Beginner with a few questions

CT_bassman

Beginner with a few questions

Post by CT_bassman » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 pm

I am new to training gun dogs but not to hunting. After hunting over others dogs for years I have finally decided its time to get a gun dog of my own. After researching and comparing different breeds I decided to get a Deutsch Drahthaar. I am big into upland hunting and as of recently getting into waterfowl. I want to train my dog to point for pheasants and other upland but also be a good duck dog. I have already invested in a book someone suggested, Retriever Training by Tom Dokkens, they said this would be a good book to work on the waterfowl end of the training but I am also looking for a good book for training a pointer, any suggestions? I plan on hunting pheasants, grouse, and partridge most of the year and waterfowl maybe 2-3 months out of the year. Any other tips or suggested reading to get in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

4dabirds

Re: Beginner with a few questions

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:26 am

Check out George hickox s web site

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 am

Training with Mo.
Contact Maurice Lindly on here. Has a video also. :)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm

The Perfect Start DVD www.perfectionkennel.com

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:42 pm

If it were me and I wanted a dual purpose dog like that I would focus a lot on finding a line with a thick coat. Aside from that, I would train them like a pointing dog and take him duck hunting after force fetching at around 2 years old. Where I live, labs out number any breed. I have found one that was trained and a hundred that were hunted. The one that was trained doubled as an upland game bird flusher, the others just liked water, cold weather and playing "fetch" :lol:

IMHO even a good lab should be force fetched, but that is just me, and I do not own a lab.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:12 am

You might think of joining NAVHDA and find a local chapter and train with them it is very helpful and fun and you will end up with what you are looking for.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:31 am

There's a NAVHDA chapter out here on the westcoast that has some members big into the Deutsch Draht's. Bob Worrell is a trainer that is big into them and seems pretty knowledgeable about them. He's in Palmdale, CA. I can get you his number if you want to call and chat with him.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 am

I'll second Training With Mo or Perfection with the Perfect Start and Finish. Once you pick a program stick to it and don't second guess your self or your dog. But most of all HAVE FUN with your dog

CT_bassman

Post by CT_bassman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 pm

S&J gsp wrote:I'll second Training With Mo or Perfection with the Perfect Start and Finish. Once you pick a program stick to it and don't second guess your self or your dog. But most of all HAVE FUN with your dog

Thanks for all the feedback, after reading other reviews and opinions I am still unsure which program I am going to go with. Guess the best route would be get both and go from there see what each has to offer. In the meantime I will gladly take any other advice on the two different systems mentioned.

Thanks,

Joe T

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Congrats and good luck. I would point out that if your going to be involved at all in the German Testing system then I would concentrate more on obedience and tracking, retrieving work as that is what the system puts the most emphasis on.
NAVDHA groups are often times great....

Have fun and good luck.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm

x3 on the NAVHDA advise!! This would be the type of training you are looking for.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

CT_bassman

Post by CT_bassman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 pm

I have 2 cats and another dog. How is he going to be getting along with them? I've heard both good and bad with DDs and other family pets.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 pm

CT_bassman wrote:I have 2 cats and another dog. How is he going to be getting along with them? I've heard both good and bad with DDs and other family pets.
You attached to your cats?

CT_bassman

Post by CT_bassman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Guess that means they'll be goners? Lol

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:16 pm

If you like your cats and want a more all-purpose dog (but a flusher mostly), then go for a field bred Labrador. They usually will get along with cats. I have a good friend with a DD and have met a few others - they were all cat killers. My GSP was also a cat killer, but I know many more of then that aren't. Some behaviors can be trained out of a dog, but hundreds of years of breeding the animal to hunt fur and feather is hard to overcome.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:14 pm

RoostersMom wrote:If you like your cats and want a more all-purpose dog (but a flusher mostly), then go for a field bred Labrador. They usually will get along with cats. I have a good friend with a DD and have met a few others - they were all cat killers. My GSP was also a cat killer, but I know many more of then that aren't. Some behaviors can be trained out of a dog, but hundreds of years of breeding the animal to hunt fur and feather is hard to overcome.
I agree, my oldest male who has always lived outside in the kennel will and has tried to kill my cat. The other ones I kept them in the house longer before relinquishing them to the kennel that will play all day with the cat if he allows them to. For me I think it's more of the up bringing. Those who grow together play together..

If your cats not declawed might be a good idea for the dogs sake. Mine likes to SWAT at their eyes, and after having my layed to rest Rottweilers eye gouged has become a practice. Poor girl.. I miss her now big black bear of a dog... Sorry got off course.

I'm not entirely sure how a dd would react but I think if you brought them together while he's a pup things should be ok. Think you choose a good breed by the way. Perfection kennels has a good video. That would be my suggestion.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 pm

CT_bassman wrote:I have 2 cats and another dog. How is he going to be getting along with them? I've heard both good and bad with DDs and other family pets.
I think you'll be ok as long as you set boundaries, and the cats are tolerant of the pup. Don't ever allow the dog to rough house with or worst yet case chase the cat. I had an English Setter once who made quite a sport out of chasing the wife's cat around the house. He was just playing, but it was a BAD idea! He became a fur chaser after that. A mistake I'll never make again.

Nate

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:19 pm

I think it will be in part how the pup is raised, and in part how it is hard wired when it comes to the cats, and how you handle it....

The DD we had grew up as a puppy with a cat, used to walk around together all the time when the DD was a pup...A few weeks ago after catching a jack rabbit, the DD decided the cat looked like fair game as well...bye bye cat....that was after two years living with the cat.
The other dog I wouldn't worry about as much, but problems can still occur regardless of breed.

I think DD's are a wonderful breed, but you have to understand what exactly they are bred for, they are Hunting dogs...not bird dogs if you understand. They are bred to hunt fur and feather, including pigs/boars, all vermin, predators, rabbits as well as birds.