Training question

WillieELk78GSP

Training question

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 pm

I called the trainer that is training my GSP and he says she is doing awesome, he said she is steady to wing and shot now and that she just started holding while the bird falls and he can give the command to fetch, my question is he told me that she is not retrieving very well, she will go up to the bird but doesnt want to pick it up! He said get her to pick it up with alittle pushing. Is this a thing that is fixable? I asked him about force fetching the dog but he doesnt believe in that, he said if the dog has the natural ability to retrieve than great but if not just keep on trying to get her to retrieve by playing with her with dead birds, so i am not sure where i am at, he said he didnt want to hurt the dog by force fetching her.i want her to be able to do both waterfowl and upland and hunt tests so retrieving is kinda vital .

So what do you guys think my next move is ? The trainer is an awesome guy and a great trainer and i respect his belief on ff as well.
God Bless

SpringerDude

Re: Training question

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:30 am

How old is the GSP?

Was she retrieving before you sent her to the trainer?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am

Thank him for doing such a great job, and take her to another trainer to finish her with FF.

Neil

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:46 am

If you're going to break her steady to WSF, then I'd concentrate on that and get her right. Then worry about the retrieve later, maybe have another guy ff her later.

She's taking a lot of pressure getting broke. It's better to take it slow.

Doug

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:03 am

I'm focusing on getting my dog more hunting experience and keeping her steady to wing and shot rather than pushing retrieving.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 am

Neil wrote:Thank him for doing such a great job, and take her to another trainer to finish her with FF.

Neil

Because the trainer said, " I asked him about force fetching the dog but he doesnt believe in that",
:) I agree
Last edited by Del Lolo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:34 am

The poster that said your dog is going through a lot of pressure right now has it right, I think. If it were my dog I would have the trainer maintain the focus on the steady to wing shot and fall and get the dog happy and confident doing that correctly. You want the dog standing there, high headed and proud, not moving a toenail throughout wing shot and fall. If the dog does that...you got a whole lot of dog there. From what you are saying, the dog is not far from there, so if its was me, and that is HUGE.

I would have the trainer keep doing what they are doing. You want the dog bold, confident and happy around its birds. Too much pressure or trying to move too fast can take away from that.

It is entirely possible, even fairly likely, that with time, patience and repetition, the situation will resolve itself.

The trained retrieve can come later on, if that becomes necessary or desirable.

Patience...is a virtue that, I for one, do not possess enough of.

RayG

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:22 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:I called the trainer that is training my GSP and he says she is doing awesome, ... i want her to be able to do both waterfowl and upland and hunt tests so retrieving is kinda vital .

So what do you guys think my next move is ? The trainer is an awesome guy and a great trainer and i respect his belief on ff as well.
I think you said how you feel about the trainer. Go with your gut. Nothing is vital about dogs or your dog retrieving. This is all recreation. Keep the big picture perspective. You have a dog steady to wing and shot. That's something most bird hunters will never see let alone see their own dog do. Appreciate it. Covet it. Maintain it.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 am

I would make sure that what you are saying in your post is exactly what the trainer is saying. If he is truly saying that he does not believe in force retrieve training as it pertains to its efficacy, or if he means using it at this time in the training plan is not what he would recommend. If he is really saying that he believes that the dog needs to have the desire to retrieve and force retrieve training will not work , find another trainer. Giving the trainer the benefit of the doubt , he may want to build up the dogs natural desire to retrieve before making an evaluation to force.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes the trainer did say thay he didnt believe in it at all, i like the trainer he is very good with my dog, he will not ff so i might have to do it myself! Thanks everyone
God Bless

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 pm

How old is the dog?

Was it retrieving before you sent it to the trainer?

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:25 pm

SpringerDude wrote:How old is the dog?

The dog is 15 months old, and she retrieved but it was a tennis ball, i gave her some dead birds but never made her play fetch with them, probably should have though!
God Bless

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 am

There's no need to Force fetch at all. Just find what your dog loves and use it to get your dog excited about retrieving. This works with all breeds and sizes of dogs but its up to you as the owner who knows the dog best to find what it will take to do this. Here's an example from a friend of mine. His dog refused to retrieve birds. Loved chasing them was steady to wing and shot then just like yours didn't want to get it and bring it back without a lot of encouragement. His dog however loved frisbee and tennis balls. All he did was tape some feathers on the frisbee and ball. Within a few weeks he transitioned to birds and the dog loved it, it was like playing with its favorite thing in the world. To me its going to be a much better retrieve that way anyway. The dog is going to want to do it because it enjoys it, not because its afraid of getting shocked or pinched by a collar and you will definitely see the difference. My 2 cents

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:28 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:
SpringerDude wrote:How old is the dog?

The dog is 15 months old, and she retrieved but it was a tennis ball, i gave her some dead birds but never made her play fetch with them, probably should have though!

There you go. Since she would play fetch with a ball and she did not play fetch with dead birds well, then don't think she is going to do it in the midst of other training. Wait until the steadying is completed. Then see if she will still play fetch with the ball. if so, then transition to birds. You need to understand that teaching dogs is one step at a time. No need to turn one drill into a different one ... ie steadying drill into a retrieving drill.

Good luck!