Off Leash

FirearmFan

Off Leash

Post by FirearmFan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

I was wondering how you guys start your dog off leash and at roughly what age? I have read posts where people take their new pups to a field to let them explore and that the pup will come back and check back in. What's to stop the dog from just taking off? Do you wait until the dog is rock solid on "here" before doing this? I'm curious to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks.

deseeker

Re: Off Leash

Post by deseeker » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am

I've got a litter of pups that are 6 1/2 weeks old and I have been letting them explore in a SHORT grass field since they were 5 weeks old( I only run them 2 at a time incase they head off in different directions--in which case I pick one up and follow the other one). Since you are only doing 1 pup, my guess is your pup will keep checking on you making sure you are still there. The main thing is keep it in a short cover field to start with, then later advance to a field that has short cover but also has some medium cover clumps in it for the pup to check out. Every once in a while, I will put a few kibbles of his puppy food in a clump and walk him downwind of the clump---it gets them to use their nose and also gets them to explore clumps because they might hold rewards(food, birds, whatever). Save the tall cover fields until they are a little older & they get their confidence up. JMO

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am

If its a young pup (less than 3-4 month) you shouldn't have to worry about it as long as you have built a bond with them. They will want to be with you. As the pup matures and gets bolded he will explore farther away from you, but should still check in naturally.
I start taking my pups for short walks the day I bring them home. Its been 6 weeks since I have been doing this with my new pup and he still hasn't gone farther that 50 yards. He is always making sure he know where I am.
By the time the pup starts to get some wheels on him, hopefully you have establish a reliable recall. If you are having a problem with the pup running off then its probably time to go back to yard work, as the pup has built up his confidence in the field.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 pm

The only time my dog is really ever on a leash is when I am doing yard work that requires it,roading or walking from the kennel to the place that I break them away from. All the young dogs that I have been around have always checked back in, 99% of the older dogs that I have been around have checked back in. The only thing that keeps the dog from taking off is that the dog desires to be with you more than being without you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm

FirearmFan wrote:I was wondering how you guys start your dog off leash and at roughly what age? I have read posts where people take their new pups to a field to let them explore and that the pup will come back and check back in. What's to stop the dog from just taking off? Do you wait until the dog is rock solid on "here" before doing this? I'm curious to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks.
Let me turn this around for you. Take your pup out in the field and try to lose it and I will bet you can't do it. Your dog or pup is not yours because they are always on a leash. They are yours because they want to be with you. There may be several reasons for that like you feed it, provide a place for it to sleep, and you are there for play or any other purpose the pup wants.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Yard work is yard work and field work is field work. Keep the two separate until the dog's yard work is complete. Let the pup explore in the field, and never deprive him the opportunity to learn and develop.

Nate

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Young pups don't need a leash they stay with you. In the field I would never use a leash (unless training something). Let them run and romp and gain confidence and boldness. My guy is 5 months old now and I rarely use a leash (and I live in the city so when I do it is because it is necessary).
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm not specifically worried about him running away and not returning but was just looking for some reassurance. I live in the country on 15 acres so I'm not worried about cars or traffic but I don't have a fenced in yard and there are tons of wildlife, cows, and other interesting things around that could distract a pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

FirearmFan wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm not specifically worried about him running away and not returning but was just looking for some reassurance. I live in the country on 15 acres so I'm not worried about cars or traffic but I don't have a fenced in yard and there are tons of wildlife, cows, and other interesting things around that could distract a pup.
Those aren't distractions but are the reason you are there. The pup need to learn and the only way that happens is to be exposed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
FirearmFan wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm not specifically worried about him running away and not returning but was just looking for some reassurance. I live in the country on 15 acres so I'm not worried about cars or traffic but I don't have a fenced in yard and there are tons of wildlife, cows, and other interesting things around that could distract a pup.
Those aren't distractions but are the reason you are there. The pup need to learn and the only way that happens is to be exposed.

Ezzy
Good point

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu May 23, 2013 3:32 pm

My 11 week old pup is starting to worry me so he has is own Garmin now. Today he was 400 yards out and didnt seem too concerned about finding me. Without the collar I would never feel comfortable letting such a young dog be out of sight for that long.

I dont have a fenced yard either so every time my dogs go out they have GPS collars on. It gives me piece of mind while letting them gain independence.