Let me get this straight-- pigeon training

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:24 pm

If I properly card a wild pigeon, or pull its flight feathers, and place it in some cover, I should expect it to stay there until either I or the dog get too close?

And when one of us does get too close I should expect that bird to flush on its own?

Don't want the pup to catch these things!

Will be using wild pigeons that I trap.

deseeker

Re: Let me get this straight-- pigeon training

Post by deseeker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 pm

All carding a pigeon does is SHORTEN the distance it will fly(mainly used so you can use the same pigeon over again). If you pull a couple flight feathers, it will SHORTEN it's flight(mainly used so you can use the pigeon over again)---If you pull too many flight feathers, it won't be able to get off the ground(mainly used to get prey drive up on younger pups where you want it to catch a bird that jumps and flops around. If you don't want the dog to catch the bird, you are going to need a check cord and a helper, OR a remote launcher, OR a dog that is trained to where it lets you flush the bird.
You can try dizzying or sleeping the bird, but I'd still have a check cord on the dog and a helper to prevent the dog from catching the bird---in case you got it too dizzy or slept it to hard.

volraider

Post by volraider » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

The grass needs to be short enough for the bird to see the dog coming. I always fly birds out, just point them in the direction you want them and let them go. You want the card board big enough to keep him flying about 40 yards out, no trees.

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:16 pm

We've got trees everywhere, might have to resort to pulling feathers!

Mainly worried about the bird not flying off early!

Also worried about the pup not knowing we're out there to hunt birds, she gets distracted very easily wanting to play with anything and everything...mulch, flowers, garbage. Are wild pigeons smelly enough that she'll figure out they are around and that she needs to find them or do I need to squirt them with some sort of quail scent

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm

If you pull flight feathers, the bird will not fly off the ground on its own. We use birds with pulled flight feathers training the spaniels. You can throw the pigeon and it will flutter and fly a ways but can not sustain flight. If the bird is on the ground, it can not flush and fly on its own.

Also, a clip wing will walk off. they will move away from where you left it. I have seen clips move a long way and help teach a spaniel to trail out the birds.

Your best bet is going to be using a wire hut to hold the bird in place and also be able to let the bird flush when the hut is pulled back off the bird. But you will be going through birds doing this.

good luck!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I've had good luck tethering a pigeon with a string around a foot. You should use a leather tab around the foot and then the string thru the tab to be humane. No pulling flight feathers or clipping. 15 feet of string and the bird will naturally flush, hit the end of the string and fall. The blank is fired before or as the bird hits the end of the string.

HallesDad

Post by HallesDad » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:I've had good luck tethering a pigeon with a string around a foot. You should use a leather tab around the foot and then the string thru the tab to be humane. No pulling flight feathers or clipping. 15 feet of string and the bird will naturally flush, hit the end of the string and fall. The blank is fired before or as the bird hits the end of the string.
Makes sense, but if the dog flushes too soon what am I supposed to do? I don't think I should fire a blank if the dog messes up...aren't I supposed to let it fly away so the dog will learn not to spook the birds?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 pm

I haven't used one of these, but for what I imagine you are trying to do I think they would be the best bet.
http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/2375/hig ... leaser.htm

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

HallesDad wrote:
roaniecowpony wrote:I've had good luck tethering a pigeon with a string around a foot. You should use a leather tab around the foot and then the string thru the tab to be humane. No pulling flight feathers or clipping. 15 feet of string and the bird will naturally flush, hit the end of the string and fall. The blank is fired before or as the bird hits the end of the string.
Makes sense, but if the dog flushes too soon what am I supposed to do? I don't think I should fire a blank if the dog messes up...aren't I supposed to let it fly away so the dog will learn not to spook the birds?
What is it you are trying to have the dog learn? I took it that you have zero access to any area where wild birds are to be found and wanted the dog to learn that there are birds to be found in fields and it is incredible fun to actively seek them out.
It is much easier to "teach" the dog not to chase after the birds in a more controlled environment than random birds spread out over a large field.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 am

if you can afford it get a launcher, or you can also try making your own that maybe has a string attached that you can pull to let the bird fly out if the dog gets too close.