developing a gundog

Double Shot Banks

developing a gundog

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Today, for the first time in a long time, after a few "failed" attempts in the past we tried the gun intro with banks. About 75-100 yards at first, using the method that Sharon was nice enough share with me he completely ignored the gun and couldn't care less about it when chasing the bird. he did this 4 times so well we moved to about 50 yards, and did it another 2 times perfect. He even showed signs like he wanted to run after the bird when the gun shot, (not scared at all, excited even)
Before today i was really worried about this. What a relief
I recorded it with my GoPro but havn't had the time to edit it yet. So i will have a video of it up soon.
Good first day.
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: developing a gundog

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Good for you Isaac,

Continue to take your time with the gun introduction. After just few of these repetitions, your dog will make a positive association with birds.

Nate

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Sounds like you are on your way to becoming a dog hunting nut!! Like the rest of us!!! Keep up the good work and you will soon have a dog like none other you have had or seen!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 am

good job young man don't get in a hurry take your time this is probably in my opinion one of the most important steps. I have used a different path in the past but have stopped being old fashoned and will do that method from now on good luck and keep up the good work.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:14 am

Great job its nice when a plan comes together.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:58 am

Great job.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Today, for the first time in a long time, after a few "failed" attempts in the past we tried the gun intro with banks. About 75-100 yards at first, using the method that Sharon was nice enough share with me he completely ignored the gun and couldn't care less about it when chasing the bird. he did this 4 times so well we moved to about 50 yards, and did it another 2 times perfect. He even showed signs like he wanted to run after the bird when the gun shot, (not scared at all, excited even)
Before today i was really worried about this. What a relief
I recorded it with my GoPro but havn't had the time to edit it yet. So i will have a video of it up soon.
Good first day.
Isaac and Banks

That is great. I'm glad it worked out. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett