Kennel training

SanerSoft

Re: Kennel training

Post by SanerSoft » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Wow! You guys make dog training sound so hard. It's really a lot simpler than all that. Too many gadgets and gimmicks. All you really need is a pinch collar, a check cord and a e collar. Course I'm a Dave Walker guy. 8) Doug
My journey to learning how to train my first pointer pup has brought me full circle to the exact same conclusion. At one point I was prepared to not hunt my 10 month old GWP pup this fall and wait until she was steady wing and shot. Now I am going to hunt the dog this and start steadying her next summer using the methods detailed in Martha Greenlee's book "Training With Mo" which I am sure you know is based on how Dave Walker trains (Dave's book is out of production) .
"Train with intimacy, not intimidation. Train with your head not your hand. Never let anything bad happen to your dog that can be associated with you. Always position your dog to self-train." ... Bill Tarrant

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 am

SanerSoft wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Wow! You guys make dog training sound so hard. It's really a lot simpler than all that. Too many gadgets and gimmicks. All you really need is a pinch collar, a check cord and a e collar. Course I'm a Dave Walker guy. 8) Doug
My journey to learning how to train my first pointer pup has brought me full circle to the exact same conclusion. At one point I was prepared to not hunt my 10 month old GWP pup this fall and wait until she was steady wing and shot. Now I am going to hunt the dog this and start steadying her next summer using the methods detailed in Martha Greenlee's book "Training With Mo" which I am sure you know is based on how Dave Walker trains (Dave's book is out of production) .
I believe many come to this same realization after much struggling. I thank Mo Lindley for his kindness and help since meeting him.

I studied the Hickox method for years and after much exposure I realized Hickox was even more skilled as a marketer.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 am

SanerSoft wrote:
I recommend Martha's book. But you can often find Dave's books at abe.com. American Book Exchange. You need both.

Neil