Gear to start buying

CT_bassman

Gear to start buying

Post by CT_bassman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I have been doing a lot of reading and research and every book or article recommends getting different stuff to start training a pup with. I will have a Drahthaar on the way towards the end of August and want to know what I should have to begin his training. After all the overwhelming info on check cords, leads, collars, training dummies, etc. I have only gotten two Roy Gonia special whistles so far one with a pea one w/o. I would like some feedback from some of the trainers on here on whats a good place to start.

P.S. I dont think I ever gave a proper introduction I am Joe and have been an avid hunter my whole life, currently 25, and I am from Connecticut. I will be getting my first gun dog in August, a deutsch drahthaar and I look forward to the learning curve of shaping him into a great all around bird dog.

Thanks,

Joe T

big_fish

Re: Gear to start buying

Post by big_fish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Welcome Joe to the greatest gundog forum on the web. work on Obedience first it is the foundation to all training programs. Find a up to date proven training program (hunt smith , perfect start perfect finish ect. If you can start a pigeon loft and buy some young birds or breeders and raise your own, a bird launcher is a great tool and gun dog supply has the best price (2 launchers would be great) find a local supplier of good flying game birds because you cant make a bird dog without birds get it on as many as possible.I would suggest you join NAVHDA and find a local chapter they will have all the tools you need and will help you to train your dog at their training days. visit this site often and don't be afraid to ask questions there are lots of real good people on here that are more than willing to help. Good luck with your pup and happy hunting
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:31 pm

STIFF check cord(the limp ones aren't as good) and pigeons are what you'll need the most---remote launcer if you can afford it. Good collar with name tag with your name and number on it. Get a good training program like perfect start or Mo's book and video. Find a knowlegable training partner or join a NAVHDA club(they have traing days and access to birds). E-collar when the pup is older. Good luck with the new pup. :D

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:48 pm

This is kind of dependent on the program you choose. A good stiff check cord in 20-25 foot a good leather collar

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Find a source for quail / chukar / ducks, maybe build yourself a loft for homers / shooter pigeons. Private / public land /ponds to train at. 12' Check cord and pinch collar. Some canvas retrieving dummies or maybe some of those dokken dummies. Dont need much. Plus some time, patience and realistic expectations.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome Joe,

There is a Rick Smith Seminar in New Jersey in September. Check out this website. www.huntsmith.com

As far as training tools go. A good check cord can last a lifetime. Many tools are optional. Birds are not tools, but are a requirement. Research sources for birds: Training clubs, newspapers and the web (Craig's list) also training and hunting grounds.

Nate

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 pm

S&J gsp wrote:This is kind of dependent on the program you choose. A good stiff check cord in 20-25 foot a good leather collar
+1 after posting on a similar thread a while ago and then seeing how different methods are used such a clicker, think it's best to decide first what program your going to use and then find out what you need.
But a check chord goes a long way.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm with the guys above. It really depends on which method you use. If you're going to train your pup via the Smith method, you'll need different products than if you train via the Hickox method. In my opinion, the only things you NEED to train a dog is a check cord, collar, dog and birds. All else is gravy on top of the biscuits. Don't HAVE to have an eCollar, launchers, pinch collar, barrels, platforms, stakes, etc, but some of it can make your job a lot easier if you use them right.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

hill

Post by hill » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:57 am

If I could go back and give myself some advice I would pick a training program, attend the seminar for that program, buy the book/video, get my training equipment and birds, and THEN get a puppy. I was behind the curve on my first one because I bought a pup and didn't really have a plan going forward. Once I picked a program I had to acquire all the training aids as I went. The dogs that came after that were much easier. The seminar made the biggest difference for me, it was the most expensive but also the most beneficial.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Most of what you by now will be collecting dust in a year or two so be careful what you buy. Check cord, I rarely use one anymore. I need a E-collar now. I have trained master level dogs without one. but it is easier on the dog and quicker with one. don't stock up on a lot of stuff buy as you think you need it...................................Cj

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I started with my first pointing dog this year a couple things I did not budget for which I wish I would have is birds, getting you and the dog registered with any organizations you may choose to join, I knew it would take time but it does not sink in until you are actually spending the time. Also once you get your birds you will need something to transport them in. These are just a few things I did not necessarily plan for (I knew I would need them but over looked it) I will say good luck and the time spent is totally worth it when your pup gets her first point on a bird.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm just going to say what I should have done in the weeks prior to pup arriving.
Pick one training programe. Just one.
Build a pigeon loft.
Get young homing pigeons that have never been flown.
Buy a remote bird launcher two if you can afford it.
Later buy a JASCO collar.
Even later buy an Ecollar.

Stating the obvious a collar with name tag and micro chip.

MI-Man

Post by MI-Man » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:12 am

Awesome Joe. I am a first timer as well. The process for me thus far has been amazing! I have owned dogs for much of my life but the bond that is developing with my GSP has been like no other. We share the same passion, hunting!
I am still learning but this has worked for me....
Started off just letting my pup be a pup! I would get her out in the woods/fields as much as possible early to let her explore and seek. She began to build self confidence (and is still building!). All this will cost you is time. I let my dog run free, if she left my sight I would hide, she hated that, now she almost always has me in her sights when running the woods/fields. As others have noted, spend a lot of time on basic commands. "Here", "stay", "free", etc. I also played a lot of fletch, mainly to help get her energy out. I introduced my dog to birds at 5 months (chukars), Just let her find, point, chase. Gun fire (22 blank) at 6 months and then have worked up to a 12 ga over the next six months, I introduced an e-collar at 9 months. It all depends on your dog, but this worked for mine.
As for training tools......now that I am working her on birds a little more, a good remote launcher has been my "most valuable player". It is nice to know where the bird is and that it will stay put, while working with your dog.
A good friend who has worked gun dogs all his life gave me the best advice....which was, "take it slow". I have tried to do just that and she is doing pretty well.
Hope this helps!

MI-MAN

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

What the heck is a JASCO collar?