Training book/dvd for the Versatile Dog

abradley0408

Training book/dvd for the Versatile Dog

Post by abradley0408 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am

It seems like all the book or dvd's I'm looking for are either for the upland dog or the waterfowl dog. I am having a hard time finding a program that covers it all. I want to get involved with NAVHDA, and also I plan on using my new GSP pup to do both waterfowl and upland hunting. Any suggestions would be helpful.

S&J gsp

Re: Training book/dvd for the Versatile Dog

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 pm

well there are two ways to do it Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson or the second way is to do it in two parts pick a pointing dog program and work through it than Force Fetch and train hand Signals later after a season of hunting.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:23 pm

If you are going to use your dog for upland and water fowl you will probably have to just buy both books or dvd. The best thing to do would be join your local NAVHDA group and attend some training days, experience is the best teacher. When you join you will get their "green book" which covers the basics of upland and water work as pertains to their testing. If you are looking for a more "lab type" retrieve training you could look for a HRC club in your area.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

abradley0408

Post by abradley0408 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:34 pm

S&J gsp wrote:well there are two ways to do it Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson or the second way is to do it in two parts pick a pointing dog program and work through it than Force Fetch and train hand Signals later after a season of hunting.
Has anyone had any experience with Training the Versatile Hunting Dog?

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 pm

It has some good information in it. I like a different approach than that is described in there I'm using training with Mo on my pup and the water part was shown to me about 15 years ago by a reteriver guy. It is hard to explain on the net.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Join your local NAVHDA chapter . I think you'll get alot of good hands on info there.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 pm

abradley0408 wrote:
S&J gsp wrote:well there are two ways to do it Training the Versatile Hunting Dog by Chuck Johnson or the second way is to do it in two parts pick a pointing dog program and work through it than Force Fetch and train hand Signals later after a season of hunting.
Has anyone had any experience with Training the Versatile Hunting Dog?
p

Yep. there are several that have.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:Join your local NAVHDA chapter . I think you'll get alot of good hands on info there.
+1....

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 am

NAVHDA's well and good (and then some), but none of the books cited, including the "Green Book," can hold a candle to "Training the Sporting Dog" for bringing along the versatile breeds and more importantly bringing you along as a trainer: http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/training.php

Training the Sporting Dog, a/k/a the "Orange Book" http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/storeitems.php beyond compare for outlining hands'-on training.

MG