the point that yesterday I had to bring her back into the house because she is just plain running my backside ragged fetching her back from the other side of the field. I'm here to say she is non-stop until she is back in the house.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Of course she hasn't figured out her name yet so there is alot of going after her, I sure don't want her running off and I for sure don't want her running to exhuastion. I've been told she is to young to put on a lead.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

TraditionsGSPs2010

Re: A Newbie Question

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Please don't take this personal when I say, "what the heck is the problem?"

You have a bird crazy puppy that loves to run... and? In all seriousness, if obedience is an issue, then by all means start teaching some sanity commands. However, at 10 weeks old, yes, it may be a bit early to try to rein it in. Remember, you can always take it out but you can never put it in! Try leading her with some treats and she might hang around you a bit more.

Good luck!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Congrats on the new pup.

She is certainly not too young to learn some restraint. I would begin with the chain gang, and work from there. You don't want to curb enthusiasm in the field, but your presence needs to be recognized. Find a good program to follow. One you can relate to. Check out these 2 websites. www.georgehickox.com and www.huntsmith.com Good luck and keep posting.

Nate

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:44 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Congrats on the new pup.

She is certainly not too young to learn some restraint. I would begin with the chain gang, and work from there. You don't want to curb enthusiasm in the field, but your presence needs to be recognized. Find a good program to follow. One you can relate to. Check out these 2 websites. http://www.georgehickox.com and http://www.huntsmith.com Good luck and keep posting.

Nate
Good Post Nate, Never to young to start building the point of contact on your pups neck. When I have a litter I tie a non slip knot with 2' of cord around each pups neck and let them play for a few hours each day. They tug on each other and I am not involved in it. When the pups are 8 weeks old and go home to the new family they can use a lead without any resistance or drama.

magspa

Post by magspa » Sat May 18, 2013 11:52 am

couldnt hurt to put a light puppy check cord one her, just in case you need to stop her plus get her used to dragging one. try hiding from her at times in a area where you can still see her and she wont be in any danger of course, and when she finds you tell her "here" and praise her, although may not work if she never checks for you.

mask

Post by mask » Sat May 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Sounds like a chukar dog in the making. I don't think you have a problem that everyone would'nt love to have. She is not to young to leash train. Have fun with the whole experience.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat May 18, 2013 8:54 pm

It is not normal, it is extraordinary, you are lucky man, enjoy.

Tinpants

Post by Tinpants » Sun May 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks guy's. Yesterday afternoon had her ouy again, she started chasing birds as she has been doing. She was getting pretty excited chasing and ran plumb into a fence post and knocked her back about silly. She got up ran over to me with a look on her face like she was asking what the heck just happened.

I did get a DVD from Sherry Ebert, looks pretty go but it seems at least on the DVD she is working with dogs about 6 months old. I checked out the two DVD's mentioned above and it seems the one from Hickox starts with younger pups. Anyone here here have any experience with his getting started DVD? I sure as heck don't want to do anything to screw her up,. She was breed out of stock that is used on grouse and woodcock up in the state of Maine and Massachsetts.
Thanks folks

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun May 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Tinpants wrote:Thanks guy's. Yesterday afternoon had her ouy again, she started chasing birds as she has been doing. She was getting pretty excited chasing and ran plumb into a fence post and knocked her back about silly. She got up ran over to me with a look on her face like she was asking what the heck just happened.

I did get a DVD from Sherry Ebert, looks pretty go but it seems at least on the DVD she is working with dogs about 6 months old. I checked out the two DVD's mentioned above and it seems the one from Hickox starts with younger pups. Anyone here here have any experience with his getting started DVD? I sure as heck don't want to do anything to screw her up,. She was breed out of stock that is used on grouse and woodcock up in the state of Maine and Massachsetts.
Thanks folks
I bet you don't screw her up. You are taking time to ask questions and taking the advise. You care about your dog and you seem to have your ego in check. good luck to you.

Tinpants

Post by Tinpants » Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Anyone have any comments on the Hickox DVD? I think I might want to look at a couple and see which makes the most sense to me or at least the one I can understand what they're trying to get too. I'm dealing with a young pup here and need to start from the beginning and understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Thanks folks.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed May 22, 2013 3:26 pm

That pup is defective! Send it to me immediately and get you another one.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Tinpants wrote:Anyone have any comments on the Hickox DVD? I think I might want to look at a couple and see which makes the most sense to me or at least the one I can understand what they're trying to get too. I'm dealing with a young pup here and need to start from the beginning and understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Thanks folks.
I use George's system almost exclusively. The Great Beginnings DVD for pointing dogs brings you through the first year of 4 pointer pups starting at 10 weeks. The DVD includes: Clicker work, intro to birds and guns and introduction to the e-collar. It continues with restrained chase and point drills with use of launchers. Regardless of which training program you choose, I recommend you follow through with it once you commit. The worst thing you can do for you and your dog is to second guess your training program and proceed to jump around in search of the proverbial golden ticket. All programs require commitment and consistency to succeed. This website will give you more information. www.georgehickox.com If you have the opportunity, sign up for a seminar. You'll learn 10x more from a seminar than you will from the DVD alone.

Nate

Tinpants

Post by Tinpants » Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks Nate, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Anybody else want to chime in? I need all the help I can get.

x Bred Pointer

Post by x Bred Pointer » Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

If that pup is running like that at 10 weeks old you could have something there. You should look for a field trial club in your area and get involved.