Treats or No Treats

Do you use treats for training your dogs?

Yes
71%
No
24%
Other
5%

Total votes: 42

FirearmFan

Treats or No Treats

Post by FirearmFan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Just curious who uses treats as a reward and motivator during training and who doesn't. I've read suggestions both ways. I've used them on dogs in the past but up until the last 6 months or so I basically knew nothing about dog training. I'm currently reading Hup! By James Spencer in preparation of my upcoming Springer and he uses praise rather than treats in the book. I think this is the approach I'm going to take but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: Treats or No Treats

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I use click and treat primarily for pups to 1 year of age, and dogs that need foundational training and trust building.

Gary Wilkes developed the method that George Hickox now uses. This is the method I also use. www.clickandtreat.com

Nate

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm

I've always been against treats.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I find cheese to be a great motivator.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Cheetos puffs. Gotta love 'em.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I use treats (operant conditioning) for early puppy training.
As soon as formal training occurs,,,,, no more treats.
Last edited by Del Lolo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 am

I use treats but only for specific exercises with specific dogs. My most frequent use of treats is to reward pups for sitting to whistle . I walk out to the sitting pup and then give it the treat at increasingly longer distances. I also use them occasionally when first teaching pups the recall whistle..... That's about it most of the time.

When training the retrieve I avoid using treats if I can , sometimes they cause more problems than they solve.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am

To this day mine get a treat most every time I kennel him.

I found this dog food that resembles haggis, we use those for treadmill treats.

cmc274

Treats or No Treats

Post by cmc274 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm

For house stuff like kennel, sit or would you rather be a Cleveland browns fan or a dead dog. For field work, no, I use praise. I've watched Maurice Lindley softly stoke a dog and I've tried to imitate it. Doesn't get the dog stupid happy, but lets him know he did it right.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm

The softly praise thing, is different than most, lots of folks I have watched like to crank up the happy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I use treats but only for specific exercises with specific dogs. My most frequent use of treats is to reward pups for sitting to whistle . I walk out to the sitting pup and then give it the treat at increasingly longer distances. I also use them occasionally when first teaching pups the recall whistle..... That's about it most of the time.

When training the retrieve I avoid using treats if I can , sometimes they cause more problems than they solve.

Bill T.
+1

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Last year i tried using treats with a pup and was impressed with the results. This was basically done teaching the dog to go to a spot and sit. Then some beginning casting taking overs.

I have always just used praise. I am learning how little you have to say and how much the dog reads your non-verbal. You can smile at the dog and show your pleasure and I believe the dog knows it did the right thing. Just as the dog reads us when we change our posture and facial expressions when we get made.

They like petting and soft voices. They also like it when we are consistent with our reaction to what they do. They learn the boundaries.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:54 am

Dogs will only exhibit behaviors they find rewarding . The more rewarding the behavior the more the dog will use. It for reward. The hungrier the dog is the more significant the food reward will become. Starting training using food rewards allows the trainer to get the dog to exhibit behaviors without pressure . Establishing behaviors such as standing still later can be easily transitioned into the whoa command. With a consistent program the bird takes the place of the food as the reward allowing continuity within the program. When properly used food rewards allows you to train behaviors that are condusive to field work at a much earlier age. Improperly implementing food rewards can lead to problems and for this reason some people have poor results. If you are deciding on a plan and the reward is a pat on the head think what would motivate a dog more. For that matter I do t know anyone going to work so their boss can pat them on the back. The more you can make the more motivated you are to work . Should the dog be any different?
Last edited by 4dabirds on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 am

4dabirds wrote:Dogs will only exhibit behaviors they find rewarding . The more rewarding the behavior the more the dog will use. It for reward. The hungrier the dog is the more significant the food reward will become. Starting training using food rewards allows the trainer to get the dog to exhibit behaviors without pressure . Establishing behaviors such as standing still later can be easily transitioned into the whoa command. With a consistent program the bird takes the place of the food as the reward allowing continuity within the program. When properly used food rewards allows you to train behaviors that are condusive to field work at a much earlier age. Improperly implementing food rewards can lead to problems and for this reason some people have poor results. If you are deciding on a plan and the reward is a pat on the head think what would motivate a dog more. For that matter I do t know anyone going to work so their boss can pay them on the back. The more you can make the more motivated you are to work . Should the dog be any different?
Dogs don't work to pay bills so yes, there is a difference.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Lmao this is awesome
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:21 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
4dabirds wrote:Dogs will only exhibit behaviors they find rewarding . The more rewarding the behavior the more the dog will use. It for reward. The hungrier the dog is the more significant the food reward will become. Starting training using food rewards allows the trainer to get the dog to exhibit behaviors without pressure . Establishing behaviors such as standing still later can be easily transitioned into the whoa command. With a consistent program the bird takes the place of the food as the reward allowing continuity within the program. When properly used food rewards allows you to train behaviors that are condusive to field work at a much earlier age. Improperly implementing food rewards can lead to problems and for this reason some people have poor results. If you are deciding on a plan and the reward is a pat on the head think what would motivate a dog more. For that matter I do t know anyone going to work so their boss can pay them on the back. The more you can make the more motivated you are to work . Should the dog be any different?
Dogs don't work to pay bills so yes, there is a difference.
Did I say dogs worked t pay bills? What I meant is that you work for treats. If you are working every day for some altruistic sense of being then you have my apology. Dogs perform for reward. . If there is no reward then they are working to avoid punishment. If you only train your dog to perform by avoiding punishment then you do not have my apology :twisted:

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 am

Dog work and hunt because they are wired up from birth to do that, least the good ones are. I'm a no treat trainer and my dogs are not afraid of me. Just a different mind set on how people look at dogs I guess

Mo

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Maurice wrote:Dog work and hunt because they are wired up from birth to do that, least the good ones are. I'm a no treat trainer and my dogs are not afraid of me. Just a different mind set on how people look at dogs I guess

Mo
My way of looking at it is they are wired up to exhibit behaviors they find rewarding .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:05 pm

my way of looking at it , is they are wired the way you connect the wires. :P