A little break through on training

big_fish

A little break through on training

Post by big_fish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:25 pm

My Brittany is 7 months old and every time I have planted birds he will catch sent and rush in and bump the bird or I have to launch it so he doesn't get into trouble with the launcher. I set the first pigeon in the launcher and brought him around as soon as he caught sent and turned I launched the bird and he chased it and I fired the blank on the second pigeon he came around and up a hill he caught sent at about the middle of the hill and locked up. He was still about 30 yards from the bird I just let him stand as long as he would with out saying anything. He then moved up the hill to the side (the wind changed on us) with the wind in his face again and stopped for about 2 min now only 20 yards as soon as he took a step I launched the bird as he turned to chase I fired the blank again. He is showing no sign of the noise bothering him. I wished I would have brought more birds but we were between rain showers and just a quick outing. Anyways just really proud of him and wanted to share.
Thanks for listening :D
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: A little break through on training

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Good job Went just like it is supposed. Nice to see the light come aint it?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 pm

yes I thought it would never happen and I was gonna have a pointing flusher :D but it is great to see them figure it out. Not sure if it was because the pigeons don't land back on the ground or the quail I was using were just flying to low and seemed like a easy target to catch. cant wait to get out again maybe Tuesday it seems the weather might just work with us.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Sounds like he's on his way :) :!:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Pigeon's don't normally land on the ground and quail not only fly to low, some times they don't go far and they always land back on the ground.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

big_fish wrote:My Brittany is 7 months old and every time I have planted birds he will catch sent and rush in and bump the bird or I have to launch it so he doesn't get into trouble with the launcher. I set the first pigeon in the launcher and brought him around as soon as he caught sent and turned I launched the bird and he chased it and I fired the blank on the second pigeon he came around and up a hill he caught sent at about the middle of the hill and locked up. He was still about 30 yards from the bird I just let him stand as long as he would with out saying anything. He then moved up the hill to the side (the wind changed on us) with the wind in his face again and stopped for about 2 min now only 20 yards as soon as he took a step I launched the bird as he turned to chase I fired the blank again. He is showing no sign of the noise bothering him. I wished I would have brought more birds but we were between rain showers and just a quick outing. Anyways just really proud of him and wanted to share.
Can't tell you how many times I have thought that. :) After 50 years I have finally learned -"Always bring more birds than you think you'll need!" LOL Glad it all worked out.

PS I was proud of my 2 setters to day too. Both locked up on a bird ( one backing) and along comes a lady with an uncontrolled dog , who ignored her commands and flushed the bird accidently.

Mine stuck it still( Good trial practice) , but the look on their faces was hilarious.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:18 pm

big_fish wrote: I wished I would have brought more birds but we were between rain showers and just a quick outing. Anyways just really proud of him and wanted to share.
Sounds all good to me!....But where did the birds go?, that you had?..you could have hunted for them?...they must have landed somewhere?---Just a quick outing- ?
Make hay while the sun shines! - For the dog! (imo)-I've often used the same two birds for more than one dog!? :wink: It's a breakthrough on hunting.But hey You enjoyed your time with the dog and that's just fine. ?

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm

the pigeons flew off back to the loft next time I will take 4 with me ( don't want to over due it ). maybe today have to wait for it to cool down a bit and hope it doesn't rain anymore. Kind of feel bad about complaining about the rain when some are going through the drought .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm

clipped wing/tied wing/dizzied/ and even 'cut' in the leg pigeon in your country are all available!..with a couple of birds! Or is it something else you are training this dog to do?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm

polmaise wrote:clipped wing/tied wing/dizzied/ and even 'cut' in the leg pigeon in your country are all available!..with a couple of birds! Or is it something else you are training this dog to do?
What are you talking about?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Good job Went just like it is supposed. Nice to see the light come aint it?
Yep, and IMO, you didn't need any more birds....You and the dog accomplished what was wanted and was a good time to quit for the day.

Good job,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:56 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
polmaise wrote:clipped wing/tied wing/dizzied/ and even 'cut' in the leg pigeon in your country are all available!..with a couple of birds! Or is it something else you are training this dog to do?
What are you talking about?

Ezzy
+ 1

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 am

birddogger wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Good job Went just like it is supposed. Nice to see the light come aint it?
Yep, and IMO, you didn't need any more birds....You and the dog accomplished what was wanted and was a good time to quit for the day.

Good job,
Charlie

Ditto what Charlie said. More ain't always better.

Mo

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:46 am

I did 2 more pigeons yesterday and he did fine again i can see we are heading in the right direction. next time we are heading to a differant field so as to not get place oriented thanks

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 am

birddogger wrote:

Good job,
Charlie
+1

I usually have 6 birds in the bag, but may only use half of them for a drill. The unneeded ones are turned loose to fly back. of course you can also walk with the dog in heel and use these "extra birds" to reinforce the cue to stop at the sight of the bird in the air.

Nate