Summer Camp Training ???

birddog98

Summer Camp Training ???

Post by birddog98 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 am

What does going to Summer Camp on the priaries mean to you?

I know more training can you shoot birds? Just pigeons etc?

Or just them pointing wild birds?

May not seem like the peferct question! Just wanted to see what others thought!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Summer Camp Training ???

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 am

Birddog98 -

If you don't have a field trial prospect with that particular pro...

It probably means you are, at best, wasting your money. At worst, you could wind up with a dead or sick dog AND a big medical bill. Inhaled grass awns kill and injure a fair number of dogs every year. It only takes one....

I do know two pros I would trust to take my hunting dog to the prairies but one of them does not go any longer.

RayG

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks~~~

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I have sent dogs North a hand full of times. I have had tremendous results, and I have had poor results. To me summer training on the prairies means favorable weather conditions, endless grounds to work on, and lots of wild bird contacts.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks! Im just not sure have to make up my mind pretty quick already spent a good bit into training and was wondering if the summer camp would make her that much better!

Of course so many factors come into play!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

The thing that will make your dog that absolute best it can be is shoeleather. YOURS.

Hunt the snot out of the dog every chance you get. Hunt every kind of bird in every kind of terrain, in all kinds of weather. Run the dog in the summer, go for walks, do whatever, but do it together.

Every time I was in the field and saw a dog that I thought "Now there's a hard hunting dog", something else also occurred. Not too awful long after I saw that hard hunting dog, there came a hard hunting hunter, following after that dog.

The two always seemed to go together. BE that hard hunter and you will have a hard hunting dog.

Go make some memories...just you and your dog. No matter what, you won't regret it. Both you and the dog will be better for it.

RayG

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue May 21, 2013 5:44 pm

RayGubernat wrote:The thing that will make your dog that absolute best it can be is shoeleather. YOURS.

Hunt the snot out of the dog every chance you get. Hunt every kind of bird in every kind of terrain, in all kinds of weather. Run the dog in the summer, go for walks, do whatever, but do it together.

Every time I was in the field and saw a dog that I thought "Now there's a hard hunting dog", something else also occurred. Not too awful long after I saw that hard hunting dog, there came a hard hunting hunter, following after that dog.

The two always seemed to go together. BE that hard hunter and you will have a hard hunting dog.

Go make some memories...just you and your dog. No matter what, you won't regret it. Both you and the dog will be better for it.

RayG
Excellent post Ray! Absolutely no better way in making a Better bird dog then what you described.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm

I have taken or sent every young pointing dog I have owned North at least one summer with excellent results except for good friend that let be down with lady problems, he is now a carpenter.

The benefits are many, cooler temps, wild birds, more open ground, the trainer being issolated has less distractions.

It will make a dog.

If not on the circuit, there is little need to send an older dog.

cmc274

Summer Camp Training ???

Post by cmc274 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:23 pm

I am a believer. The country separates the dogs pretty easily. They don't shoot wild birds. Season isnt in until sometime on September. Every dog with potential deserves a chance to prove themselves on wild birds at some point. Some dogs are what they are and the additional exposure won't benefit them. I sent two north last year and will send one this year. I'm lookin for that lightening in a bottle.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for all the post...No Im not running any big field trials but I did want to do AKC HUNT TEST.....Like I was always told cant make a bird dog without birds! I hunt grouse and woodcock our wild birds then of course liberated quail,huns, partridge and pheasants

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 pm

birddog98 wrote:Thanks for all the post...No Im not running any big field trials but I did want to do AKC HUNT TEST.....Like I was always told cant make a bird dog without birds! I hunt grouse and woodcock our wild birds then of course liberated quail,huns, partridge and pheasants
I think in your case I would consider one of the cover dog guys, you don't need a lot of run for Hunting Tests or the libbies, and a controlled range for grouse and woodcock, even with a Garmin. Better to stay in the woods and off the prairies.

Bigriver05

Post by Bigriver05 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I have two headed to Northern New Hampshire for the summer. One shooting dog and one fall derby. I do not have the means to summer train here and we have too many snakes.