SportDog?

RichK

SportDog?

Post by RichK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:57 pm

What is the general opinion on SportDog brand e-collars? Any one you would recommend in particular for a dog I plan to use 75% for upland, 25% waterfowl work?

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: SportDog?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I have TT but several of my P Dog friends have them and love them. No problems. I am considering the TEK 1.01 when my Tracker Duo's kick the bucket.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't have much good to say about the one I bought. IIRC it was an 1875 or something, got it from TSC. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. And when it did, sometimes it worked at decent range, sometimes its effective range was about 30 feet. It was just too inconsistent to do any serious training with. I use the collar as a dummy these days after purchasing the TriTronics that I should have bought in the first place.

But to be fair, my experience with the sportdog was about 5 or 6 years ago. So maybe sportdog has improved since then. I won't take another chance on it, though.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm

I have a SD 1225 for my griff, have really enjoyed it so far. Heard bad things about the sd 400 and some of the older models. Mine is 3 years and prob used over 200 days a year for waterfowl, upland, and training.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Is TriTronics generally considered to be the better choice over a SportDog?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm

RichK wrote:Is TriTronics generally considered to be the better choice over a SportDog?
Yes.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Don't rule out Dogtra. I have a Dogtra 2500 Beeper/E collar that I love.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2500.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:28 am

I have only worked with two lower end models but both of them had battery issues very early on. I am not impressed with the brand. I have used all the major brands and Sportdog is at the bottom of my list.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:38 am

I've never used a sport dog e-collar but do have a tracking collar. I've had so much trouble with it I'd never buy another sport dog product. Just got back the 5th replacement collar in about six month's. Fed Ex has had the thing longer than I have. I fairness, this one seem's to be working. Put Bodie exactly where I found hi at close to 700 yds, about time!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Any opinions on the Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3?

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I have the sd-400-s had it on my lab and now on my Brittany I have considered the new 425 (due to it having vib) I have not had a problem in the 3 years I have had it.it holds a charge and after conditioning my dogs to it it is a fine tool in my opinion. If it were to go bad I would buy another sportdog probably the tec with the training collar.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:49 pm

brad27 wrote:
RichK wrote:Is TriTronics generally considered to be the better choice over a SportDog?
Yes.
X 2! Truly, TT is a better choice than any other.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:27 am

RichK wrote:Any opinions on the Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3?
Yes. I had one and I would not want another. The thumb wheel adjustment for stimulation is a poor design. It can be inadvertently rubbed against something and the intensity changed. Therefore each time I needed to correct the dog I needed to look at the little wheel and verify the setting. By then its too late to correct the dog.

My recommendation is to save your money and buy one good, versatile collar.

I can recommend these collars from personal experience:

DT Systems SPT 2420 $318 online, right now for 48 hrs only. http://dtsystems.factoryoutletstore.com ... QgodDDAAng You won't find a more versatile and user friendly collar on the market. It's my favorite collar for training because I can set two buttons, independently, to any of the 50 finely graduated levels, and have a "rise" button that stimulation rises in a predetermined time (a few seconds) to the highest stimulation or as high as whenever you let go of the button, in case you underestimated the preset button levels.

Tritronics Pro 100 $449. Rugged, built like a tank. Much more versatile than a Sport Basic. An excellent product.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:48 am

roaniecowpony wrote:
RichK wrote:Any opinions on the Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3?
Yes. I had one and I would not want another. The thumb wheel adjustment for stimulation is a poor design. It can be inadvertently rubbed against something and the intensity changed. Therefore each time I needed to correct the dog I needed to look at the little wheel and verify the setting. By then its too late to correct the dog.

My recommendation is to save your money and buy one good, versatile collar.

I can recommend these collars from personal experience:

DT Systems SPT 2420 $318 online, right now for 48 hrs only. http://dtsystems.factoryoutletstore.com ... QgodDDAAng You won't find a more versatile and user friendly collar on the market. It's my favorite collar for training because I can set two buttons, independently, to any of the 50 finely graduated levels, and have a "rise" button that stimulation rises in a predetermined time (a few seconds) to the highest stimulation or as high as whenever you let go of the button, in case you underestimated the preset button levels.

Tritronics Pro 100 $449. Rugged, built like a tank. Much more versatile than a Sport Basic. An excellent product.

I will second the 2420. The vibe button gets used a lot too. My only regret is that I should have bought the two dog
Setup I think it's called the 2440.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 am

I think the DT 24xx series is also very user friendly for both beginner and pro. The more I use other collars, the more I appreciate it. Mine is a single collar system as well.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am

+
Sharon wrote:Don't rule out Dogtra. I have a Dogtra 2500 Beeper/E collar that I love.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2500.html
+1 for Dogtra 2500 Beeper/E collar