First clip wing tomorrow

CDN_Cocker

First clip wing tomorrow

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Going to pick up a few birds in the morning so the pup will be getting his first clip wing. He has retrieved a dead pigeon but this will be his first time with a live bird. Any tips for his first time?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

UplandJim

Re: First clip wing tomorrow

Post by UplandJim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am

Just make sure he brings the bird back to you quickly. I would plant them and have him find them. Just keep it simple and fun!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Going to pick up a few birds in the morning so the pup will be getting his first clip wing. He has retrieved a dead pigeon but this will be his first time with a live bird. Any tips for his first time?
Just one, don't forget your place board...... :wink:

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:01 am

Just went out and practiced with the dead bird and he acted like a tool and started parading with it instead of coming back. He's never done that. Looks like no lock/clip wing today. Want to make sure he'll come back. Maybe I should have check cord on him?

PS. I'm not gonna live this place board thing down am I coveyrise?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 am

Just don't let him get scared from the flapping wings - sometimes the youngsters don't take to that very well. Make sure he isn't frightened at all (probably not a worry with this one!). I'd use the CC to enforce the "here" command - since you don't have any other way of catching him than by running him down - which will lead to bad associations with a flapping bird in his mouth!

Ohh - and take pictures.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Just went out and practiced with the dead bird and he acted like a tool and started parading with it instead of coming back. He's never done that. Looks like no lock/clip wing today. Want to make sure he'll come back. Maybe I should have check cord on him?

PS. I'm not gonna live this place board thing down am I coveyrise?
DO NOT use a check cord for bringing him in from a retrieve.

What kind of space did you just practice with him in when he "acted like a tool"?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Out in the yard. He's always been fine there. I don't want to give him a live bird if he's parading with the dead one.
Cass

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 pm

You have a check cord on him and he can't screw it up. Don't jerk him in, just lead him in. Puppy's like to play and that's what they do best. You have the opportunity to make that play useful but to do it you have to be in control. a cc with him on one end and you on the other put's you in control and makes him succeed in spite of himself.

puppy's and check cords.

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Dogs will always have a way of doing "new" things in training or reverting back to "untrained" ways.

When you go to a live bird from a dead bird, tape wings down and give pup a short retrieve. Sit on the ground and make it easy for pup to come back to you. Hallway is good. If you use a CC then give just enough resistance to turn the pup but don't try to "strongly pull" pup to you.

Get your drill set up knowing what you are going to do and the area to do the drill. Use a bumper first. Let pup get used to the routine. even if you are going to use the CC, do it with the bumper. Then toss the dead bird. See the reaction of the pup and do things just like you are going to do with the live bird. The use the taped, live bird. make sure pup does things exactly the same in all three scenarios.

Next day, start over with bumper, dead bird, live bird again. If pup is doing great and you feel like he can do it without the CC, leave the CC on the pup anyway and give him a few more weeks with the routine before taking off the CC. You can gradually release one wind from the tape. You can then release both wings but tape the flight feathers together.
If things are going well, then eventually, you can throw the tape winged bird for retrieves.

As you get comfortable with what pup will do with the live bird when he gets it, you can then start planting the bird for pup to find and catch.

Good luck!

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Out in the yard. He's always been fine there. I don't want to give him a live bird if he's parading with the dead one.
up

When I say "Do not use a check cord" I'm basically saying that he needs more steady training to to thrown dummies.

If you make him hup, then throw a dummy ... can you go pick it up yourself and return to Jake's side with Jake remaining steady?

Check cords aren't necessary if preliminary training has been a success.

For instance, my pup Blaze: I can "Hup" him .. throw a live clipped wing in front of him at his feet and he will not move. I can then proceed to pick it up and then toss the clipped pigeon out...pause and give him the command to retrieve. (I have done this scenario many many times with dummies)

Remember it's all about progression. When he's ready, proceed...if he's not then: "take em out - speak quiet to them, don't confuse them, always be honest with them, do what they know then praise em, rinse and repeat! how easy is that!!! add birds and you become a God in their eyes..." Author withheld

I'm not trying to brag here just trying to set a standard.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 pm

UplandJim wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Out in the yard. He's always been fine there. I don't want to give him a live bird if he's parading with the dead one.
up

When I say "Do not use a check cord" I'm basically saying that he needs more steady training to to thrown dummies.

If you make him hup, then throw a dummy ... can you go pick it up yourself and return to Jake's side with Jake remaining steady?

For instance, my pup Blaze: I can "Hup" him .. throw a live clipped wing in front of him at his feet and he will not move. I can then proceed to pick it up and then toss the clipped pigeon out...pause and give him the command to retrieve. (I have done this scenario many many times with dummies)

Remember it's all about progression. When he's ready, proceed...if he's not then: "take em out - speak quiet to them, don't confuse them, always be honest with them, do what they know then praise em, rinse and repeat! how easy is that!!! add birds and you become a God in their eyes..." Author withheld

Yeah he is steady to dummies. I only let him retrieve 1 out of every 8-10 throws. steady to the dead bird too its just the return that was the issue today.
Cass

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
UplandJim wrote:
up

Yeah he is steady to dummies. I only let him retrieve 1 out of every 8-10 throws. steady to the dead bird too its just the return that was the issue today.
First, remember that he is a pup. Blaze does the same thing sometimes ... I feel he will grow out of it as he matures.

We often have a bad session and I just leave it as soon as possible. Tomorrow is another day. If I were you I would plant ONE clipped-wing, maybe two...let him find it and see what happens (he should bring it to you) do this in heavy cover ( I feel like open fields are distractions)...then go from there.

""You best judgement" will be your best training tool.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:08 am

Might try today. Start him off on basic stuff and work up to it. Keep you posted.
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 am

Well just took Jake out with the CC and did a retrieve with a dead bird and this time he was fine. Came right back - mouthing it a bit but I think that's because it has been used a few times (time to throw it out). I got on the ground instead of expecting him to jump back up on the place board with it, I think this is what made the difference. Might try a clip or lock wing later, going to see how the rest of his day goes.
Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Just tried to introduce Jake to a bird. I taped one of its wings and threw it for him as a retrieve. He was right after it but the tape came off and the bird flew away! What a fail!!!! So I have pulled the flight feathers on one wing of another one and will try it in a bit. I was really hoping that he would've been able to retrieve his first one!
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 pm

:) Welcome to dog training. getting things to work "right" is sometimes a challenge. At this point, look at the positive. Dog got introduced to a bird and didn't have issues with a retrieve. Sometimes its the little things we have to focus on.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Cass

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Success today! Did 2 retrieves with a clip wing! Video to follow...
Cass

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Fun to see. He showed no fear of those flapping wings which is great. Nice to see your camouflage with your shorts - just teasing you Cass. :)
One thing I noticed.... don't use the same voice tone for a command and praise . What you are using is fine for a command, but raise it a tone+ and lighten it up for praise. jmo
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 am

Dont mix up intro to birds with retrieving. The idea of the intro to birds is to intro the bird. If you give a pup anything and it takes possession of that thing the only mistake you made was expecting something different. Its a puppy have fun . When you train the dog to see a benefit for the dog by giving something up it will give it up. Lots of praise.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:10 am

Cass